Plex Movie folders to Emby

Anthony24

Anthony24

Have a friend that uses plex which likes to try to switch to Emby for a while, is there anyway to put something like folder names into emby?

Like for Emby, there's "Specials" "Extras" Folder to count as Special Features. Is there a way for him not to do rename every folder in his library from his movies over to see them in emby? Can't he just leave his folders names as "Scenes" and see them as normal as "Specials and Extras?

Well we already do support specials and extras. If there's an issue the best thing to do is discuss a detailed and specific example. Thanks !

Anthony24

What i mean is, is there something like that, that can be easily imported by using plex's setup? my friend has a lot of them either "scenes" or other file structure names. that doesn't come up as like specials and extras. when he tested a movie for an example

Movie>Ice Age

Movie>Ice Age>Scenes>Scrats Adventures

Comes up an extra Movie instead of a special feature inside Ice Age.

Edited by Anthony24

Anthony24

So Plex calls special features "Scenes"?  That seems terribly misleading...

Unless he and my self misunderstood. Here's there guide. Even confuses me on how and which Folder will be read by Emby as Specials/Extras.

I've tested it out on my other MAC and tested it out from my media from that mac. I only have about 480Movies through Emby, with Plex, it comes up as about 520Movies. Explanation?

Would folders named "Featurettes" or "Behind the Scenes" be the same thing as the folder named "Specials"?

Read the same without any confusion and stays in one place instead of separate from the movie(s)?

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200220677

Organized in Subdirectories

You can organize your local extras into specific subdirectories inside the main directory named for the movie. Extras will be detected and used if named and stored as follows:

• Movie/MovieName (Release Date)/Extra_Directory_Type/Descriptive_name.ext

Where Extra_Directory_Type is one of:

• Behind The Scenes
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Interviews
  • Scenes
  • Shorts
  • Trailers

It is recommended that you provide some sort of descriptive name for the extras filenames.

/Movies

/Avatar (2009)

/Behind The Scenes

Performance Capture.mkv

/Deleted Scenes

Bar Fight.mp4

Lost Sister.mkv

/Interviews

Sigourney Weaver.mp4

Stephen Lang.mp4

/Scenes

Arrival.mp4

/Trailers

Teaser Trailer.mp4

Theatrical Trailer #1.mp4

Theatrical Trailer #2.mp4

Edited by Anthony24

We also accept the "Trailers" sub-folder. We could definitely add support for some of these other ones, it just hasn't really come up before.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
turnkit

Please, please, add support for all the Plex subfolders -- even if they are all just aliased to a generic "specials" or "scenes" use in Emby.

The reason is that it would encourage people who have already organized for using Plex to switch over.

Right now I really want to switch to Emby because I need the ability for users on the network to just use the Emby app on their devices and not create a dumb Plex account just to log in.

I want to send media library to places without internet.  Only Emby can do this as far as I can tell.

Here are the folders again... even an alias to one type that Emby already uses would allow those folders and files with suffixes to work, easily using the same folder structure Plex uses.  It would be fantastic.

• Behind The Scenes
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Interviews
  • Scenes
  • Shorts
  • Trailers

ref: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200220677-Local-Media-Assets-Movies

Hi @@turnkit, I looked into this, and we already support all of those except for Interviews, and I will add that for the next release of Emby Server. Thanks for the feedback !

• Like 1

hstamas

Hi @@turnkit, I looked into this, and we already support all of those except for Interviews, and I will add that for the next release of Emby Server. Thanks for the feedback !

I thought Emby didnt support nested folders for extras? I have a folder for my ripped Star Wars Force Awakens disc with the following structure setup for Plex. Emby doesn't recognize it:

Star Wars The Force Awakens/

Extras/

Behind the Scenes  (with the video inside this folder)

Deleted Scenes  (with the video inside this folder)

Featurettes  (with the video inside this folder)

• 2 weeks later...

The latest version of Emby Server for Mac has been posted. Apologies for the delay.

• 4 months later...
afullmark

Could the wiki be update to reflect all the 'extra' folder names supported (Interviews etc); the current info in the wiki on extras only mentions one folder that emby accepts: 'Extras'

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie%20naming

afullmark

@@afullmark, done. thanks !

Did you miss 'Trailers'

Also does 'Specials' & 'Season 00' work for TV Shows as like plex : https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200220707-Naming-TV-Show-Specials-?mobile_site=true

Or does only 'Season 0' work as indicated in your wiki: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/TV%20naming

Edited by afullmark

• 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
turnkit

The "Season 0" for TV specials seems like a kludge that fails pretty hard when looking at modern television sets.  These days each episode might have a BTS.  So forcing all three seasons of episode's specials in a Season 0 seems wonky, no?

thanks i read that bt didnt know if there was support for these other options for tv shows.

Well it gets renamed to Specials so you don't actually have to see Season 0. What is a BTS?

turnkit

Well it gets renamed to Specials so you don't actually have to see Season 0. What is a BTS?

But how would specials for each episode stay associated with that episode.  For example, currently I'm watching a show that has two short videos for each episode: 1) a Re-cap of the last episode and up to that point, and, 2) a sneak preview of the next episode.  Ideally there ought to be specials that can be tied to, or associated with, each episode.

BTS is a Korean boy band, a somehow acronym for Bangtan Boys. But not in this context. Seriously though, it's just short for "Behind-the-Scenes."  Meaning each episode could have their own unique extras, or behind-the-scenes clips or mini documentaries.

Edited by turnkit