remote streaming from nas to windows laptop is slower than android tablet

braddles69
Go to solution Solved by braddles69,

braddles69

Hi guys, I have come across an anomaly where remote streaming from my nas to a windows 10 laptop is way slower than to my android tablet.

Using server 8400.1 on my synology nas (intel pentium g3258, 8 gb ram, 16 tb), the same mkv is direct playing to both, but the upload speeds for the android tablet (TF700T with Emby vers. 2.8.15) are up to 1.1 Mbps, whilst the windows 10 laptop (i5, 8 gb ram) seems to max out at 300 Kbps.

I tried with both the web client and Emby theater and same speed limit seems to be in play.

This is weird for me as I have just connected to the nbn and was thinking about ditching the laptop for the tablet whilst away on work and remote streaming everything from my nas.

But the laptop has intel 7260 adapter (wifi ac) whislt the TF700T has only wifi n at 65 Mbps.

The synology nas resource monitor clearly shos the speed for the android direct play faster than the same file direct streamed to the laptop (image attached).

https://1drv.ms/t/s!Ao9CbvPZr1y1lkiZZT6dRZUlSWuX android direct playing mkv log

https://1drv.ms/t/s!Ao9CbvPZr1y1lkuy6lb2uBJtML-X    windows direct streaming log

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ao9CbvPZr1y1lkqg2QhjtdmlgcoJ synology resource monitor screenshot

Thanks any ideas?

Cheers

Brad

I'm not really sure. This is all direct streaming, no transcoding, so there aren't really any bottlenecks in emby server we can look for. It doesn't appear to be a situation that Emby Server has any control over in other words.

braddles69

Thanks Luke, yeah kind of weird, at least its the tablet getting the good upload as I will be trying to remote stream from now on and the tablet is easier to carry o/s rather than the jam packed laptop;)

Cheers

Edit. I just noticed that even though emby is stating direct streaming while playing the same mkv, cpu is going from 1% with android playback up to 48-50% when streaming to the windows laptop (process ffmpeg is using this 48-50%, whilst it isn't running when playing to the tablet).

Edited by braddles69

Ok in the case of windows there is some conversion going on, but it is without video transcoding, so it's generally pretty fast. Android supports more formats thus requires less transcoding effort from the server.

• Solution
braddles69

Figured it out, just had to check off Adaptive QoS in my router and then select Media Streaming as my mode of choice, this gave bandwidth priority to all streaming apps and the laptop now achieves 1.1-1.2 Mbps remote streaming.

Thanks Luke, nothing to do with Emby side but nice to keep getting closer to the dream...(just need a little bit more speed from my crappy nbn upload side!)

Cheers Brad