Some questons about hardware transcoding??

relink2013

relink2013

good afternoon,

I am looking to enable hardware transcoding on my new emby server, as my current server just isnt cutting it anymore. I read over the Wiki but it appears to be a little outdated. So I figure id just ask here.

1. Is a nvidia GTX 660TI an adequate card for hardware transcoding? I need a minimum of 2 simultaneous streams. Its a Kepler GPU so it is capable of NVENC. but how many simultaneous streams can it handle? Also, what about a GTX730? id prefer to use the 730 if possible as its a single slot card and would use less space and power.

2. What is the proper procedure to enable hardware transcoding with an nvidia card? I have read the Wiki, but it seems like it might be outdated. If not please correct me.

Thank You

Edited by relink2013

panamajim

The 660TI and 730 will both work without issues.  (Just not in the same computer, at the same time.)

Edited by panamajim

relink2013

Wait so its gotten to a point where all I have to do is turn the option on in settings now? awesome. Any idea what kind of performance increase I might see?

Well it is still expiremental and your mileage will vary. It is really hard to predict any possible performance improvement. Often times the benefit is really just being able to offload from the cpu.