Show Off Your "Home Theater"

pir8radio

JeremyFr79

Lol... There is some truth to that. But I'll tell you, once you experience it in your own home, there's no going back...even your wife will approve lol

Yeah I'm lucky enough to live in the Seattle area, we have a theater here Cinerama that's owned by Paul Allen, they just did another upgrade recently and upgraded to dual 4k Christie Laser Projectors and a 110 speaker Dolby Atmos sound system.  It's life changing, yet ruins all other theaters at the same time lol.

Guest asrequested

Yeah I'm lucky enough to live in the Seattle area, we have a theater here Cinerama that's owned by Paul Allen, they just did another upgrade recently and upgraded to dual 4k Christie Laser Projectors and a 110 speaker Dolby Atmos sound system. It's life changing, yet ruins all other theaters at the same time lol.

Damn! That sounds ridonkulous! But I still prefer watching at home. More personal and no kids kicking my chair or rustling bags. Did I just turn into a curmudgeon? Lol

mediacowboy

Damn! That sounds ridonkulous! But I still prefer watching at home. More personal and no kids kicking my chair or rustling bags. Did I just turn into a curmudgeon? Lol

I have kids and still prefer to be at home to watch my media. No can I have this or that and keeper on the pocket buck. Edited by mediacowboy

Koleckai Silvestri

Jealous of some of these setups. I just have a 60-inch 4K television mounted on the wall over the fireplace. Nothing fancy. My wife and I still go to the cinema every week as well. I don't think anything beats the 40-foot (or larger) big screen. Luckily, we have 36 screens to choose from within walking distance of the house.

Guest asrequested

I have kids and still prefer to be at home to watch my media. No can I have this or that and keeper on the pocket buck.

I can imagine it being a bit frustrating taking kids to the movies. I used to have step-children, and when they were young, it could be frustrating, sometimes

Jealous of some of these setups. I just have a 60-inch 4K television mounted on the wall over the fireplace. Nothing fancy. My wife and I still go to the cinema every week as well. I don't think anything beats the 40-foot (or larger) big screen. Luckily, we have 36 screens to choose from within walking distance of the house.

Mine isn't what I want it to be. But hopefully, in the new year I can make more of the changes that I want. Bigger screen etc. I'm about to build a rack and change my configuration. The first of the changes I plan on. 

JeremyFr79

I'm with you, my wife and I don't have kids, and I prefer watching at home.  Besides there's not too many theaters that can touch the sound quality of my Energy/Yamaha combo, and don't get me started on picture quality.  When I was a teenager I worked as a projectionist at a theater (the first THX theater in Washington to boot) and I end up spending most of my viewing time picking apart the projection issues and sound issues in the theater lol, though it's not as bad with digital projection but it has it's own issues that I can pick out depending on the projector used.

JeremyFr79

No, but it's planned. Some time next year, I think

That's what I thought and why I've been holding off.

Guest asrequested

Actually, there is way to cheat it. It really only needs an input, so if you split the HDMI before the dreamscreen and have one go directly to the TV, you could have both (in theory)

Or, if your receiver has more than one HDMI out, you could use one of those

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Spyderturbo007

My Theater is still a work in progress, but it's getting close.  I'm finishing my entire basement so it's a dedicated room. Full soundproofing and acoustically treated.  Double layer of drywall with GG, all decoupled from the framing.   Linacoustic and poly batting for both absorption and diffusion all covered with either DMD fabric or Velvet.  I used the velvet near the screen on the walls and ceiling to grab any reflection from the screen. 

It's a 125" 2.35:1 AT screen and the room is wired for 7.2.4. 

The panoramic pictures from my iPhone pretty much suck and don't do the room justice though.

post-176454-0-12044200-1482866707_thumb.jpeg

post-176454-0-87082600-1482866717_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

JeremyFr79

My Theater is still a work in progress, but it's getting close.  I'm finishing my entire basement so it's a dedicated room. Full soundproofing and acoustically treated.  Double layer of drywall with GG, all decoupled from the framing.   Linacoustic and poly batting for both absorption and diffusion all covered with either DMD fabric or Velvet.  I used the velvet near the screen on the walls and ceiling to grab any reflection from the screen. 

The panoramic pictures from my iPhone pretty much suck and don't do the room justice though.

attachicon.gifIMG122516123018.jpeg

attachicon.gifIMG122516123358.jpeg

I was going to do the same at our old house that had a basement.  Unfortunately the rest of the house didn't work well for us and we bought our new house in August which while awesome didn't lend to the same capability to have a full on theater.  There are day's I miss my old projector and stuff, but at the same time I'm far more happy with the setup now.  That room sounds like it'll be amazing when it's done!

pir8radio

attachicon.gifIMG122516123018.jpeg

attachicon.gifIMG122516123358.jpeg

what are the cutouts in the columns for side speakers?

Spyderturbo007

I was going to do the same at our old house that had a basement.  Unfortunately the rest of the house didn't work well for us and we bought our new house in August which while awesome didn't lend to the same capability to have a full on theater.  There are day's I miss my old projector and stuff, but at the same time I'm far more happy with the setup now.  That room sounds like it'll be amazing when it's done!

Thanks!  I played around with it a little using some old Klipsch speakers I had laying around and I'm really impressed with the sound.  The acoustical treatments have really done their job.

what are the cutouts in the columns for side speakers?

Correct.  The surround and surround back speakers will be Goldenear Invisa MPX speakers. 

That's going to be amazing! My setup is so piddly by comparison lol

Thank you.  I can't wait for it to be done.  I'm actually doing the entire basement and down to the really expensive stuff now, granite for the bar, theater seats, flooring, etc.  My wallet is on strike. :P

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
mastrmind11

New Marantz SR7012 receiver on the way. Last year's model. Got it for less than half price.

nice.  I have a marantz pre-amp.  beautiful equipment.

Guest asrequested

This year's model is out, so the price dropped $1000, and I'm getting an 'open box' from a dealer. So I got a great deal. I can't wait to get this thing. My Pioneer is a little outdated, so this is a significant upgrade.

Edited by Doofus

PrincessClevage

This year's model is out, so the price dropped $1000, and I'm getting an 'open box' from a dealer. So I got a great deal. I can't wait to get this thing. My Pioneer is a little outdated, so this is a significant upgrade.

old news but interesting

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/marksparrow/2017/03/01/sound-united-snaps-up-dm-group-owner-of-denon-marantz-and-boston-acoustics-audio-brands/amp/