Nothing will play for more than a second

sangerhonda

sangerhonda

Restarted server and now i get blank screen.  With different player options below.  It seems it's trying to use a different player.  But i haven't changed any settings.

post-2808-0-66384700-1477691428_thumb.jpg

sangerhonda

I never use the web app.  Tried to log in just now and i keep getting connection failure.  Looked at the server dashboard and i see under recent activity failed login attempt

DoubleDD

I'm having the same issue.

For me it appears to have something to do with bitstreaming.

If I turn bitstreaming off, all my videos play properly.

If I turn bitstreaming on, any videos with DTS/DTSHD/Dolby TrueHD/etc try to play, but then return right back to the video detail page.

I'm running Emby on Windows 10 using AMD 7800 series video card (HDMI out), with the latest LAV filters installed.

I'm also using MPC-BE as an external player and bitstreaming works fine through MPC-BE.

DoubleDD

Speaker layout                         7.1

Audio bitstreaming mode         HDMI

Audio renderer                         Default

Dynamic range compression   None

Expand mono                          Yes

Expand 6.1 to 7.1                    Yes

WASAPI audio device              Default Device

I've tried changing just about every setting and combination of settings.

The only setting that seems to allow playback is setting Audio bitstreaming mode to None.

I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling Emby Theater.  No change.

Guest asrequested

Speaker layout                         7.1

Audio bitstreaming mode         HDMI

Audio renderer                         Default

Dynamic range compression   None

Expand mono                          Yes

Expand 6.1 to 7.1                    Yes

WASAPI audio device              Default Device

I've tried changing just about every setting and combination of settings.

The only setting that seems to allow playback is setting Audio bitstreaming mode to None.

I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling Emby Theater.  No change.

So you've tried setting the renderer to WASAPI, and specifying your receiver as the WASAPI Audio Device?

sangerhonda

My Bitstream was off to begin with and renderer was default and WASAPI device was default and still had problems. I changed renderer to WASAPI and device to Realtek digital as doofus recommended and now it works. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

If you change the settings you need to make sure your equipment supports the new values, or playback will fail. This is an area the app can improve on in the future by falling back to something basic in the event of failures, just to ensure that it plays.

Guest asrequested

If you change the settings you need to make sure your equipment supports the new values, or playback will fail. 

What receiver do you have? 

My Bitstream was off to begin with and renderer was default and WASAPI device was default and still had problems. I changed renderer to WASAPI and device to Realtek digital as doofus recommended and now it works. Thanks.

Realtek is the onboard audio processor. Your receiver should be named in the selections, if you are using HDMI.

5816272d5e40c_Snapshot_337.jpg

Edited by Doofus

sangerhonda

i actually haven't changed anything.  for some reason it just stopped working with the settings i had.  I have an Onkyo TX NR838.

post-2808-0-87176100-1477848280_thumb.jpg

sangerhonda

It says "Realtek digital output (optical)" and receiver is Onkyo TX NR838. I have the PC connected to TV with HDMI and to receiver through optical cable. The receiver is not on the list.

Yes now I have renderer as WASAPI

Guest asrequested

It says "Realtek digital output (optical)" and receiver is Onkyo TX NR838. I have the PC connected to TV with HDMI and to receiver through optical cable. The receiver is not on the list.

Yes now I have renderer as WASAPI

If you're using optical, it only supports 5.1. So you'll need to make sure your settings are in accordance with that.

Something like this:

5816b9162ac7c_Snapshot_342.jpg

If you want to have full use of all codecs, you'll need to remove the optical cable and use the HDMI, only. That's the only thing that supports TrueHD, Atmos, DTS-HD-MA etc. The HDMI cable will allow identifying data to be communicated, and then should show in the audio settings. You should then configure your settings similar to this:

5816bac6dd994_Snapshot_343.jpg

DoubleDD

So I sorted out the reason why Emby stopped bitstreaming for me.

I was setting up a new Windows 10 system over the weekend and noticed some odd behaviour in other apps also, so I started a clean install of Windows 10 again, making a change and running Emby every time I made a change to see if I could pin-point the problem.

Turns out the problem was with the default folders (Documents, Downloads, Music, Videos, etc) that reside in the User Profile directory.

I had an issue a while back where I was running out of space on my C:\ drive and found out that most of the default folders in the User Profile directory have an option to be 'moved'.  So I moved them from the C:\ drive to my H:\ data drive.  BTW, it's not a typical 'windows explorer' move.  If you right-click the folder and select properties you see a tab named 'Location'.  Under the 'Location' tab you can 're-direct' the folder to any area you'd like.

Once the folders were moved Emby bitstreaming stopped working.  I can't say for sure why this is, but that was the issue for me.

Going forward, as long as I move the folders prior to installing any apps, everything appears to work properly.

If you move the folders after the apps (in this case Emby) have already been installed, that's when the problems start.

Aren't computers fun ;)

Guest asrequested

Well, that's interesting. Maybe @@Luke should take a look at that. You should post your ET log. I'm glad you figured it out.

Edited by Doofus