Odd Issue with Transcoding Temp Path

jon@spoonamore.net

jon@spoonamore.net

Just noticed something odd with Emby Server.

When playing a specific movie from Roku using the Emby App, the Dashboard shows the movie is Direct-Playing.  It shows the Green Progress Bar I would normally see.  But, it is also showing a Red Progress Bar indicating Transcoding.  Checked the Transcoding Temp Path.  And sure enough, there are a bunch of ".ts" files created.  The total size of the ".ts" files roughly equal in size to the original ".mp4" video file.

If I play the same movie from the WEB Interface on a PC, the Dashboard shows it's Direct-Playing and with the normal Green Progress Bar.  No Red Transcoding Progress Bar displayed or any files created in the Transcoding Temp Path.

I'm at a loss as to what Emby is doing when Direct-Playing to a Roku????  Any ideas????

I'm running Emby Server 3.0.8500.0 on Manjaro 16.10 with 32GB of RAM and an E5-2658 v3 CPU.

I currently have the Transcoding Temp Path pointed to a 8GB a mounted TMPFS.

If it says Direct Stream, it means the video is direct streaming but we might be repackaging the data into a new output container, so that is probably what we're doing in this case.

• Like 1

jon@spoonamore.net

Ok.  Thanks for the info.

If two or more people on Roku are watching the same movie, will Emby Server be smart enough not to create two or more repackagings????  That's a lot of File-Space to be wasting on Direct-Play videos.  I purposely transcode all my videos in my Library to ".mp4" (X264/mp3 to either 480p, 720p or 1080p specs).  I wanted to eliminate transcoding all together!!!  I have not had this issue before and can not tell you what version of Emby Server it started.

I guess I'll just increase my TMPFS size.  I have had up to 4 people on my server at a time.  If Roku's are going to cause this phenomenon, I need to make sure there is plenty of space in the Transcoding Temp Folder.  Many of my media files run up to 8GB in size.  Maybe, I just need to put this folder back on the harddrive.

They are not shared but they are cleaned up as soon as the user stops playback. If it is already plain old mp4 you can probably get a full direct play by increasing the max bitrate setting in the app. We are working on an overhaul of the app and soon you'll have an automatic bitrate value that will give you a higher value by default which means more direct play.

• Like 1