Emby Add-on for Kodi intalled on an Android Smart TV

evereste
Go to solution Solved by Angelblue05,

evereste

Hello Emby Community! 

This is my first time posting here and I hope that I can get some help.

I have been using Kodi for a while and I love it, but I like Emby's server media management much better, so have have been running Emby add-on on Kodi on my Windows PC and I recently done the same on my android phone, with no major hick-ups, wich is briliant and thsi set-up really works for me.

So when I decided to get a TV I got a Sony Android TV (4k but that is irrelevant) and installed the Kodi app from the store and Emby's add-on...all the media is synchronized and I see al my movies there, all the meta-data just like on my PC and Phone, the problem comes when I just press play on any movie it gives me an error and to check the logs for more info! I have no idea how to check the logs on Kodi, specially on a TV (not very tech literate)

I have searched the forums and googled it to see if this situation has happened before but haven't find anything similar.

I hope someone can give me some guidance.

Cheers

Angelblue05

@@evereste

Hi there, this usually indicates a problem with your paths. What are your library paths (in the emby dashboard > library > 3dots >  manage folder)? Did you enter the network path equivalent to access the same content over your network? It sounds like your original setup has Kodi installed on the same device as your server so your content is accessible locally. But from your TV, it will need to access your content over the network.

Let me know.

Edited by Angelblue05

evereste

Hi!

Yes, I have been reading this post: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/19369-mb-on-kodi-playback-failed/ that seems to have a similar issue.

My library Paths are: D:\Movies for my movies ; E:\Music for my music ; etc...

I suppose I would have to make a path substitution to something like: \\myipaddress\Movies ; \\myipaddress\Music ; etc?

Nevertheless have noticed that with new update path substitutions are no longer made and I need to add  \\myipaddress\Movies ; \\myipaddress\Music ; etc under (Optional) Shared network folder:?

The thing is I have been using this method in my android phone that access the content over the network and I didn't find any such problems...

Thank you in advance

• Solution
Angelblue05

Yes, that is correct. You need to share your library folders, such as D:\Movies, E:\Music

This is what you'd then add to the field (Optional) Shared network folder:  \\{hostname or ip}\Movies

Can you confirm the playback mode on your android phone by going to the add-on settings > sync options > playback mode. It should be either addon or native. Let me know

Depending on the playback mode you choose, you'll get different outcome. If you choose native playback mode, Kodi is 100% in charge of playback, so the path we enter in the database needs to be accessible to Kodi. If you use addon playback mode, then the add-on provides the path/url to the file, to Kodi at the time of playback. This allows the addon to bypass path issues if there's any and provide the HTTP address to your file via your server instead (guarantees successful playback).

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

evereste

Yes, that is correct. You need to share your library folders, such as D:\Movies, E:\Music

This is what you'd then add to the field (Optional) Shared network folder:  \\{hostname or ip}\Movies

Can you confirm the playback mode on your android phone by going to the add-on settings > sync options > playback mode. It should be either addon or native. Let me know

Depending on the playback mode you choose, you'll get different outcome. If you choose native playback mode, Kodi is 100% in charge of playback, so the path we enter in the database needs to be accessible to Kodi. If you use addon playback mode, then the add-on provides the path/url to the file, to Kodi at the time of playback. This allows the addon to bypass path issues if there's any and provide the HTTP address to your file via your server instead (guarantees successful playback).

Ok, I checked and on my Android phone the playback mode is indeed set as Addon. 

The playback mode on Kodi in the TV was also addon, the difference that I have found was on the login method, while I had Manual on my phone and Emby connect on the TV and was lacking the Server name...I have changed it to Manual and added the server name and it is working flawlessly again, didn't need to add the path on the shared network folder^^

Just as a matter of curiosity since I have my folder in different separate drives I would have to input the path as: \\{hostname or ip}\D:\Movies ; \\{hostname or ip}\E:\Music ; etc... right?

Thank you so much for the support, you guys/girls rule!

Cheers,

Tiago

• Like 1

Angelblue05

No, the path would be \\{hostname or ip}\Movies, \\{hostname or ip}\Music

The drive letter is no longer referenced. The file is found via network (smb://{hostname or ip}/Movies)

The playback mode on Kodi in the TV was also addon, the difference that I have found was on the login method, while I had Manual on my phone and Emby connect on the TV and was lacking the Server name...I have changed it to Manual and added the server name and it is working flawlessly again, didn't need to add the path on the shared network folder^^

Yeah I just corrected a small bug that caused the missing server name/id.

Edited by Angelblue05