Animated Movie Poster

Blueeyiz702

On 20/06/2022 at 03:00, CharlieRoket said:

Hello

I hope everyone is having a great day if not maybe this will make it better. I have gotten the animated movie posters too work 100% in emby. I'm talking about no more back loading gifs in a folder. You can upload them straight to emby just like you would a normal image. Now before anyone gets to excited there is always a downside. I have tested these on Roku, Amazon, Xbox, and Window emby app and they don't work (if I find a way i will update with what i come up with). With that been said they will work on mobile web, desktop web (So far on all browsers). and mobile app. Now let's get down to how they work. You will need to use apng( animated png) but if you upload it then it still will not work. Why is that you ask? because emby will resize it and save it as a png. Now read carefully because this next part is important. go to the website ezgif.com you will then see a tab at the top that says apng. Once you click that it will take you to a page where you can upload a gif, apng or anything you like. once its upload convert it to an apng then click resize and type in 200 in width  don't worry about height it should put you at 40 percent. Then click resize and then save it. You can now upload it to emby just like any other png. i found 200 to be the sweet  because it will show up on the front page and the info page but you can mess with it and see what works for you.

Let me know if you still need help and I will try to explain it better.  Also if you still have trouble uninstall cover arts plugin

Nice Thank you for this Info it helped greatly, I can confirm that it does indeed work as ive just uploaded an mp4 clip and followed the above instructions.
now it's my turn to contribute back to this community with some helpful info.
so, I got this to work on the Web Version of Emby (Just follow @CharlieRoket instructions to the tee and you will be fine.
it also works on iPad/iPhone but not Apple TV
it didn't work on the Android TV version of Emby on My Shield but did work on Emby for Android on my shield, it basically works on all versions of Emby for android but doesn't work for the Android TV Version, including Bluestacks, formula boxes etc
doesn't work on Emby Theatre/smart TV app
Hope this helps everyone pimp their libraries out lol

CharlieRoket
10 hours ago, gtxr25 said:

Nice Thank you for this Info it helped greatly, I can confirm that it does indeed work as ive just uploaded an mp4 clip and followed the above instructions.
now it's my turn to contribute back to this community with some helpful info.
so, I got this to work on the Web Version of Emby (Just follow @CharlieRoket instructions to the tee and you will be fine.
it also works on iPad/iPhone but not Apple TV
it didn't work on the Android TV version of Emby on My Shield but did work on Emby for Android on my shield, it basically works on all versions of Emby for android but doesn't work for the Android TV Version, including Bluestacks, formula boxes etc
doesn't work on Emby Theatre/smart TV app
Hope this helps everyone pimp their libraries out lol

Glad it works for you and thanks for verifying the stuff I couldn't check.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
samsung2100

Used these years ago back when everyone ran kodi, connect to emby from kodi and they all work fine, can't go down the kodi road again. If it ever works on googleTV or firestick I will use them.

Guest Brett_Dean
On 6/20/2022 at 10:00 AM, CharlieRoket said:

Hello

I hope everyone is having a great day if not maybe this will make it better. I have gotten the animated movie posters too work 100% in emby. I'm talking about no more back loading gifs in a folder. You can upload them straight to emby just like you would a normal image. Now before anyone gets to excited there is always a downside. I have tested these on Roku, Amazon, Xbox, and Window emby app and they don't work (if I find a way i will update with what i come up with). With that been said they will work on mobile web, desktop web (So far on all browsers). and mobile app. Now let's get down to how they work. You will need to use apng( animated png) but if you upload it then it still will not work. Why is that you ask? because emby will resize it and save it as a png. Now read carefully because this next part is important. go to the website ezgif.com you will then see a tab at the top that says apng. Once you click that it will take you to a page where you can upload a gif, apng or anything you like. once its upload convert it to an apng then click resize and type in 200 in width  don't worry about height it should put you at 40 percent. Then click resize and then save it. You can now upload it to emby just like any other png. i found 200 to be the sweet  because it will show up on the front page and the info page but you can mess with it and see what works for you.

Let me know if you still need help and I will try to explain it better.  Also if you still have trouble uninstall cover arts plugin

Awesome!

Thanks bro!!!🥰

Edited by Brett_Dean
spelling

• 3 months later...
CharlieRoket
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Animated gif support in Emby Server 4.8:

When will 4.8 be released? FYI  I already have it working in 4.7  on detail screen.

• Thanks 1

Happy2Play
2 hours ago, CharlieRoket said:

When will 4.8 be released? FYI  I already have it working in 4.7  on detail screen.

Well that is impossible to say as we have no idea how well the next beta will play (we have some per testing but impossible to cover everyone's setups).  But next beta will be any day now.

SeanM

What is the naming convention with animated gifs in Emby on 4.8?  

poster-animated.gif? 

Can you have a poster.jpg as the main poster, and a poster.gif JUST for the detail screen?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, SeanM said:

What is the naming convention with animated gifs in Emby on 4.8?  

poster-animated.gif? 

Can you have a poster.jpg as the main poster, and a poster.gif JUST for the detail screen?

Thanks.

No, there isn't a new image type created, so you just have to have the one poster be an animated gif.

SeanM
1 hour ago, Luke said:

No, there isn't a new image type created, so you just have to have the one poster be an animated gif.

What frame of the GIF will be used for the still shot?  Many animated gifs, the 1st frames are not really useful or appropriate as a still image.  I would really like to see the option for a separate still image if possible, to eliminate that issue. 

Edited by SeanM

33 minutes ago, SeanM said:

What frame of the GIF will be used for the still shot?  Many animated gifs, the 1st frames are not really useful or appropriate as a still image.  I would really like to see the option for a separate still image if possible, to eliminate that issue. 

I honestly don't know. We have three different image processing libraries depending on the platform being used, and I don't know which frame any of them grab. The first one is probably a good bet.

Creating a new image type for this could be a possibility. I hadn't thought of that, but now that the idea has been brought up, there are reasons why it might make sense.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
grimevil
On 24/03/2023 at 21:55, Luke said:

I honestly don't know. We have three different image processing libraries depending on the platform being used, and I don't know which frame any of them grab. The first one is probably a good bet.

Creating a new image type for this could be a possibility. I hadn't thought of that, but now that the idea has been brought up, there are reasons why it might make sense.

@LukeI think that would work better for me and maybe everyone else.

Default is

poster.*

Then if you have an animated poster

ani-poster.*

This way, every other screen should use the set poster.* and the details can then use the an-poster.* instead if you have one.

It would then stop the use of the first frame for the poster, which can cause issues?

2 hours ago, grimevil said:

@LukeI think that would work better for me and maybe everyone else.

Default is

poster.*

Then if you have an animated poster

ani-poster.*

This way, every other screen should use the set poster.* and the details can then use the an-poster.* instead if you have one.

It would then stop the use of the first frame for the poster, which can cause issues?

Hi, yes it seems to make sense.

• Like 1

Felony
On 4/16/2023 at 10:34 AM, Luke said:

Hi, yes it seems to make sense.

Luke, its Blueeyiz702, danny laferla. some how i am not able to log into my account like before. Is there anything you can do to fix it.

Edited by Felony

Blueeyiz702
31 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Im in, i found the email password i used in some old papers so i am back in, yeah