Trouble connecting within home network

leebo

I have three Fire TV's, and they all have trouble connecting via the Emby app. This just started about two months ago. Prior to that they connected without issue.

I click on the app, I get the generic grey background and a spinning circle, which continues until I exit the app. I have to keep trying and eventually it will connect. Sometimes I get the "Connect manually" screen as but not always. This happens on all three FireTV's. If I connect using my Android tablet it connects immediately. All within my home network. Typically, after I connect and then disconnect, I can reconnect easily, until I stay disconnected for a while.

The FireTV's are on app version 1.2.69a. My server is running Windows Home 2011. Emby server is set to auto update.

kbrutlag

At times mine has done the same thing. It now skips and hangs when playing Blu-ray's in raw format.  A reboot of the FireTV brings Emby back, but it is getting annoying not being able to watch Blu-rays.  Oh, almost forgot to mention that my FireTV is wired on a gig network.  

The grey screen is not a connection problem - it is an indication that the app has crashed.  Probably after you shut down the Fire the last time you used it.  If that happens, the only thing that will get you back into the app is force-closing it.

Now, why it crashed is an interesting question and we are looking into that.

As for playback issues with "raw" BDs (what are raw Blu-rays), please open a new thread with specific info (How to Report a Problem) for that but I suspect those are transcoding issues at the server.  Thanks.

Um, ebr, this happens every time, with ALL THREE Fire TV's. Are you saying that they all crash, every time I close them?

That doesn't seem logical, especially considering that if I exit, then relaunch within a short time, I get back in. How is it that they crash only if a good amount of time has passed since I exited? And no, force closing does not help me reconnect (access my media). The only thing that works is to keep trying over and over.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

If you are seeing a grey screen, that is a crash.  It may be related to this or it could be something else in your case.

Can you try increasing the auto logout timeout?

Hi Luke.

I'm not sure if you've read this entire thread, or if maybe I have not been as clear as I should.

Re connection troubleshooting: everything I'm talking about pertains to the Fire TV. I can't try the first suggestion because I rarely get to the screen where you input the address. Re opening the port, the app on my android tablet connected almost immediately. The Fire TV also connects, albeit it can take a full minute or two. And it does not always connect. Besides, it both apps connect doesn't that rule out the firewall?

That leaves checking for viruses, which I'll plan to do today.

It sometimes mentions something about an Android volley error (but not always), fwiw.

Two are Ethernet, one wireless. All started having this same issue at the same time, which is why I'm thinking either my server (I tried rebooting), or the Emby server. No virus nor malware detected.

Hey ebr, Luke, as I thought about my problem, I recalled a similar issue I had at the beginning of this year that was never figured out, but it eventually resolved itself. It had to do with the VPN client I use (Cyberghost). That thread has almost the same title this one. I will post a link to that thread at the bottom of this post.

Anyway, I disconnected from my VPN, and look and behold, the Emby app for Fire TV connected right away! During my previous issue, Cyberghost was no help. They tried to troubleshoot, but eventually decided their client only affects EXTERNAL connections, regardless of the facts. I assume I'm going to have to continue suffering until an update from either you guys or Cyberghost fixes it.

However, the Emby server issue of Not reporting it's local IP address also continues. This has been going on all year. It shows its internal IP as 10.129.2 8.134:8096. Rebooting the computer or Emby does not fix it. It has persisted with every update.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/30736-Unable-to-connect-from-within-home-network

Even still that should not prevent internal connections, it only means that it might throw off automatic server discovery. but that is easily remedied by connecting manually from Emby apps and entering the correct address.

Even still that should not prevent internal connections, it only means that it might throw off automatic server discovery. but that is easily remedied by connecting manually from Emby apps and entering the correct address.

Most of the time it's just taking a really long time to connect, when the VPN is active. And Emby server never shows the correct IP.

Not showing the right IP can be normal with a VPN because that can easily fool it. Should we just not show the IP? then there's no issue, right? Remember you can always enter the ip address you want to connect to from Emby apps.

Not showing the right IP can be normal with a VPN because that can easily fool it. Should we just not show the IP? then there's no issue, right? Remember you can always enter the ip address you want to connect to from Emby apps.

Two things I don't get:

How does a VPN software prevent a local network app from getting the internal IP? Besides, when I close the VPN Emby still does not display the correct IP.

How do I manually enter the IP when Emby does not display the manual connect screen?

Perhaps it's not the vpn software. You can run ipconfig from a windows command prompt and that will list all the network adapters on your system along with their ip addresses.

Every app has an Add server button that is displayed throughout the connection process

582385e64b0c3_Untitled.png

On the Android/Fire TV app it is "Enter Manually":

5823c7e0b66f3_serveroptions.png

(Oops, that's the user screen, but the same button is on the server selection screen too)

Things like a Bluetooth adapter or virtual machine can create other network interfaces you may not be aware of.

No Bluetooth nor virtual machines. As for the manual connect, I usually get a screen with a spinning circle thingy and a black and grey background (like a photographer uses), Emby logo in the top left corner. It either takes forever to change to the manual log in screen, or else never even makes it there.

Always seems to connect right away if i disconnect the VPN.

I will check out the ipconfig suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...