Emby for WMC will not direct play a specific TV Show.

jfarre20
Go to solution Solved by jfarre20,

jfarre20

Its the strangest thing, but one TV show on my system always transcodes when launched thru Emby for WMC on any of my systems. 

I see the following in the logs when this happens:

2016-11-10 20:30:18.1159 Error ServerManager: SessionWebSocketListener failed processing WebSocket message Context
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 3.1.215.0
    Command line: C:\Users\svcs\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
    Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
    64-Bit OS: True
    64-Bit Process: True
    Processor count: 4
    Program data path: C:\Users\svcs\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server
    Application Path: C:\Users\svcs\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
    Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: id
    System.ArgumentNullException
     at Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.LibraryManager.GetItemById(Guid id)
     at Emby.Server.Implementations.Session.SessionManager.ReportNowViewingItem(String sessionId, String itemId)
     at Emby.Server.Implementations.Session.SessionWebSocketListener.ProcessContextMessage(WebSocketMessageInfo message)
     at Emby.Server.Implementations.Session.SessionWebSocketListener.ProcessMessage(WebSocketMessageInfo message)
     at Emby.Server.Implementations.ServerManager.ServerManager.<>c__DisplayClass25_0.<<ProcessWebSocketMessageReceived>b__1>d.MoveNext()

I am able to launch the file from the network share directly into WMC and it plays back directly, so I know codecs aren't an issue. 

Other shows in the same HDD/share play back correctly, so its not a path issue, and other MKV files play back properly. It just seems to happen on any of the video files in my season 01 folder of a show on my NAS.

Any ideas?

Emby Server Version 3.1.215.0 beta 

Emby for WMC Version 3.0.307.0

Edited by jfarre20

• Solution
jfarre20

I was able to fix this by mapping network drives on the client with the same letters as the respective media drives on the server. 

I'm not sure why I have to do this now, nothing changed except I updated Emby classic and Emby server.

I guess path substitution is not working for certain folders?

I would not use mapped drives.  Share them out as UNC paths and then go into your library setup and enter those as the "Network path".  That has replaced the path substitution.