[2.3.8] Unspecified error during connecting with Emby Server

Emby Tower
Go to solution Solved by Angelblue05,

Emby Tower

I just updated to addon version 2.3.8 and now I get error notifications from the addon every few seconds ... There are no additional informations ...

spmc.log

Emby Tower

Ok thanks for reporting, looking into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Additional information: The problem is with Kodi 16.1 (on Nvidia SHIELD), with the actual Krypton Beta 5 (on Windows 10 Build 1607) everything is fine ...

Angelblue05

I think for some reason the python version differs and that's why this is happened. Not to worry it is fixable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Angelblue05

The python version being different is the only explanation. SPMC is the branch that split off from Kodi, for android devices. It's still Kodi in essence, but maintained by an ex-kodi dev.

@

You want to take care of this or should I? Essentially, split the lines and create a with statement for each connection should fix it.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

Everything works fine. It always worked fine with spmc. It's just the syntax we have to rectify for the database connection? Why is it such a big deal?

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

I think SPMC follows the Kodi flow, otherwise the project would not survive (all the skin and add-ons that would then be incompatible). I think we can make this an exception as it was working just fine previously.

RC is fair call because the database structure is modified and keeps being modified until that point. I don't think we support SPMC explicitly, however if the syntax is not universally working for each python interpreter, it's up to us to modify it. As I've done countless times in the past (especially regarding how xml etree works differently for each python version out there). It's just how python is.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

Of course, the database connection is the extant of how far I'll go to fix this. If it still doesn't work I don't really have an interest in fixing it as I agree with you on that we should only focus on official Kodi builds. That is, does Kodi even have an official android build anymore?

Edited by Angelblue05

Emby Tower

@null_pointer: Since the Kodi devs have no android maintainer anymore, SPMC is the much better solution for a stable Kodi on Android. And since Emby addon 2.3.6 everything was perfect, SPMC itself is using only the code for the Kodi final releases (so it is 16.1) with little improvments for fixing android-specific bugs. All skins and addons for Kodi are fully compatible ...

My wish is only to fix the bug for the actual Kodi stable release, not more ... ;)

Emby Tower

Of course, the database connection is the extant of how far I'll go to fix this. If it still doesn't work I don't really have an interest in fixing it as I agree with you on that we should only focus on official Kodi builds. That is, does Kodi even have an official android build anymore?

There are official android builds of Kodi, but no android specific improvments or bugfixes ...

• Like 1

Angelblue05

I think python is set when the Kodi build is compiled (it's not part of the core structure). So it's quite possible SPMC has everything Kodi has, except it's using a different python for linux. Perhaps some core module are older, or missing which what the new code depends on. I've seen some weird stuff coming from different Kodi versions, some errors where the code works everywhere except for specific builds like OpenElec, or LibreElec.

Anyway to tell is to make a test build with the modifications I mentioned and we'll know for sure.

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

I don't think the with is really the issue. I think it's the "with blah as bleh, blah as bleh" that's the issue. It must be using some special protocol to support declaring two vars with one with statement.

Seems supported only 2.7 and 3 https://docs.python.org/2/reference/compound_stmts.html#the-with-statement

Perhaps SPMC is using a 2.6+ (pre 2.7) python. Trouble is, with the error it's masking that logging part of our add-on so we can't tell unless this is fixed.

Changed in version 2.7: Support for multiple context expressions.

Prior to this, you'd have to use contextlib.nested to get the same effect.

Found a post that supports this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/893333/multiple-variables-in-python-with-statement

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

All in all, this is all speculation as we can't see the logging line. I don't think they are in fact using 2.6, it's more likely the python build just doesn't include support for nested with statement somehow must be missing that part of the code that was added with 2.7.

Edited by Angelblue05

• Solution
Angelblue05

@

Try this build, let me know how it works out for you. Could you also provide your log so we can settle the python version being used? Thanks :)

Edit: I pushed out a new beta version (2.3.9) containing the fix here. Thanks for reporting the issue.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 2

Emby Tower

@

Try this build, let me know how it works out for you. Could you also provide your log so we can settle the python version being used? Thanks :)

I'm back again ...  :D

The new version works like a charme ...

BTW: Renaming boxsets will be done via manual sync now, I will test it with fanart tomorrow ... Will it ever be done automatically?!

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Awesome, don't forget to post your log then.

Also, I'm sure it will be done automatically at some point. The reason it's not currently is a server-side limitation, no events is generated when boxsets are modified. So nothing is made aware of changes, and therefore can only be picked up when doing a manual sync.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...