emby server running very slowly

tim eustace

tim eustace

I am running emby through WMC and since updating to the server based software it is almost impossible to watch a film as it runs so slowly the speech and vision are not synchronized.

Before the server version everything ran absolutely fine and the program was a favourite now I can't use.

I have attached the last log from an attempt last night.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or help

MBClassic-5112016f211cca33857498f94ccbae8160ff861.log

You have a couple of issues with your configuration.

1) You have EMC configured to connect to a server that doesn't exist.  This is why it probably takes several seconds for EMC to start up.  It is trying to contact that server and, when it finally fails, it searches for one it can find.  To fix this, change the setting under advanced to "Find automatically" and re-start EMC.  After that, you can set it back up to auto login if you wish.

2) You have setup your library using drive letters.  This is fine but, if your EMC machine is different from the server machine, then you will need to provide the network path value that is on the same screen where you defined the library folders.  This needs to be set to a UNC path that is accessible by the Windows user running EMC.

Please let us know how it goes after addressing those.  Thanks.

tim eustace

I changed the setting to find automatically and the speed certainly improved but its still not right. The second point isn't relevant because the server is the same PC.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help so far

Regards

Tim

• 2 weeks later...
tim eustace

sorry completely forgot to look at this - here is a log from last night - we gave up watching . Would the broadband speed have an effect? Because i just tried it again now and it worked OK. we have very slow broadband here.

Is it possible to go back to the earlier version that didn't involve the server software?

MBClassic-26112016bd9e20d0b51a4384b68ea8e445cb00c3.log

This is interesting:

2016-11-26 18:05:43.9186,Debug,,Error playing item: PlayMedia returned false,1,Application

What is the "E:" drive?  Is it an internal drive, external USB, mapped network, what?  Also how old and what type of disc technology?

I know that this isn't what you want to here but even though Media Browser was borne out of necessity to have a better local movie management system within WMC I find that loading it is painstakingly slow with the Server-Client Model it has become so I have stopped using it and just load Emby Theater now. It is much more fluid and it more closely resembles all the other apps with modern features just not available in EMC. I use WMC on a daily basis but load ET as a separate Activity on my Harmony remote. Just a suggestion worth trying. I like it and it works well, except for the loss of 3D iso playback, for which I'm working on another work around now, maybe using Kodi on an rPi just for 3D MVC MKV playback.

• 2 weeks later...

I know that this isn't what you want to here but even though Media Browser was borne out of necessity to have a better local movie management system within WMC I find that loading it is painstakingly slow with the Server-Client Model it has become so I have stopped using it and just load Emby Theater now. It is much more fluid and it more closely resembles all the other apps with modern features just not available in EMC. I use WMC on a daily basis but load ET as a separate Activity on my Harmony remote. Just a suggestion worth trying. I like it and it works well, except for the loss of 3D iso playback, for which I'm working on another work around now, maybe using Kodi on an rPi just for 3D MVC MKV playback.

@@Sammy

Raspberry Pi fans might enjoy trying Emby Theater:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/42760-emby-theater-on-raspberry-pi/

Enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...
nairnmonster

Just checking, but if Emby server is installed on a slow or failing OS HDD, would this cause all Emby WMC's to have issues? I have noticed that all MCE's with Emby are very slow to populate images, folders and data after any period of power off, sleep or extended period of un-use

My Emby WMC on all three I have are all running extremely slowly with all themes, when I first start one of these machines. I cannot access Emby straight away, I have to start the app which can take the best part of 4-5 minutes to fully load, then I have to close the app and start again before I can actually start a video