Moving libraries

LurchZA

I have an existing Emby instance running on Windows 10 Professional.

The machine has multiple hard drives with a basic structure replicated across them. For example:

C:\ - OS

D:\Movies

D:\TV

E:\Movies

E:\TV

I've now added an additional drive. Created the same folder structure and obviously added it to the Emby

I would like to move some of the content from the other drives to the new one because they're filling up.

I moved one TV show to test. When I moved it, it no longer showed that I had watched any of the episodes.

The question is, is it possible to move content to a new drive with a different drive letter and have the server remember what has been watched?

If not, it's not the end of the world, I'll only add new content to the new drive.

AdrianW

Have you run a scan since moving the content? Emby should keep watched status - as it's based on ID not location.

Have you run a scan since moving the content? Emby should keep watched status - as it's based on ID not location.

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have already run a library scan. I also assumed it would retain the watched status, but at least in my case it hasn't done so.

AdrianW

Perhaps something has changed. I often move content from one folder to another - e.g. I move movies from my "New Releases" collection to my "Movie Archive" collection and watched status is retained. 

• Like 1

Perhaps something has changed. I often move content from one folder to another - e.g. I move movies from my "New Releases" collection to my "Movie Archive" collection and watched status is retained. 

I'm currently running 3.1.196.0 beta, so will upgrade to 3.1.200.0 beta and try it again, might just be something in this version.

Another great reason to use a drive pooling solution and then you'll never have to worry about stuff like this again :).

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

Another great reason to use a drive pooling solution and then you'll never have to worry about stuff like this again :).

Yup! I just learned of Stablebit, and I have started using.

Yup! I just learned of Stablebit, and I have started using.

I'll definitely look into that now.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...
Trevor68

Having just lost ten years of watched status from moving libraries myself I'd be keen to learn what is wrong with emby rather than a future workaround. I am on stable release and this has never happened before when moving libraries, so I did not predict that I would now need pooled drives.

Edited by Trevor68

Having just lost ten years of watched status from moving libraries myself I'd be keen to learn what is wrong with emby rather than a future workaround. I am on stable release and this has never happened before when moving libraries, so I did not predict that I would now need pooled drives.

What kind of media? if it is for movies and tv series that have imdb or tvdb/tmdb id's, then you can move the files around as much as you like and we will preserve the user data based on those id's. So assuming it's the same Emby Server installation, the question is whether the metadata is the same as it was before the move.