Multiple Resolutions of same movie [SD/HD]

naeonline

naeonline

I looked and couldn't find this request requested and i'm not sure if this is already a feature.  I often have a least a couple of versions of my movies, say a DVD rip and a BluRay rip of the same movie.  The server and client should be able to auto negotiate what the client can handle and automatically send the correct version.

For example, lets say I have Captain America converted to h264 in mp4s.

\\Server\Movies\Captain America (2011)\Captain America (2011) [PG-13][1080p].mp4

\\Server\Movies\Captain America (2011)\Captain America (2011) [PG-13][720p].mp4

\\Server\Movies\Captain America (2011)\Captain America (2011) [PG-13][480p].mp4

If i'm watching it on my TV through my Roku it would use the 1080p version.

If I'm watching it on my phone locally it would use the 720p versionm but if remotely the 480p version.

Given that direct play is now enabled, this should allow even less transcoding which in turn allows lower-specc'd proccessors to be used in servers.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
GyroDragona

It has been a couple years since this was brought up. Where does support for this stand right now?

As it is right now Plex supports it and has for a long time but I am looking to move away from it to Emby but this feature is needed badly. I have also noticed that Emby does not handle the bonus/extra content at all but I am more then willing to just get rid of that content.

Koleckai Silvestri

Have you checked out our wiki on movie naming? Because we support both of these things

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie%20naming

Have never gotten this to work. Each movie appears as a separate entry. Wasn't as important as other multi-formats such as theatrical cut versus director's cut so I gave up trying to get it to work. Try it every few months and it doesn't work so I back out the changes. What version was this implemented in?

A long long time ago. The key is the naming requirement.

That's good to know; and is the intent for better negotiation per bandwidth? I assume it would make a decision based on the file bitrate if all other codecs are the same.

I'll have to give that a shot.

CFC

Edited by CFC

That's good to know; and is the intent for better negotiation per bandwidth? I assume it would make a decision based on the file bitrate if all other codecs are the same.

I'll have to give that a shot.

CFC

Yes, exactly.

GyroDragona

I actually have a naming scheme that I already use similar to that. The following is an example.

\Movies\Movie Name (2014)\Movie Name (2014).mkv
\Movies\Movie Name (2014)\Movie Name (2014) w420 - 320kbps.mp4
\Movies\Movie Name (2014)\Movie Name (2014) w476 - 720kbps.mp4
\Movies\Movie Name (2014)\Movie Name (2014) w720 - 1500kbps.mp4
\Movies\Movie Name (2014)\Movie Name (2014) w1280 - 2000kbps.mp4
\Movies\Movie Name (2014)\Movie Name (2014) w1280 - 3000kbps.mp4
\Movies\Movie Name (2014)\Movie Name (2014) w1280 - 4000kbps.mp4
\Movies\Movie Name (2014)\Movie Name (2014) w1920 - 8000kbps.mp4

I see that I will need to add a sash and get rid of the "w" (to indicate width). What would I need to do to preserve the different bit-rates? In the "Multi-resolution movies" section it only mentions different resolutions but does not mention different bit-rates for the same resolutions.
Edited by GyroDragona

Well the media info is there for each one so nothing has actually been lost. Is that what you mean? 

After the dash you can name each version whatever you like. It could be

Movie.mkv

Movie - 1080p.mkv

Movie - waffle.mkv

Does that answer your question?

GyroDragona

Well the media info is there for each one so nothing has actually been lost. Is that what you mean? 

After the dash you can name each version whatever you like. It could be

Movie.mkv

Movie - 1080p.mkv

Movie - waffle.mkv

Does that answer your question?

Ya, with the way I have it now it makes them all a separate entry. That info about the dash is actually quite helpful. I will rename them and see if that helps clean them up.

I did notice one thing though. If they both have the same file name but different extension then it will still put them in separate entries instead of a single one. Example as follows:

\Movies\Back to the Future (1985)\Back to the Future (1985).mkv

\Movies\Back to the Future (1985)\Back to the Future (1985).mp4

Edited by GyroDragona

GyroDragona

Have you checked out our wiki on movie naming? Because we support both of these things

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie%20naming

I have followed the naming scheme that is covered in that link but it is still throwing my extra content into the main movie listings.

\Movies\How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014)\extras\

Anything for that directory should be put in as extra bonus content for How to Train Your Dragon 2 from what I understand but it is still being listed with the movies. Is there something I missed? (I did for a library rescan after making the changes.)

It also is not grouping any of the converted versions into a single listing even though I also followed your advice for that as well.

\Movies\How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014)\

In there I have the following.

\extras\

How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014).mkv

How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014) - [236p 320kbps].mp4

How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014) - [320p 720kbps].mp4

How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014) - [720p 2000kbps].mp4

How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014) - [1080p 8000kbps].mp4

Every item is listed separately even though I have followed naming conventions. I am having the same problems with other movies as well.

Edited by GyroDragona

Koleckai Silvestri

Information within brackets is ignored in some cases. You would have to remove those.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

Deathsquirrel

I have followed the naming scheme that is covered in that link but it is still throwing my extra content into the main movie listings.

