Square Theme: General Help Thread

Soultaker

Soultaker

Current Version

v1.12.1.2 (RELEASE Version) is now available

• Requires: MBC version 3.0.224 or higher

• SQUARE IS NOW FREE! Thanks to everyone who supported me the past year.
  • Fixed a bug with users profile images sometimes going missing in user menu
  • Improved loading animations of backdrops, and some items in stack and list views
  • Changed layout of people panel in final media page
  • Added my personal skin
  • Changed coloring of the default menu panel in ehs bar view
  • Updated styles to version 4
  • Added fixes to final media page preview image to prevent scroller jumping around when images are delayed loading.
  • Added option to use new people panel (high performance requirement)
  • Increased size of quick menu

Previous Versions

v1.10.21.0 (RELEASE Version)

• Requires: MBC version 3.0.224 or higher

• Added new view: Stack view
  • Added premier date in list view
  • Some core changes

v1.9.24.0 (RELEASE Version) is now available

• Requires: MBC version 3.0.182 or higher

• Fixed performance on poster wall (horizontal) mode
  • Removed cover option when list view is selected because list view only supports posters
  • Added fix for when recent item options are set incompatibly with square from other themes (I am looking at you Xenon! :D )
  • Added series primary backdrop images and content as part of Bar EHS items
  • Fixed bug with subtitle option not being applied
  • Added fix for context menu when used on items in EHS views
  • Items in focus on EHS level now change backdrop to match rest of theme
  • Added enhancements to Bar EHS including more context aware shortcuts such as genres, studio, year, shuffle etc.

v1.9.14.0 (RELEASE Version)

• Added new ehs view (bar) available in Square options
  • Added several new views including curve, list, and posterwall
  • Minor speed improvements

v1.7.28.0 (RELEASE Version)

• Added support for Standalone person page to provide more details about actors / directors
  • Added support for "similar to" in details view
  • Added options to toggle various parts of the EHS on or off (allows to control performance)
  • One TV added option to use text instead of graphics for series name
  • Minor enhancements

v1.6.13.0

• Requires: MBC version 3.0.170 or higher

• Added support for JIL (jump in list)
  • Fixed broken Upcoming TV
  • Added specials support
  • Added display toggle for search button, and JIL button.
  • Small adjustments to folder menu give a highlight of what cover / view / index /etc.. you are using without having to navigate in.
  • Added config settings for displaying JIL menu button (JIL not present on EHS) and search menu button
  • Added more display toggles for some (NOT ALL) bottom of page selected media info
  • Bug fix only display play button when item is playable

v1.2.23.0 (RELEASE Version)

• Requires: MBC version 3.0.122 or higher

• Allow for vertical wrapping in poster view, fixed missing localization setting for ral
  • Added episode level support to overview panels
  • One TV - Added automatic focus on unwatched item.
  • One TV - Added display counters
  • Changed prevent back to use MCE dialog rather than MB dialog due to race conditions with MB dialog

v1.2.5.1 (RELEASE Version)

• Requires: MBC version 3.0.117 or higher

• Fixed localization loading
  • Fixed backdrop image stretching in media page

v1.2.5.0 (RELEASE Version)

• New: One TV layout
  • New: automatic extender layouts for all backdrops: Page, FMP, Upcoming, RSS, etc..
  • Update: Removed backdrops on ehs for spotlight, and RAL
  • New: Ask to exit option
  • New: Add ellipses for NextUp in EHS
  • New: Skinning engine to Square
    • Skins: Dark (default), Light, Clear
  • Update: Locked EHS collection alignment
  • Update: Tweaked focus glow on EHS
  • New: Zoom highlighting to poster & coverflow views to visually distinguish currently selected item
  • New: Added title to summary boxes
  • Update: Fixed height unwatched count
  • Update: Backdrop not working when parent folder backdrops are disabled
  • Update: in certain cases details view small poster image is display instead of full size
  • New: Vertical scrolling support in Poster view
  • Update: Added season/episode number to upcoming tv
  • Update: EHS now uses accent color for focus

v1.1.29.0 (RELEASE Version)

• New: First theme with "Next Up" support
  • New: Genres/Year tiles available for more media collections
  • Update: Attempted to center images in tiles
  • New: Show 1 more column on "Newest" panel in EHS
  • Update: Full Screen button re-located next to clock on Media Page
  • Update: Now playing video in the details panel on Media Page
  • Update: Sliding animation on Media Page panels
  • New: Add a delete button on Media Page

v1.1.23.0 (RELEASE Version)

