External subtitles not always displayed

barat

Hi,

I have a strange problem ...

For example in one dir I have season of Lucifer where each mkv has txt subs like file name ...

Problem is, that for one video subs are displayed (but polish accents don't display correctly), and for other there is no subs (no matter if I try to watch through KODI or Windows Firefox) ...

I attached logs from "successful" try, and no subs try.

I'm not using path substitution since I prefer that server will stream everything (but have hope, that for x264 it will not transcode), but maybe I messed up with server config?

no-subtitles-ffmpeg-remux-3265e7d6-1539-4579-8620-dde38d5bf855.txt

no-subtitles-server-63614141652.txt

subtitles-ffmpeg-remux-813b2d06-bff1-4a35-aaf5-11a3e43421bb.txt

subtitles-server-63614141652.txt

Ok ... solved both issues ... i had subtitles in MPL2 from napiprojekt saved as .txt ... EMBY just don't like them :/

I used "To SRT Converter 2.1.0" to convert those to UTF8 and renamed them to XXX.pol.srt - now it works OK ...

Weird thing is, that for example VLC on windows or KODI on Windows/android box (accessing directly from mounted smb) are omening those txt files and play them without problem ...

Example file attached

Lucifer.S02E06.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION.txt

Using a txt file just has never come up before. I suppose we could add it but you're really the first person I've seen expecting a txt file to be handled as subtitles.

Well ... i mostly have embedded or srt, but it seems, that those was auto-downloaded from napiprojekt by KODI (without Emby addon) ... on napiprojekt (popular in PL) MPL2 mostly are txt ...

If it's possible make EMBY smart as VLC where user doesn't care of subtitle format ... but I suppose that it wont be a priority :)

It's not a problem to convert subs from time to time.

BTW. It woul'd be nice to have an option in emby serv, where I can check, that if external subs missing lang indicator (like subs.srt instead subs.pol.srt) then those should be served as my default language of choice.

Now externals without lang part displayed as subs with language "unknown" ;)

• Like 1

BTW. It woul'd be nice to have an option in emby serv, where I can check, that if external subs missing lang indicator (like subs.srt instead subs.pol.srt) then those should be served as my default language of choice.

Now externals without lang part displayed as subs with language "unknown" ;)

Yes that's a very good idea, thanks.

May I know why EMBY won't allow subs, which are playing fine for VLC or Media Player Classic?

.srt's subtitles encoded in ANSI format (used to display accented characters on MANY Countries except English ones) is supported everywhere...except in EMBY for Linux distributions. I have started a long thread about this and supposedely it's being looked into. For now, the only way of workaround is:

a) using KODI and dont stream anything from the server (or the problem will continue)

or

B) convert the subs to UTF-8 (standard for English countries). Which I wont do...cause i have over 7000 video files :)

Cheers

EDIT: Check the thread ive opened 2.5 months ago, like stated above.

Edited by djhifi

About UTF-8 ... IMO this should be used everywhere, but unfortunately it's not :( For "english countries" almost any encoding will work, because there is no accents ;) UTF-8 is universal.

If You're software dev and You're using databases then it's natural that You make UTF8 your default choice :)

Edited by barat

solabc16

Hi @@barat

Be sure to keep a track of this thread as well, https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/39560-subtitle-ansi-marking-on-accented-characters/.

The ideal world and real world may converge one day, but it's probably not something we should wait for.

The media industry is certainly not unique in having to deal with inconsistent implementations, competing technologies, ambiguous specifications, etc. The sheer number of ways to deliver and consume media today, means that the number of possible combinations is always likely to result in their being some problem areas. It's pretty remarkable just how well it does work, all things considered.

As with most things, there's always room to improve...

- James

I cannot get subtitles to work at all... i tried external *.ass , internal, forced, not forced...nothing shows up (i can choose them but they just won´t show up).

Is there a bug or something in the current server build?

solabc16

Hello @@LeftyCD

Do provide the information requested above, but as a heads up can you let me know what server version you are running and what client you were using for playback.

-James

Yes, sorry for not providing more information.

Server is running on the DS216play, at the moment i am on 3.1.211.0-1 beta, but i am pretty sure it also didn´t work on the latest stable.

Main playback device is Xbox One (Emby Theater), also no success on Edge Browser, only time i could get the subtitles to work is with KODI on Fire TV Stick.

I looked at the server log and found that it is complaining about unsupported subtitles, but then i don´t understand why Kodi could run it.

Server Log attached.

Thank you for your help!

Log.txt

Hi,

i only can provide the mediainfo from another episode, because i hardcoded the subs for that particular episode that i can watch it.

But this one should be exactly the same format (all are the same, and subs didn´t work for any of them).

post-114482-0-46932000-1479151986_thumb.jpg

You said Edge does not work, is that using the Emby Theater web app in Edge, the built-in web app, or both?

That was just putting in the server url in Edge, so the built in web app i would say.

I also received an update for Emby Theater on Xbox one yesterday and tested again, unfortunately no change. 

Edited by LeftyCD

the issue is that we're burning them in with server transcoding and this might just be a little painful for your setup. 

Yes i mean natively it does not support it. Xbox One seems to only support .srt subs.

Also i had to disable transcoding, because Emby still wants to transcode many x265 files although xbox is capable of playing them.

The only option that was still enabled on my server was the last one, something with extracting the video without transcoding it (what is this for? ), so the server basically just extracted the video but couldn´t burn the subs.

I think until hardware transcoding is possible for the ds216play it doesn´t look good for me :(

Or maybe xbox will just have proper subtitle support in the future.

Thanks for your help Luke.