Theatre suddenly opens into black screen

Jack Burton

Jack Burton

This morning everything worked fine. Left things alone for about 2 hours, came back and booted up ET. Now I only get a black screen, no log in, no spinning circle, nothing, Running version 2.5.27. Installed 2.5.26 which worked fine before and still no go. Added the last 4 logs. Is it hanging after checking for updates?

theater-63613264803.txt

theater-63613265111.txt

theater-63613265429.txt

theater-63613273271.txt

morgainemonk

yes, I'm having a similar issue... Full screen = black/blank...

Still getting mouse cursor changing from arrow to pointing finger wherever I'm guessing my content is...

A double click anywhere there's no finger (i.e the arrow cursor) minimises window, and everything works - including playing...

back to fullscreen = blank again.. 

Jack Burton

yes, I'm having a similar issue... Full screen = black/blank...

Still getting mouse cursor changing from arrow to pointing finger wherever I'm guessing my content is...

A double click anywhere there's no finger (i.e the arrow cursor) minimises window, and everything works - including playing...

back to fullscreen = blank again.. 

Complete uninstall and reinstall of ET worked for me

I noticed this on one test machine following a Windows 10 fast ring update. It starts black but fixes itself with a double click. Since it is a machine on the fast ring I haven't looked into it yet since these kinds of things often get fixed with the next update.

• 1 month later...
Dibbes

I'm having this issue now. It's installed on a Win10 1607 build and worked till late this afternoon. For whatever reason, ET just gives a Black screen. I've tried reinstalling to 2.5.30, but nogo. 

When pressing the back button, the emby logo shows, but it doesn't seem to react to anything else after.

The UWP version installs and runs without issues

Edited by Dibbes

I noticed this on one test machine following a Windows 10 fast ring update. It starts black but fixes itself with a double click. Since it is a machine on the fast ring I haven't looked into it yet since these kinds of things often get fixed with the next update.

No update have been applied on either of my machines since Nov 27....and both rebooted numerous times since then and worked just fine.  All I did was restart ET because coming out of sleep the fullscreen was messed.   BTW....what is this "double click" you speak of???

Tried uninstalling completely....re-installed.   Even went so far as to bypass the installer and pull straight from GitHub and same thing.  One thing that strike me is that this is in my logs (attached both from installer and GitHub download)

2016-12-06 13:47:58.6947 Error App: Secure requested, but no certificate found at:

theater-63616627544.txt

theater-63616628877.txt

julianb
Just got this issue today my self. Have tried to uninstall & reinstall, deactivate "windows defender, firewall, etc", tried with different resolutions. Still just a black screen. 

Running Windows 10 x64 (RTM). This is on my HTPC with RX 480 from AMD. 

EDIT: Also tried to download from the Git, without sucsess. Even tried to run an old ET installed i had stored on a USB stick for backup and testing..

Edited by julianb

jscoys

Just got this issue today my self. Have tried to uninstall & reinstall, deactivate "windows defender, firewall, etc", tried with different resolutions. Still just a black screen.

Running Windows 10 x64 (RTM). This is on my HTPC with RX 480 from AMD.

EDIT: Also tried to download from the Git, without sucsess. Even tried to run an old ET installed i had stored on a USB stick for backup and testing..

+1 here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 Here

I have a NUC Intel core I5 with windows 10. It was working this morning and tonite while i launched it a black screen. I have tried reinstall it several times but it doesn't work. 

Do you have any solution for this problem ? Thanks.

tomasstendahl

+1 here, too

Win10 64-bit AMD A-6.

Tried all of the suggestions on other threads with no effect. Black screen. Mouse point does not change at all other than corners/edges which seem to be resizable. Otherwise unresponsive. Was working perfectly well until I tried to watch a trailer on YouTube.

Help! The missus is going to kill me soon - it's our main front room TV.

soundmarsh

Same here. This morning the kids turned on the TV to a blank screen. I had to windows key to bring up start menu and kill emby theater. It has not worked since. We have been using the chrome app as an alternative for now. 

I have one machine that stay up to date and another that has updates turned off and both have same issue. This appears to be an Emby Theater issue. Was there an auto update to emby last night? 

• Like 1

+1

Upon carefully looking at the black screen, I exit the program and instantly notice a Net Framework window appear and disappear.