• Requires: MBC version 3.0.110 or higher

• New: User profiles are now supported, PLEASE NOTE THIS UPDATE WILL RESET YOUR CONFIGURATION SETTINGS.
    • Allows for user preference for accent color, rss feed, apps selection, etc to be retained per user profile.
  • New: option to enable Media Center links (default off)
  • New: error handling around Media Center links
  • New: Details view support for cover selection
  • New: Thumb strip view has support for Show Labels (found in folder menu)
  • Update: Modified EHS selected collection glow as some accent colors may obscure collection name
  • Update: Smarter image selection for Last Played tile

v1.1.20.0 (RELEASE Version)

• Requires: MBC version 3.0.110 or higher (please note this is a dev build of MBC)
Edited by Soultaker
  • Like 5

yardameus

I take it this is the "updated" Neo?  Although it seems to be so much more than that.  Got me really excited.  I especially love the accent color options.

Hey ST,is there a way to hide the labels in TV using thumbstrip view,when using thumbs the labels are not needed and actually cover a portion of the thumb as below:

52ddf62a2fb7f_Capture.jpg

techywarrior

Hey Soul,

Just installed and played around a little with Square. Overall liking it but found some bugs and a few things I don't understand.

Bug #1 - changing the color seemed to change the color pretty immediately for the squares but the top menu highlight color doesn't change until you load a different page/screen.

Bug #2 - I'm not sure how reproducible this one is but I logged in as my GF to set her up with Square as well and she didn't have the EHS enabled (which wasn't an issue) except that clicking on the config wrench di nothing. It wasn't until I exited, reloaded MBC and tried again before the config wrench was able to be clicked and take me to the settings page.

Question - On the movie detail page below the play button is a trailer button (optional) and below that are a left and right arrow buttons. Clicking on them didn't seem to do anything. What are they supposed to be for?

Comment - The boxes (last played etc.) look much better as banners or backdrops instead of the poster since the poster doesn't fit correctly (not wide enough) and also are styled by coverart (if used).

I can't remember now because I am not at the media center but on the movie list view there are some options. View option (coverflow, poster, etc), The last one (I can't remember the name of it now) but none of the options seemed to do anything. I think the options were poster, banner, clearart, cleartype. The movie list refreshed but nothing changed on it.

Keep up the good work (purchased by the way)

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer

@@Soultaker - Can you tell me where the LiveTV options are getting their feed from? Is it the ServerWMC plugin or direct from WMC.

The only reason I ask is that because I don't have my TV Card hooked upto WMC and I don't have the ServerWMC plugin installed, when I click on any of the LiveTV options, such as LiveTV, TV Guide or Scheduled -  Square crashes. Where as the Recorded TV takes me to WMC recorded TV. Maybe you can put a check in.

Here is the log

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lelnkcdlkjmrrgz/MBClassic-Square%20Crash.log

Cheers bud, I'll be on skype later if you want me to do any recreating/testing for ya ;)

I like this look (looks almost like MBT).  And it's so friggin good to see ST is back and doing themes again. :)

Okay can't find it in MBC configurator.  Then realized it only works in dev build of MBC?  Is the dev build stable?

Edited by DigiTM

Cheesegeezer

I like this look (looks almost like MBT).  And it's so friggin good to see ST is back and doing themes again. :)

Okay can't find it in MBC configurator.  Then realized it only works in dev build of MBC?  Is the dev build stable?

I'm using latest Dev build and not seeing any issues. But I have to say..... try it at your own risk.

Soultaker

Hey ST,is there a way to hide the labels in TV using thumbstrip view,when using thumbs the labels are not needed and actually cover a portion of the thumb as below:

Good suggestion, I'll be looking to add that option soon.

Hey Soul,

Just installed and played around a little with Square. Overall liking it but found some bugs and a few things I don't understand.

Bug #1 - changing the color seemed to change the color pretty immediately for the squares but the top menu highlight color doesn't change until you load a different page/screen.

Bug #2 - I'm not sure how reproducible this one is but I logged in as my GF to set her up with Square as well and she didn't have the EHS enabled (which wasn't an issue) except that clicking on the config wrench di nothing. It wasn't until I exited, reloaded MBC and tried again before the config wrench was able to be clicked and take me to the settings page.

