Feature Request - Add exit button to Fire TV app

kjacques1

kjacques1

Hello,

One of the more frustrating things that my family experiences with the Fire TV app is that it doesn't always start when clicked on. The app is set to close after 30 minutes of inactivity but I don't think it does. 

The only to get it to work when it is in this state is to either open and close several times or force close it in the app manager. 

Can we get an exit button added to it so we can cleanly close it?

Thanks.

Edited by kjacques1

It is pretty much impossible to "close" an Android app without just force stopping it.  The system decides when to actually shut it down.

What we need to figure out is why it is hung when you try to come back.  What, exactly, is your normal "quit" and then "restart" procedure?

kjacques1

Pretty much stopping what ever is playing and then hitting the home button. When you say force stopping is this what other apps are doing then. For example, Netflix and Kodi have exit buttons on them.

Those other apps aren't actually stopping (well, I'm not sure about Kodi because it isn't really an Android app).

You can "exit" our app the same way by backing all the way out.  The issue with an exit button is there is no place we can put it where it would always be there - and it just shouldn't be necessary.

I think what must be happening is the FTV is going to sleep before we have a chance to exit.  Then, when you re-wake the Fire, something in the app is hanging up because maybe the network isn't ready or something else.  I've noticed that the Fire has a ridiculously short sleep time out (like 10 minutes).

As a test, try backing all the way out of the app instead of using the home button - just to see if that makes the issue go away.  If it does, maybe that will give me something to look at to fix it.  Thanks.

I can confirm I have the same problem and have tried clicking "back" to "exit" the app.  It's super frustrating.  I have to "force stop" through the FireTV application manager in order to launch Emby the second time.

The other thing to try - which I'm pretty sure will solve the overall issue, is to set the auto logoff to the max because it is probably that logic that is getting tripped up coming out of sleep.

LOL, I just got a new FireTV and am using my trial period to test everything.  One of the problems I've had is going into it just gives me a blank screen.  I'm such a noob I need to look up "force close" and how to do it, because I got around all of this by unplugging the thing!  Anyway, so far so good.

The other thing to try - which I'm pretty sure will solve the overall issue, is to set the auto logoff to the max because it is probably that logic that is getting tripped up coming out of sleep.

I've only done very limited testing over the past couple of days, but so far this seems to have fixed the issue.

I've only done very limited testing over the past couple of days, but so far this seems to have fixed the issue.

Thanks for reporting back.  I'm trying to figure out what is going wrong but, so far, I have never been able to reproduce it so I'm just stabbing in the dark.

Thanks for reporting back.  I'm trying to figure out what is going wrong but, so far, I have never been able to reproduce it so I'm just stabbing in the dark.

So I waited two days and Emby was hung again when I tried launching it.  Force kill the app and it logs right back in.  So I agree that it has something to do with the auto logout feature.  Is it possible to somehow turn off auto logoff?

There will be a new release soon that may improve this.  I really wish I could figure out how to reproduce though because this has never happened to me and I've tried everything I can think of to make it happen.

kjacques1

So just to report back, If I exit completely out it seems to behave correctly when relaunching. Still would like to see an exit button though. I know you said this isn't how Android works, but even the HD Home run app asks if you want to exit when you back out of it.

Force closing makes no difference in my case. The screen says "Loading", and the spinning circle goes on for quite a while. I usually give up after 30 _ 40 seconds. Once I am in, the setting for start up behavior is ignored. I have all my Fire TV's set to automatically log in as whichever user, but it ignores that and gives me the log in screen. I will change the auto logout and report back.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

So just to report back, If I exit completely out it seems to behave correctly when relaunching. Still would like to see an exit button though. I know you said this isn't how Android works, but even the HD Home run app asks if you want to exit when you back out of it.

I would exit completely and wait a couple of hours and try again before deciding wether that works. In my case exciting and immediately going back in always works. It's trying to use the app for the first time that day that gives me trouble.

Force closing makes no difference in my case. The screen says "Loading", and the spinning circle goes on for quite a while. I usually give up after 30 _ 40 seconds. Once I am in, the setting for start up behavior is ignored. I have all my Fire TV's set to automatically log in as whichever user, but it ignores that and gives me the log in screen. I will change the auto logout and report back.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Your situation is different.  It sounds like we simply cannot contact your server.

An exit button in the interface somewhere and a confirmation of exit when you back out are two different things.  What was it you were actually asking for?

kjacques1

Just following the Hdhome run app backing out brings a prompt saying are you sure you want to close. I'd be good with that.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Okay, that that is very different from your original request and will actually make the current issue you are having worse rather than better.

Anyway, hopefully, the next release will alleviate the issue with the app crashing coming out of sleep mode.

Your situation is different. It sounds like we simply cannot contact your server.

Well, up until about six weeks ago (possibly a little more) this was not an issue. I don't know how to proceed.

CBers

I'm not sure this is an app issue.

I have a Fire TV, a Nexus Player and 2 Shield TV's and backing out to the device home screen never gives me an issue.

All devices are either put to sleep, or time themselves to sleep and the app always opens without issue afterwards.

Just wanted to add my thoughts.

Okay, that that is very different from your original request and will actually make the current issue you are having worse rather than better.

Anyway, hopefully, the next release will alleviate the issue with the app crashing coming out of sleep mode.

Is there an ETA?  I don't follow when my FireTV does app updates, but I want to make sure I test the new version.

CBers

Is there an ETA? I don't follow when my FireTV does app updates, but I want to make sure I test the new version.

Normally with a couple of hours of ebr submitting the update.

You can try and force the update by going to settings, account and refresh my account.

The next release has not be submitted to the general public yet.

CBers - I have never been able to reproduce this issue either so there is something common to the folks that have the problem that I'm not aware of.

• Like 1

CBers

I have never been able to reproduce this issue either so there is something common to the folks that have the problem that I'm not aware of.

Just had this happen.

My wife left the app running, sitting on a TV episode details page, then went out for a few hours.

I got home, saw the status so closed the app and re-opened it but the app froze and displayed volley timeout errors, so I had to Force Stop the app.

• Like 1