I don't know if that's normal or not. See if you all notice... Thought it might help troubleshoot.

simpsons11

This happened to me today. All clients load with a black screen. The last time this happened to me, it was a networking issue. Once all the computers got in the home group it worked just fine. The issue is everything on my network is right. I can stream movies from the web browser and from WMC Emby, its just Emby theater that is having the issues. Was working just fine this morning.

Same here. Surface pro 3 with Win10pro. worked fine when i started it ten minutes ago. and then I shut it down and restarted it just now to have a look at something and black screen straight away no logos and nothing when clicking mouse. Have to Alt/Tab to get out of it.

Dev Server 3.1.6184.6156

ET 2.5.30

+1

Been experiencing the same black screen on Emby Theater for Windows since a few days now. Tried uninstalling completely and reinstalling multiple times but didn't worked.

3.1.6184.6156 Server

now it won't even let me re-install....

"Application cannot be started.... Contact the application vendor"

Here are the details:

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
 Windows    : 10.0.14393.0 (Win32NT)
 Common Language Runtime  : 4.0.30319.42000
 System.Deployment.dll   : 4.6.1586.0 built by: NETFXREL2
 clr.dll    : 4.6.1586.0 built by: NETFXREL2
 dfdll.dll    : 4.6.1586.0 built by: NETFXREL2
 dfshim.dll    : 10.0.14393.0 (rs1_release.160715-1616)
SOURCES
 Deployment url   : http://embydata.com/downloads/theater/release1/Emby.Theater.Installer.application
      Server  : cloudflare-nginx
IDENTITIES
 Deployment Identity  : Emby.Theater.Installer.application, Version=3.0.1.32, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0526f36dafbe11ea, processorArchitecture=msil
APPLICATION SUMMARY
 * Online only application.
ERROR SUMMARY
 Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
 * Activation of http://embydata.com/downloads/theater/release1/Emby.Theater.Installer.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
  + Value does not fall within the expected range.
COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
 No transaction error was detected.
WARNINGS
 There were no warnings during this operation.
OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
 * [2016-12-06 8:03:18 PM] : Activation of http://embydata.com/downloads/theater/release1/Emby.Theater.Installer.application has started.
 * [2016-12-06 8:03:18 PM] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.
ERROR DETAILS
 Following errors were detected during this operation.
 * [2016-12-06 8:03:18 PM] System.ArgumentException
  - Value does not fall within the expected range.
  - Source: System.Deployment
  - Stack trace:
   at System.Deployment.Application.NativeMethods.CorLaunchApplication(UInt32 hostType, String applicationFullName, Int32 manifestPathsCount, String[] manifestPaths, Int32 activationDataCount, String[] activationData, PROCESS_INFORMATION processInformation)
   at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.ActivateApplication(DefinitionAppId appId, String activationParameter, Boolean useActivationParameter)
   at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.ActivateApplication(DefinitionAppId appId, String activationParameter, Boolean useActivationParameter)
   at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.Activate(DefinitionAppId appId, AssemblyManifest appManifest, String activationParameter, Boolean useActivationParameter)
   at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
   at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
 * Transaction at [2016-12-06 8:03:18 PM]
  + System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.StoreOperationSetDeploymentMetadata
   - HRESULT: 0x0
  + System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.StoreTransactionOperationType (27)
   - HRESULT: 0x0

Jobber8742

Same issue here as well. Was watching a show, then it became unresponsive, restarted Theater and then just a black screen. All 3 PC's with Theater are now responding the same. Something definitely screwed up. Hope they get it running again. It's been down all day. Had to revert back to the old WMC app. Glad I never uninstalled it. 

Hi guys,

I apologize for the disruption. I've just pushed an update to resolve it. Your installation will download the changes on it's own within the next 24 hours, but here is how you can get them immediately.

Shut down the app, then delete the following folder:

C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\data\electron\Service Worker

Making sure to substitute {user} with your windows user name.

Please let me know if this resolves it for you. Thanks !

• Like 5

Hi guys,

I'm extremely sorry about this. I've just pushed an update to resolve it. Your installation will download the changes on it's own within the next 24 hours, but here is how you can get them immediately.

Shut down the app, then delete the following folder:

C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\data\electron\Service Worker

Making sure to substitute {user} with your windows user name.

Please let me know if this resolves it for you. Thanks !

Getting my comment out of the quote box lol

Fixed me up!    

I made another post Luke asking about this and the subscription model.  Please don't take it the wrong way....love Emby.  Just want reassurance :)

Edited by jbl77