Question - On the movie detail page below the play button is a trailer button (optional) and below that are a left and right arrow buttons. Clicking on them didn't seem to do anything. What are they supposed to be for?

Comment - The boxes (last played etc.) look much better as banners or backdrops instead of the poster since the poster doesn't fit correctly (not wide enough) and also are styled by coverart (if used).

I can't remember now because I am not at the media center but on the movie list view there are some options. View option (coverflow, poster, etc), The last one (I can't remember the name of it now) but none of the options seemed to do anything. I think the options were poster, banner, clearart, cleartype. The movie list refreshed but nothing changed on it.

Keep up the good work (purchased by the way)

Bug 1 - Known issue when using the Quick Menu to change accent colors, when using the configuration page it works as expected.

Bug 2 - Cannot replicate, not sure how this is possible to be honest.

Question - left / right arrows are for Previous / Next functionality. I will need to investigate this one.

Comment - Yes and no, the solution I have in my mind is more complex than a strict tie to backdrop.

Comment 2 - The last option is Covers, I don't understand the comment. The only view that doesnt support this functionality is if you are in Details view.

@@Soultaker - Can you tell me where the LiveTV options are getting their feed from? Is it the ServerWMC plugin or direct from WMC.

The only reason I ask is that because I don't have my TV Card hooked upto WMC and I don't have the ServerWMC plugin installed, when I click on any of the LiveTV options, such as LiveTV, TV Guide or Scheduled -  Square crashes. Where as the Recorded TV takes me to WMC recorded TV. Maybe you can put a check in.

Here is the log

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lelnkcdlkjmrrgz/MBClassic-Square%20Crash.log

Cheers bud, I'll be on skype later if you want me to do any recreating/testing for ya ;)

It uses Media Center TV, so your lack of TV Card is exactly whats causing the crash. Prepare yourself for some late night testing/fixing dude :) .

@@Soultaker firstly.. Love it!

Secondly is there any chance of the view you get in neo where posters/folders scroll down the left hand side? I like to see as much of the backdrops as possible...

If not can we alter the position of coverflow up or down??

Cheers

Sent by my HTC8X using Tapatalk

techywarrior

Bug 2 - Cannot replicate, not sure how this is possible to be honest.

Yea, it didn't make a lot of sense to me either but I clicked on it multiple time, went to different views and back with it not doing anything. It wasn't until I exited MBC and logged back in as her that it worked. It may have been one of those things that happens one in a million so maybe just take note and see if anyone else ever reports it.

Question - left / right arrows are for Previous / Next functionality. I will need to investigate this one.

So should those arrows have gone to the next/previous movie? Because that was what I initially thought and nothing happened. Would the transition be quick or does it take time? Perhaps I didn't give it enough time to transition? But if that's the case then maybe there needs to be some indicator.

Also, is there any way to have a button title appear after a few seconds (not sure if it's possible in WMC/MBC) but since your theme is very graphic heavy it would be handy as an option (so people could turn it off after they are familiar with the theme) If not possible then it's not that big a deal. You just press all the buttons and see what they do... as long as they all work :)

Comment 2 - The last option is Covers, I don't understand the comment. The only view that doesnt support this functionality is if you are in Details view.

Ok,  I was in detail view. I find detail view to be the easiest to navigate with a large collection. Don't suppose the menu can hide the covers option when in detail view? Also, any chance that detail view can have the option for the location of the summary? Ideally I think I would prefer to have the summary on the right side and the list either in the middle or the left (I have a feeling I'd prefer the left with the poster in the middle and the summary on the right) It makes sense to me like that to read from left to right, so I scroll down the list a little, see a movie I feel like watching, the big poster is in the middle and then if I can't remember what it was about exactly I can read the summary to the right.

Soultaker

@@Soultaker firstly.. Love it! Secondly is there any chance of the view you get in neo where posters/folders scroll down the left hand side? I like to see as much of the backdrops as possible... If not can we alter the position of coverflow up or down?? Cheers Sent by my HTC8X using Tapatalk

Hey,

Glad you like it. More views aren't immediately a priority as I'm looking to fix any bugs first, minor tweaks, etc.

After that I'll be in a better place where perhaps we can talk about big changes and we may come up with a solution thats even better.

