Emby Server keeps updating to Beta

hansolo77

hansolo77

I've noticed in the last few weeks that my Kodi client was taking a very long time (upwards of 5 minutes) to scan the Emby Server library for new updates.  I thought I had the plugin installed (Fast Startup Sync (Server Plugin)) to make it go much faster.  When I checked the server, it was no longer listed.  I tried installing it again, but it never showed up as installed after restarting the server.  I inquired about it, and discovered the problem with the whole thing was because the plugin is registered to only work on the current stable release of the server, and my version was several leaps ahead of that.  According to Luke, I must have installed a beta version at one point to test a fix of some other problem I was having.  This sounds completely plausible as I've often had issues that were solved by doing that.  The solution Luke said was to install the latest stable release over top of the version I have installed.  That worked great up until a new version of Emby Server was released just a couple days ago.  When that happened, Emby installed the latest BETA instead, and that disabled all my plugins again.  I had to go back in and manually install the latest stable again.  Something somewhere got borked, as I never noticed I was running a beta version until the Quick Sync plugin suddenly stopped working just a few weeks ago.  Up until then, everything was working perfectly fine.

Is there any way, like manipulating the registry or some config xml file, to fix the problem with Emby installing beta versions?  I'd hate to have to uninstall Emby completely and reinstall it, but I'll go that far if I must.  I just feel like there has to be some little "bit" somewhere that is set to 1 and needs changed to 0 for something like "install beta = 1".  The problem with installing from scratch again means I lose all my profiles I've got set up, and all the various transcoding settings that I've finally got working the right way.

So yeah, any help?

Happy2Play

Are you reinstalling from the download page?  The new install process changes the update level in the config file.  Only other way is manually changing the file and manually getting the server zip file from GitHub.

hansolo77

Yes I'm installing from the download page.  Is that not where I'm supposed to get it from?  I'm sorry I'm just kinda lost.

Happy2Play

I assume this is a Windows install.  Have no idea why the installer is not working for you but the manual process is like this:

Shut down server

Navigate to "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\config\system.xml" and edit the file

Locate <SystemUpdateLevel>Beta</SystemUpdateLevel> and change Beta to Release and save

Reinstall Stable version from website or manually get the release from GitHub extract "system" folder and replace your System folder in "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\"

Start server

hansolo77

My "<SystemUpdateLevel> is already set to release.  Maybe the latest update fixed it.  I'll have to wait till a new update comes to see for sure.

hansolo77

Sorry I'm just getting back.  I'm sick so I spent all day yesterday sleeping.

I just got home from work (early leave because I'm sick) and checked.  Now Emby Server is showing I have 3.1.6024.25990.  About the time you asked though, yes I was running 3.0.8500.0, downloaded from the website.  I'm going to try the other route of downloading from the GitHub.

I'm using the scheduled task of "Updater" that I got from a thread here.  It downloaded, installed, and restarted Emby for me.  It's scheduled to do that at noon.  It's 2:55 here now, so the update must have happened a few hours ago.

My task reads as "C:\Users\Aaron\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\Updater\Emby.ServerUpdater.exe -restart -download".

-----

Update...  I grabbed the latest version from GitHub, shut down the server, extracted all the files to the correct path, restarted the server, then looked in the dashboard.  Everything was right, and now 3.0.8500.0.  Then I ran the scheduled task, let it run it's thing, then reloaded the dashboard.  Now it shows 3.1.6024.25990.  So apparently the Updater is downloading the latest beta, ignoring the settings set in the dashboard.  Maybe I should report that on it's thread?

Edited by hansolo77

hansolo77

I saw that post as well, and have already tried his method.  That's why I mentioned I did that same there here as well.  I'm having all kinds of problems with Emby.  I disabled the scheduled task to check for updates, and have restarted Emby server multiple times to verify it stayed on the correct version.  Now when I switch over to my client, I'm only seeing 3 TV shows out of the 120 or so I have.  I've tried rebuilding the database, and it shows it going through each TV show/episode.  But when it's done, it's the same 3 shows (the ones I just recently added today).  I'm thinking maybe this new problem is fixable by rescanning my paths.  But the automatic updater schedule task is still grabbing a beta.

I would just suggest installing from the website and not using a custom updater.

And yes, going back from dev/beta to stable would cause your plugins to disappear which I gave you advanced notice about in that other topic.

Update...  I grabbed the latest version from GitHub

I don't know why you are doing this. We have never suggested or asked anyone to install or download something from Github. We have designed the installation and update process so that the only place you ever need to go is our website:

https://emby.media/download.html

I am sorry that you are having "all kinds of problems with Emby", but it looks like you are doing lots of customized things here instead of just keeping it simple. Just keep it simple, forget the custom updater, install from the website, and avoid switching back and forth between different update channels (dev/beta/stable). If you do those things i think you will have a much better experience.

hansolo77

Luke.. I appreciate you're willing to help.  I'm not really doing anything customary.  The only "custom" thing I have is changing out the artwork for various folders.  As for the "never asked to install or download something from Github" part, this was from your own moderator, in this very thread:

Reinstall Stable version from website or manually get the release from GitHub extract "system" folder and replace your System folder in "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\"

Start server

So there's no need to get grouchy at me for following simple instructions.  If this method is not recommended, you need to train your moderators better, rather than yell at me for doing it.  The custom updater is being used because my server environment requires I use Emby as a service rather than with a task bar icon.  Because of that, I can't use the plugin "Server Restart" to install any automatic updates.  As for "all kinds of problems with Emby", I'm merely pointing out that I've been a member of this site and a donating contributor for years.  Through out that time, I've had "all kinds of problems" and they are typically resolved with kindness and etiquette.  I'm not doing lots of customized things.  I'm keeping it simple.  To the best of my knowledge, I've never installed a different "update channel" as you say, between dev/beta/stable.  The only things I've ever done to resolve an issue I've had has been done with explicit instructions from either yourself or one of you're other admins, or team members (moderators/etc).  From the very beginning of my issue with this, I've noted that my system is setup to use STABLE versions only.  This is what I said even in the other thread.  I've never changed that.  I just don't see why it wants to download a dev or beta version of Emby when clearly I'm not using that or have it set to do so.  This is where my frustration is.  I've figured out that the cause of the problem (as far as automatically updating to beta) was due to the Updater addon (which was written and supplied by somebody from this forum years ago) grabbing those dev/beta versions.  I've disable the updater scheduled task in Windows.  As a trial at least.  If the system works like it's supposed to, tomorrow I should still be on .8500 (unless a new version comes out).

I was simply pointing out that through my own trial and errors.. I've been able to keep the system on latest stable version provided I don't use the custom updater.  And once I launch the custom updater, it DOES update, but to the beta/dev version I mentioned before.  I was hoping somebody would know why it was doing that.  But clearly it's been decided that this is a strict 3rd party addon that is neither supported nor endorsed with the Emby authors.

Ok I understand, thanks for providing the information. I am sorry you are seeing that with the custom updater. I have never looked at it's source code so to be honest I really don't know what it's doing.