Question about recording Live TV to .mp4 on different OSes.

panamajim

panamajim

I have Emby installed on Ubuntu 16.04 and Windows 10.  I've been working through different issues on each platform and for about two weeks now I've had both installations recording the same TV programs.  The hardware platforms and OSes are different but the settings within Emby are the same.  More importantly, both installations run the same version of ffmpeg.  I've noticed that for any particular recording the final file size on Windows is almost always smaller than the Ubuntu version.  In most cases the file size is between maybe 5 to 10 percent smaller, in other cases I've seen the Windows recording be almost 40 percent smaller.

Has anyone else encountered this?  What causes the differences in sizes?  If I'm using the same version of ffmpeg on both systems wouldn't the final product be the same size?

We'd have to look at a specific example. It's possible the encoders themselves may have code that varies per platform.

But most importantly, it's not really an equal comparison unless the content is exactly the same. Is it?

panamajim

Luke, even with the highest precision commercial clocks installed on both computers it would be impossible to have "exactly" the same content on both systems.  That said, they both record the same stream from the HDHomeRun and they both start/stop at the same times.  I'm sure there's a minor variation in clocks between the systems as I haven't pinned either to a NTP source for time updates but within those parameters I'd say yeah, the content is the same.

The Windows system is significantly beefier, i7-4770k with 32 GB RAM and two GTX 960s while the Linux box is an AMD 955 Black with 16 GB RAM and an old ATI video card.  Still, both systems have no issues transcoding on the fly so I think the hardware differences would be a wash.  My guess is that the Windows codec may be more efficient due to build options but....  *shrug*  I don't know.

Andy777

In addition to the build options (and different compilers on different OS platforms), the ffmpeg also has multiple runtime optimizations that depends on the cpu of the system it runs. Also the external libraries used (when compiling) could be different versions (e.g.x264). 40% difference (if the file is large) sounds a bit too large though to be caused by these.

BR,

Andy777