Live TV not working on Roku

AmericanMike
Go to solution Solved by ray2357,

I guess my Roku 3 updated last night too because I just got some newfangled default screen saver on it...

Do you mean the night city-scape one? Thats what I get on my roku3 on default and its still the same. On my roku ultra though, it does this aquarium thing and I found dory the blue tang there.. haw

Yeah, I meant the night city scape.  Previously, I just had a "Roku" logo bouncing around the screen (a la 1995).

Any tips for getting a smoother stream - my TV is one flight up from my wifi router and I get an intermittent drop from TV and "loading" then back to TV. I have a strong WiFi signal there and I've tried 2.4 and 5GHZ. I just upgraded my HTPC where the Emby server is running to 16GB RAM but it didn't seem to make a difference. Are there some settings in Emby server I can adjust, perhaps?

• Like 1

Vitale4

Assuming you are using ROKU, have you tried limiting the bandwidth via the EMBY Streaming Channel under preferences?  On some devices, I have set the streaming down to 1.5 MB from the default of 3.+.

Just a thought.

farside847

The roku update fixed it, I am still on 2.24 of the app and live TV now works

But, the quality is bad at times. Is there a way to increase? I have the app set to 30mbit and using ethernet. The thanksgiving parade is kinda painful to watch with bad pixelation. Commercials look great. :(

Edited by farside847

Assuming you are using ROKU, have you tried limiting the bandwidth via the EMBY Streaming Channel under preferences?  On some devices, I have set the streaming down to 1.5 MB from the default of 3.+.

Just a thought.

It took me awhile to figure this out, but I'll put this here in case some one else could use this info

- On your Roku device (I have a TCL Roku TV), open the Emby app

- Scroll down until you see Options, then select Preferences

- Choose Video Quality and select a lower setting (mine defaulted to 3.5MB) and test until you find a suitable balance between picture quality and performance.

Using this method, I have solved my problem. I have Emby and Kodi running on the same machine (Emby for serving TV to my Roku TV upstairs, connected via 5g) and dialing down to 2MB seems to be my sweet spot, Both my downstairs TV (Kodi) and upstairs TV (Emby) play Live TV at the same time with no stuttering or drops.

Perfect.

Happy2Play

Hmm, @@Luke  @@speechles  - that sounds like there needs to be a separate setting for Live TV.  You don't want all your media transcode that low.

• Like 1

Hmm, @@Luke @@speechles - that sounds like there needs to be a separate setting for Live TV. You don't want all your media transcode that low.

Hmm..

What if in the blue neon app there were separate max-video-bitrate settings for Local, Remote, and LiveTV? This is how Ive handled it and its already in the app ready to go in next update. I have one more feature to add (sign out remembers server) and will push the update to roku and update the sideloadable zips.

• 4 weeks later...
socalredneck

Ignore this post!  I'm an idiot, for some reason my Live TV is working on both, ugh!

I have two Roku's, one that is an older Roku 2 XD which is on version 7.5.0 - build 4099-02.  The other is a Roku 2 (4210), which is on version 7.5.0 - build 4099-04. The older XD still does not play Live TV, but the newer 4210 plays Live TV.  Is it a firmware build difference issue or is an older XD issue???

If it's a firmware build issue, how can I force an update, other than the normal Roku update?  I've never done the side loading that I read in this thread.

Edited by socalredneck

Hmm, @@Luke  @@speechles  - that sounds like there needs to be a separate setting for Live TV.  You don't want all your media transcode that low.

Sorry, I missed this. What setting did you mean?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
AmericanMike

I'm watching live tv right now on my roku v7.7.0 with no issues.

One thing I will add to this is that one of my Roku's use an Ethernet cable to connect.  Each time I use the Roku after an extended rest there is an error when choosing an application.  It says there is no network connection but if I choose "Continue Anyway" all is fine.  I tested this with multiple apps and found this error is for hardwired boxes only and is a Roku firmware issue.

Flamebird

One thing I will add to this is that one of my Roku's use an Ethernet cable to connect.  Each time I use the Roku after an extended rest there is an error when choosing an application.  It says there is no network connection but if I choose "Continue Anyway" all is fine.  I tested this with multiple apps and found this error is for hardwired boxes only and is a Roku firmware issue.

That's what I thought, but someone on the Roku forum said they were getting the same errors using wi-fi.  This last round of updates seems to have fixed the "network connection" problem. . . at least, so far.