\Movies\How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014)\extras\

Anything for that directory should be put in as extra bonus content for How to Train Your Dragon 2 from what I understand but it is still being listed with the movies. Is there something I missed? (I did for a library rescan after making the changes.)

It also is not grouping any of the converted versions into a single listing even though I also followed your advice for that as well.

\Movies\How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014)\

In there I have the following.

\extras\

How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014) - [236p 320kbps].mp4

How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014) - [320p 720kbps].mp4

How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014) - [720p 2000kbps].mp4

How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014) - [1080p 8000kbps].mp4

Every item is listed separately even though I have followed naming conventions. I am having the same problems with other movies as well.

Looks almost correct.  Those should not be in the extras folder as they aren't special features.  Also the square brackets need to be removed as Koleckai said.

GyroDragona

Information within brackets is ignored in some cases. You would have to remove those.

Removed the brackets, it did not resolve the problem. (I made sure to have it rescan the library.) This feature seems to be broken or at least have VERY limited filename masking that is far too strict. I have not had problems like this at all with Plex and movie grouping.

Looks almost correct.  Those should not be in the extras folder as they aren't special features.  Also the square brackets need to be removed as Koleckai said.

They are not in an extras folder. That is a folder that is listed along side the actual movie files. It contains the extra content for that movie. But those are being listed alongside the movies instead of as extras.

I am running server version 3.0.5818.0 if that info will help at all with any of this.
Edited by GyroDragona

GyroDragona

What are your exact file names?

\Movies\How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014)\How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014).mkv

\Movies\How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014)\How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014) - 236p 320kbps.mp4

\Movies\How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014)\How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014) - 320p 720kbps.mp4

\Movies\How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014)\How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014) - 720p 2000kbps.mp4

\Movies\How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014)\How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014) - 1080p 8000kbps.mp4

\Movies\How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014)\extras\Berk's Dragon World.mkv

\Movies\How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014)\extras\Dawn of the Dragon Racers.mkv

\Movies\How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014)\extras\Deleted Scenes.mkv

\Movies\How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014)\extras\Drago's War Machines.mkv

\Movies\How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014)\extras\Fishlegs' Dragon Stats.mkv

\Movies\How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014)\extras\Hiccup's Inventions in Flight.mkv

\Movies\How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014)\extras\Where No One Goes - The Making of How to Train Your Dragon 2.mkv

I tested this and the reason is because this file name is not suffixed according to the wiki documentation

How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014)

I will see if I can lift that restriction for the next release.

GyroDragona

I tested this and the reason is because this file name is not suffixed according to the wiki documentation

How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014)

I will see if I can lift that restriction for the next release.

I am not sure I follow. According to what I am seeing in the wiki I have met the requirements for how they should be named for multiple conversions of the same movie. Also, I still have the extras showing as separate movies even though according to the wiki I have met the requirements for that as well.

Edited by GyroDragona

In the current release server, all of them have to be suffixed with the space and dash. Renaming this file will resolve it

So that's what I've changed for the next release.

GyroDragona

In the current release server, all of them have to be suffixed with the space and dash. Renaming this file will resolve it

So that's what I've changed for the next release.

So I would have to change it from:

to: 

How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014) -.mkv

well you should give it a name after the dash. that will fix the extras too because it's all related. with multiple resolved movies in one folder, the extras becomes just a random folder of videos. Once the naming is fixed they all become one movie and then the extras belong to that movie. the naming requirements are being loosened up a bit for the next release.

GyroDragona

well you should give it a name after the dash. that will fix the extras too because it's all related. with multiple resolved movies in one folder, the extras becomes just a random folder of videos. Once the naming is fixed they all become one movie and then the extras belong to that movie. the naming requirements are being loosened up a bit for the next release.

Nice! It is working now! Thank you for taking the time to help me clear this all up. Now I wish I had not simply gotten rid of a bunch of the extra content and versions I had re-encoded. How To Train Your Dragon 2 is all in order now though and with all the bonus content too. I am glad that things will be made a bit easier for the next version though. If I was trying to get help from the Plex crew I would have been waiting months to hear anything from them if at all.

Edited by GyroDragona
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
bfahner

Hmm.. Obviously I'm responding to an old thread, but I'm not really able to grasp the full thing here. I've got two versions a given file. Is the extension also a mandatory item for the grouping of the files? I have a 1080p version in mkv and a 720p version in mp4. Still, it appears as two.

And how do I deal with the subtitles subsequently?

Example:

Red Dwarf - S01E01 - The End - 1080p.mkv

Red Dwarf - S01E01 - The End - 720p.mp4

Red Dwarf - S01E01 - The End.en.srt

Thanks,

bauke

legallink

@@bfahner

The naming convention is relatively strict (but not necessarily as strict as you might think).  The file naming you indicated above looks correct, and the file extension obviously has to be there.  But the next very important key is that the folder and the files have the exact same name.

Aka

TV Series/

/Red Dwarf

/Red Dwarf S01E01.....

That being said, I don't know if it works for TV series as well as movies or just Movies.

@@Luke can you shed some light on the issue of it accommodates for TV Series, seeing as the season/episode naming may affect the identification of the identical folder name issue?