Nice one! Understand bug fixes come first. Can you add power settings WMC shortcut to the others? Don't think it was there.. My daughter is watching Pocahontas atm so i can't check!! Lol

Soultaker

Yea, it didn't make a lot of sense to me either but I clicked on it multiple time, went to different views and back with it not doing anything. It wasn't until I exited MBC and logged back in as her that it worked. It may have been one of those things that happens one in a million so maybe just take note and see if anyone else ever reports it.

So should those arrows have gone to the next/previous movie? Because that was what I initially thought and nothing happened. Would the transition be quick or does it take time? Perhaps I didn't give it enough time to transition? But if that's the case then maybe there needs to be some indicator.

Also, is there any way to have a button title appear after a few seconds (not sure if it's possible in WMC/MBC) but since your theme is very graphic heavy it would be handy as an option (so people could turn it off after they are familiar with the theme) If not possible then it's not that big a deal. You just press all the buttons and see what they do... as long as they all work :)

Ok,  I was in detail view. I find detail view to be the easiest to navigate with a large collection. Don't suppose the menu can hide the covers option when in detail view? Also, any chance that detail view can have the option for the location of the summary? Ideally I think I would prefer to have the summary on the right side and the list either in the middle or the left (I have a feeling I'd prefer the left with the poster in the middle and the summary on the right) It makes sense to me like that to read from left to right, so I scroll down the list a little, see a movie I feel like watching, the big poster is in the middle and then if I can't remember what it was about exactly I can read the summary to the right.

Next / Previous are working for me, so I suppose I need to know how you got into the media detail page.

e.g. Clicked on a spotlight item --> media detail page? or Navigated into Movies folder --> selected a movie --> media detail page, or ....

I need to either hide the covers option in details view, or respect that option. I think I'd rather support the option rather than hide it so I'll see how it goes. As for layouts, as I mentioned to Lee I'm more focused on bugs at this point than view changes perhaps something for later on.

techywarrior

Just to make it even easier to figure out.... when I went and tried to reproduce the next/prev issue it worked perfectly. I did the exact same thing that I did last night, same movie, same entry path, etc. but it all worked fine.

Something I did notice tho was that the accent color that I selected was replaced by the one my GF selected for her profile. The accent color should be profile specific. (that should be possible right because themes are tied to the profile not MBC directly?) I didn't look but I know in other themes the list styles associated with one profile aren't copied to the other profiles, and different profiles can have completely different themes.

Soultaker

Just to make it even easier to figure out.... when I went and tried to reproduce the next/prev issue it worked perfectly. I did the exact same thing that I did last night, same movie, same entry path, etc. but it all worked fine.

Something I did notice tho was that the accent color that I selected was replaced by the one my GF selected for her profile. The accent color should be profile specific. (that should be possible right because themes are tied to the profile not MBC directly?) I didn't look but I know in other themes the list styles associated with one profile aren't copied to the other profiles, and different profiles can have completely different themes.

Hmm, I havent seen any single theme plugin have specific user profile support. I'll have a look.

Hmm, I havent seen any single theme plugin have specific user profile support. I'll have a look.

ST - your config file is a single one for all profiles (because we couldn't change the location of it) but all true display preferences are saved on the server and per user profile.

So, if you save things like this in a custom display preference you will get user-specific ones for free.  But, if you need to save to local config files, then you'll need to come up with a scheme for saving for different users.

techywarrior

ST, if you can't save to the server like ebr suggests maybe save the config settings as color-{user_id string} and then you can check for it that way...or something better that you can come up with.

Soultaker

ST - your config file is a single one for all profiles (because we couldn't change the location of it) but all true display preferences are saved on the server and per user profile.

So, if you save things like this in a custom display preference you will get user-specific ones for free.  But, if you need to save to local config files, then you'll need to come up with a scheme for saving for different users.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the custom display prefs are tied to the current folder are they not? I require something tied to the user themselves.

eg. userprofile.customsettings.SquareThemeblahblah

Soultaker

Whats the likelihood of leveraging the root folder this way being unsupported or replaced in the future?

*EDIT

Also if everyone throws their whole config in there, doesnt that increase the size of the payload of display prefs to crazy numbers?

Edited by Soultaker

It should be fine for just a few settings.

I wasn't thinking you'd put the whole configuration in it.

You could also just name your configuration file based on user name. A user is always chosen by the time your plugin loads.

@@Soultaker bought theme as it's pretty much the neo upgrade i was hoping for :)

One thing i don't think works is the highlight for collections could you change the text to green opposed to the shadow behind it?

Even a "square" block of colour would suit the theme better...

Just my opinion mind you!!!