Emby Unnecessarily Transcoding?

manicjonah

manicjonah

I record several shows in Windows Media Center that I then convert in MCEBuddy from .wtv format.  Many of the shows play just fine in Emby but several of them are transcoded while being played.  I can't figure out why.  My playback settings have slowly been increased to 120Mbps yet the video I'm using for demonstration purposes here has a significantly lower bitrate. 

58135e60ccbdb_Capture.png

Before posting here I attempted to view the video in Emby from a browser session and it won't play at all there.  Do you see something in the video settings above that would prompt Emby to transcode my video for play on the Samsung app and make it not playable at all in the web client?

Thanks,

MJ

manicjonah

OK, I've attached the logs.  I just want to add that the inability to play the video in my browser has something to do with my browser and is no longer a concern.  I attached both the server and fffmpeg log.  Thanks for the reply, I'm really looking forward to eliminating the transcoding that's happening!

MJ

ffmpeg-directstream-27a02d46-cff3-4090-8f1c-657e45d24155.txt

server-63613209601.txt

Ok yea this isnt' a browser log though. This looks like playback from another app, possibly samsung or dlna?

manicjonah

Yeah, we use the Emby app for Samsung TVs almost exclusively.  Does the log give a reason for why this is happening on some of our shows?

manicjonah

The TV I'm focused on is a 2013 "F" series (UN55F6300).  I took my sample file and put it on a USB drive to play on this TV.  It played fine.  After that test I fired up the Emby App (v 2.1.3) on my Samsung TV and played the same video it was transcoding.  I then played the video on my "H" series Samsung TV with v 2.1.2 of the Emby App - same result.  I logged into Emby via Google Chrome to play the video and the streaming rate was "Direct".  What should I be looking at?

Thanks again for replying.

MJ

Happy2Play

You say transcoding but the log you posted says directstream.  So are you getting them confused?

Stream mapping:
  Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
  Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (copy)

Since this is an issue in the App there isn't anything the server can do.

Do you have the same issues using DLNA or Play to on your TV?

OT:  I believe I had a similar issue but with DLNA on an old Samsung TV (C series) when playing mp4 files and as soon as I modified the Response Profile to add mp4 resolved my issue.  So the app may need to adjust is capabilities.