Photo

FireTV won't connect to server

FireTV server connect

Best Answer arrbee99 , 20 November 2016 - 06:55 PM

Hopefully I've fixed it. Not being very bright, didn't notice that upstairs FTV and downstairs FTV both had the same IP address, so just reassigned one of them in the router (and the FTV itself) to a different one, and it all looks good now (well with very limited testing anyway).

Think this is worth mentioning in this https://emby.media/c...-home-network/ thread ? maybe not, Luke did suggest running ipconfig.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 arrbee99 OFFLINE  

arrbee99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2957 posts
  • Local time: 01:17 AM
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 31 October 2016 - 06:11 PM

Having a lot of trouble connecting the FireTV to the server recently. It won't find it automatically and won't usually connect after I type in the IP address. Kodi on the same FireTV is also having trouble. This is using all wired gigabit Ethernet. Wondering if you would have any ideas ? Am thinking even though FTV and server are in same house, they're on different time zones. Would anyone know if this is definitely the cause or if its likely to be irrelevant. I presume its (hopefully) easy enough to change but it would be useful to know if its a likely cause and recording it here may help too.

#2 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 138124 posts
  • Local time: 08:17 AM

Posted 31 October 2016 - 09:55 PM

Hi there, I would suggest checking out our Connection Troubleshooter. Please try the steps listed there and let us know which ones succeed and which ones fail. Thanks !

#3 arrbee99 OFFLINE  

arrbee99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2957 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 31 October 2016 - 11:47 PM

Just tried starting the 2nd gen FTV and this time it got as far as choosing a user, which I did, then it says cannot verify password or ID (or something like that. If I try again it does the same thing. Don't know why it got that far this time as usually it won't get that far.

Have a 1st gen FTV downstairs and that connects fine and plays stuff. its on the same version, 1.2.70a I think it is.

Have a laptop with ET on and that also connects and plays stuff fine. Also if I type in http://192.168.1.240:8096 into Chrome on the laptop it comes up with choosing a user and then goes to the Emby server home page.

Also have a Wetek Play 2 with Emby on it, 1.2.69 or 1.2.70 not sure which, also connects and plays stuff fine (mostly).

Am assuming this means there isn't a problem with connecting and firewalls and stuff like that. Maybe there's something wrong with this particular FTV - it seems to loose connection to the internet and says there's a problem but I think this is only after using sideloaded Kodi, with the Emby Kodi app. Also, it plays Amazon Prime videos fine.

#4 arrbee99 OFFLINE  

arrbee99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2957 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 09 November 2016 - 08:18 PM

Anyone ? Still the same, any suggestions, no matter how obvious.

On latest FireTV Emby beta, won't connect, typing in http://192.168.1.240:8096 doesn't connect. Kodi on same FTV won't connect. Wetek with Emby works fine. Laptop with ET works fine. Laptop connects to server using http://192.168.1.240:8096. FTV with problem plays Netflix, iPlayer, Amazon Prime fine. Everything connected via Asus router and switches / gigabit Ethernet.

Would changing DNS servers on FTV affect a connection to a PC in a room 5 metres away, I presume not. They've been changed on FTV, but have also been changed on laptop, which works fine.

#5 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Members
  • 46993 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 09:02 PM

You have any kind of VPN setup?

#6 arrbee99 OFFLINE  

arrbee99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2957 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 09 November 2016 - 09:21 PM

Nope. Or if I do it's news to me.. Like I say, have manually set DNS1 and DNS2 in FTV, but have also done that in other devices that do work (though maybe not the same DNSes). No idea if that's relevant. Also have some static routes in router. Still don't see why its just one device though.

#7 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 138124 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 04:41 PM

Have you gone through the process to submit app logs for us to review? Thanks.

#8 arrbee99 OFFLINE  

arrbee99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2957 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 20 November 2016 - 05:44 PM

Should I send server logs or FireTV logs or both ?

#9 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Members
  • 46993 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 05:49 PM

He meant the app log but, if Kodi also cannot connect then the problem must be something outside of the app.  However, maybe we can spot something that will be helpful.

#10 arrbee99 OFFLINE  

arrbee99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2957 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 20 November 2016 - 06:55 PM   Best Answer

Hopefully I've fixed it. Not being very bright, didn't notice that upstairs FTV and downstairs FTV both had the same IP address, so just reassigned one of them in the router (and the FTV itself) to a different one, and it all looks good now (well with very limited testing anyway).

Think this is worth mentioning in this https://emby.media/c...-home-network/ thread ? maybe not, Luke did suggest running ipconfig.

• ebr likes this

#11 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 138124 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 06:58 PM

How did they both get the same ip address?

#12 arrbee99 OFFLINE  

arrbee99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2957 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 20 November 2016 - 07:10 PM

The short answer is no idea. Got the first gen FTV which was used upstairs. Then the second gen replaced it in the same location, connected to the same switch. Then started using the first gen FTV after a few months on TV downstairs (which I guess is when the second gen FTV upstairs started playing up).

The (Asus) router assigns the address, and they were both called 'Fire TV', with same IP but different MAC address. Now that I've changed the IP on the second gen FTV, its being identified as a Kindle for some reason.

I might at some point have renamed the first gen FTV from some assigned name to 'Fire TV' in the router, but doubt if that matters (though again, don't really know what I'm talking about)

#13 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Members
  • 46993 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 07:12 PM

Glad you found it.  Thanks for reporting back.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FireTV, server, connect

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users