Music Video and Concert Handling

mistervee

mistervee

I have been a long time user of HTPC software including Windows MC, Media Portal, XBMC and too many metadata managers to list. I have settled with XBMC and recently and starting to use media browser server for my metadata management. The server is a great piece of software but like most others it has not the best music video and concert handling. Im not sure why but this is the way it is and most programs seem to lack decent support for this and usually get so far and just stop development on the music video side.

So when i decent say support i mean pulling all the correct descriptions for the *.nfo and cover art ect.   

Let make some things clear. Music videos and music concerts should be classified as separate entities.

music video = around 5 min video clip and can be identified from the file name usually artist-song.ext. (they can be associated with an album)

music concerts = around an hour or more and usually released on dvd just like movies and usually listed on TMDB. (they cant be associated with an album only a dvd release)

How can this be handled?

**music videos

D:\Music Videos
               \Artist Name
                    artist-song.mp4
                    artist-song2.mp4

Above is a standard file structure i see with most software. 

Now if we think for a minute mp3s are handled well, getting all the correct album/artist descriptions and artwork ect. So i would think a similar method of retrieving information could be used for music videos just using the artist and song name. 

Music brainz can search for 'recordings' you can simply type in artist-song. If you pick the first type that is 'album' in the list you can get a good match for the music brainz id. Then you can use the id to pull any additional data.

**music concerts

D:/Music Concerts
               /Concert Name (year)
                      Concert name.avi

/Concert Name2 (2008)
                     Concert name 2.mkv

For this movies work well in the server. Id imagine using an almost identical scraper under a new media type music concerts. This is the same way i get concerts to work in XBMC. I simply use the TMDB movie scraper script, make a copy and change a couple of lines in the xml file to make it use the music video database.

Thanks for the great software. I am just hoping now the music video/concert section will get some TLC

• Like 1

you can do all of that with us. we have a music video type and it's covered in the wiki. for concerts just classify them as movies. we just don't have any internet metadata yet for the music video type so they will require some manual work in that regard if you want to be able to see the artist name and things like that.

• 4 weeks later...
Schroinx

Now they show up in Movies by Genre. That's not optimal as it is not movies. Is there an easy way to assign a new genre to many titles at once/batch?

Second problem is with documentaries. I have a few BBC documentaries in 8-10 episodes, but in my mind they are not movies and not TV shows. What to do?

Schroinx

I am having the same challenge here as I have a collection of concert dvds. If I use movies for concerts, then it becomes a mess. Is the a solution for it?

steve1977

Some thoughts below:

Documentaries - I would suggest adding them as tv-shows. There is a genre "documentaries" that you can use to only see them. Once playlists are implemented, you can define a playlist with all tvshows with genre "documentaries" and add them as a separate group.

Concerts - I would suggest adding them as movies (same as they are on TMDB and IMDB). Again, they have a genre, which is typically called "music", but you can also change this manually to "concerts". Again, you can filter by genre. And once playlists are implemented you can create a list.

Music videos (clips) - I would suggest adding them as music and also read the tags the same as music does. This would be the same way how itunes does it, which for me appears most natural. Also, there are more and more albums coming out (like the latest Beyoncé), which are a mix between songs and video clips. Yet another reason to keep them together and read from the tags (MP3 / MP4 / M4V / etc.)

Thanks!!!

Schroinx

Maybe I need to change my old habits ;-)

I have always used this:

top level - media collection

-Movies

-Movies (not for kids)

-TV Shows

-Concerts

-Ducomentary

-Music Videos

I use itunes for music, so don't even talk about that :-)

It is logic because when I start to look for something to watch, I know that kind I would prefer from the beginning, a movie or a concert. I don't want all of it to be in the same pot, because then it will show up when sorting by year, not only the movies we're am interested in, but altso all the other stuff and that makes it harder to find the relevant stuf, if I have to browse through 10 tv shows when looking for documentary, or 10 documentaries, when looking for a tv show. And when I have agreed to watch a movie with the wife, it is not a concert :-) 

Maintaining playlists is a pain in the a...  And without a batch genre editor, genre is also a pain: click title, scroll down to genre, type new genre, click add, delete unwanted entries, scroll down and clock save. Next title. Repeat.

i would set them as music videos

Doesn't that eliminate metadata retrieval?  About 80% of mine are on tmdb.

...And without a batch genre editor, genre is also a pain: click title, scroll down to genre, type new genre, click add, delete unwanted entries, scroll down and clock save. Next title. Repeat.

Install GenreCleaner, configure, forget.

Koleckai Silvestri

Install GenreCleaner, configure, forget.

GenreCleaner can't look at the folder something is in and say "Add this Genre to all content within" though. At least I didn't see that functionality.

I am still hoping playlists can even be used as top level lists. This way I can remove things like Anime and Documentaries from the general television view in Media Browser Theater and show them as their own views across the top. Originally, I though that was the point of Media Folders but they are hidden under Collections and it isn't very intuitive.

Edited by Wayne Luke

Doesn't that eliminate metadata retrieval?  About 80% of mine are on tmdb.

it can be improved. right now it eliminates automatic retrieval, but if you enter an external id manually (or it already has one), then it proceeds as normal from there.

Schroinx

Is there a work around? As I understand it, all media folders with the same content type, e.g. Movies, will show up in say a 'sort by year' even thou they are located in different Media Folders. But the content of the Adult does not, so it could be used for say concerts (if it was not used for its original purpose).

How is the mixed folders treated?

Schroinx

I guess my real question is why it is not allowed to make as many Media Folders as one would wish, with separate content. That would give a lot of flexibility.

Edited by Schroinx

Koleckai Silvestri

You can make as many Media Folders as you want. When you enter those Media Folders, you only see and sort content within them. If you had a Music Video Media Folder, that is all you would see. The Movie, TV and Music Views are just that... Views containing all the content assigned to those types. These combine media folders into a single view.

Assigning a type of media, say concerts, to another media type, say adult, doesn't solve the problem you're trying to solve. It only eliminates proper metadata collection on your items. Look at the screenshot below. If I want to see all my Documentaries (mixed folder type containing movies and television series), then I click on Documentaries. If I want Anime Series, then I click on Anime Series. TV Shows and Movies at the top show an amalgamation of the Media Folders underneath.

3Gr52Qg.jpg

Currently this is the workaround. Hopefully in the future with Playlists based on genre and tags, we can get more creative in displaying our libraries across clients. For instance I would like to add and remove views up top using playlists. I don't necessarily want Knut (a documentary) showing in my Movies list.

• Like 1