Why isn't Emby available in the Samsung store for all countries?

eddienanousi
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

that's why I hate vendor-specific app stores...
I think the most easiest solution for every Samsung user would just be a GoogleChromeCast or similar solutions...

Then, no issues with their own app store rules anymore.

that's why I hate vendor-specific app stores...

I think the most easiest solution for every Samsung user would just be a GoogleChromeCast or similar solutions...

Then, no issues with their own app store rules anymore.

All platforms have this. You ran into Apple store rules or Google Play rules, or Roku or whatever, there is no escape. I heard Samsung is among the worst platforms to publish to and I'm not sure it has anything to do with quality control because the Plex clients are full of bugs and mainly unusable on the 2016 models.

I have two Chromecasts, they have their own problems and limitations :(

The thing here is that this topic is over two years old so maybe it would be time to decide on the matter. From where I'm standing the situation looks pretty simple: Samsung is the largest TV manufacturer so I wouldn't afford to ignore the platform but I have also no leverage against them so I would have to do what they're asking in order to be present there. In this case if this means requiring Emby Premiere then so be it. Buying a streaming device to avoid this this would be more expensive and I understand in some cases will require a Premiere subscription anyway. Of course, @@Luke may have a different vantage point but sometimes it help to simplify the issue. :)

miniliQuid

Maybe we should all just start sending complaints to samsung about why we cannot find the Emby app on their Europe region TVs ;)

miniliQuid

Maybe we should all start sending complaints to Samsung about why there is no Emby on our Europe region TVs :D

God knows they earned it since they barely do anything with complaints and feedback.

Switched my monitor from Samsung to BenQ and phone from Samsung (for 6-8 years) to google Pixel 3.

Won't replace my TV for a long long time to come, but would be the next and final step (except for advising others to never buy samsung again).

Used to be a fan years back, but they have been less than accomodating in almost every aspect.

FrostByte

Have you ever called Samsung tech support for anything?  I called once about my old Orsay TV and I think banging head against a board with sharp rusty nails sticking out of it would have been less painful.  If it's not on their little script they go by then they don't have a clue what the answer is and the next level of support just repeats everything you just went through with the last person.  It's like the Twilight Zone, but worse

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

Luke is it a possibility to just charge $3 to $5 for the app itself and at worst case just let Samsung keep the whole thing?  That at least would get more users and of course get Premiere sales for the server functionality.  I know that would suck but...

• Like 2

Luke is it a possibility to just charge $3 to $5 for the app itself and at worst case just let Samsung keep the whole thing? That at least would get more users and of course get Premiere sales for the server functionality. I know that would suck but...

I’d be OK with that if it is indeed possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi.  We're trying to work this out.  Samsung is not interested in doing custom deals.  They have a set contract with large monetary commitments.  Period.

• Like 1

So you’d have to commit to a large amount of money without actually knowing how many new Premiere subscriptions you’ll get to cover that amount? Kinda of a leap of faith...

Were there different requirements for the three countries where it’s already released?

The US release or developer home country release is free. Not sure which of the two that is, but, US did not cost us anything. The other two, I won't go into the details of our contract with them, but it was a little easier. But to expand any further will now require a commitment from us.

• Like 2

I understand. And giving the nature of the Emby server I assume you have no idea on how many people are using the Samsung client (unless the Samsung store provides some info) so it’s hard to predict if the additional revenue will cover the costs. Difficult decision to make, I understand why it’s taking so long.

Well, I’ll keep an eye on this forum section to see if anything happens. Until then I have to hope that Plex will fix its Tizen client...

Interesting, im looking at the samsung app availability in AUS, and there are a tonne of really crap, nasty apps on the appstore, that are either russian, asian, or from other international countries, and there is no way that any of these would be paying big money to samsung to allow for publishing. Wonder how they got around it?

Some examples (all video apps)

Arm TVs

NhacCuaTui

Megogo

Sun NXT

Hmara.TV

Vizbee

Lyca TV

Shalom World

Yupp TV

iottott.tv

arti yerel medya

EITB

Mubi

Izi Tv

list goes on.

Terrible, international apps, with highly unlikely ability for large upfront payment deals..

Maybe you can reference these in your samsung negotiations?

Would it be option maybe to make it unofficial?

For example there is no TwitchTV app for my Samsung (UE60KS7002U). I got it installed was to switch TV into Developer mode and load the app from PC with Tizen Studio. I am not developer and certainly even less of a one when it comes to TVs, but i got it working. Ofc everyone would only do this at their own risk.

Edited by KouDy

k0Lm.

I dont know but i wouldnt pay for an emby app the way it is working right now, too many bugs imo. On other platforms (e.g. browser/mobile) it works descent.

Ultroman

Show me where to throw my money, Sensei Luke! :)

I'd be more than happy to pay for Premiere, if that's all it'd take. The only reason why I don't have Premiere, is because I wouldn't have a use for any of the features currently included. But I have a Samsung TV, and if they haven't budged in 2 years, I don't think they ever will. I do understand, though, that it's not preferable since it goes against your whole monetization strategy for the apps. I just really want the app. The old one is terribly slow.

• 1 month later...
hErEsy

@@Luke,

Thank you for the infos provided.

I have given up finally on Samsung. Last week, sold my Samsung and got an Android TV (even though ...*yuck*). Then setup Emby there. This makes the wait much much more relaxing.

And then I found out - the Android Emby App is sooooo nice. Not sure if I ever switch back now. 

So, in essence - > lost Sales opportunity for Samsung. Count 1.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
PeterAndersson

Finally a solution, now i can start thinking about getting premium, thanks!!!!!

* I have a few questions will it update it self or do i have to do it manually?

* What features do i unlock in this app if i get premium?

Finally a solution, now i can start thinking about getting premium, thanks!!!!!

* I have a few questions will it update it self or do i have to do it manually?

* What features do i unlock in this app if i get premium?

The app will tell you when an update is available. It's crude right now, a dialog on starting the app, but it works.

With Emby Premiere you can unlock all of the features listed here:

https://emby.media/premiere.html

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !