CoverArt - aspect ratio, how to fill full treatment?

skuuup

I have the CoverArt plugin installed and I have the "Use original art aspect ratio" option disabled, so I was expecting to see any non-box art to be cropped to the treatment that I was using, but this does not seem to be happening.

Website/Emby Desktop

Emby Theater

In the examples above, the first offense that you can see is the movie "All Is Bright", and second offense is the movie "Bad Moms." This is happening on many others, TV included.

..Which also raises the question--why doesn't Emby automatically download the box art for these movies? Both are available on IMDB...

..When I perform a "Refresh > Replace all Metadata > Replace existing images" this doesn't appear to change anything.

I'd appreciate any tips/help--thank you!

Edited by skuuup

The issue is you don't have a poster image for either of those titles. try refreshing them or using the image editor.

It doesn't matter whether it's on IMDB or not. IMDB is not an open data service. What matters is whether or not it's on the Open Movie Database or MovieDb.org, because that's what we use.

The issue is you don't have a poster image for either of those titles. try refreshing them or using the image editor.

It doesn't matter whether it's on IMDB or not. IMDB is not an open data service. What matters is whether or not it's on the Open Movie Database or MovieDb.org, because that's what we use.

Well, here they both are on themoviedb.org:

https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/174311-all-is-bright

https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/376659-bad-moms

Yet, a refresh of Bad Moms + waiting 15 minutes still yields this for the Primary image.

Here's my image fetcher settings.

When you refresh you have to check a checkbox to replace existing images. Alternatively you can also just use the image editor to select the image that you want.

When you refresh you have to check a checkbox to replace existing images. Alternatively you can also just use the image editor to select the image that you want.

Yes I've done this exact procedure with "Replace existing images" selected many times. No change. And I've had these movies in my library for a few weeks now. I don't get why I should need to add the correct Primary image manually if its already available..

Perhaps you have the movie but we just haven't been able to identify it with the internet providers. so check that it has a Moviedb Id and if not, you could try using the Identify feature to correct that.

If the issue persists, please provide the information requested in how to report a problem. Thanks.

Hmm--looks like switching the Image Fetcher settings to prefer "TheMovieDb" over "The Open Movie Database" has helped with a number of these cases.

In any case, the behavior that I would have expected is that whatever image that is downloaded/chosen to be Primary would have cropped to fit the entire Treatment frame size, as per my CoverArt plugin settings.

In any case, the behavior that I would have expected is that whatever image that is downloaded/chosen to be Primary would have cropped to fit the entire Treatment frame size, as per my CoverArt plugin settings.

Unfortunately you'll have to blame your fellow community members in this case. Once upon a time that may have happened but taking a 16*9 source image and cropping it into a 2:3 container results in something very different from what you started with, and users complained about it. To be honest, I actually agree with it anyway, and I disagree with your statement. We DO allow the images to crop or distort by a small amount in order to have them look uniform with the rest of the content on screen. But that is only up to a certain threshold, once that threshold is reached, at that point we'll stick to the original A/R because it's just too much of a distortion if we try to do anything.

Understood. I see how some would like it this way. I just don't like to see wasted space :)

Separate question--Is there any way to add an overlay over the treatment with the movie/tv series title? I don't think there is any option for this available in the CoverArt plugin. When anything other than Box Art is used for the primary image it can be hard to know what the title of the media is without hovering over it.

For further clarification - you are misunderstanding the behavior of the option in the plug-in.

If you do not have that option selected, then CoverArt will force your image into the exact shape of the treatment style you have chosen.  This is to combat the issue I mention below by ensuring that your images all have a consistent shape.

If you do have that option selected, then CoverArt will morph the treatment style into the shape of the image.

However, on top of that, the individual apps have to decide how to display those images in their interface and that can be slightly different depending on the platform and its capabilities.  So, they may get re-shaped on display as well.