Live TV – Set channel to record based on time

taylorbourne

taylorbourne

A couple of my channels are often missing guide data, also live sporting events have channels that are added to the lineup without any guide data. I think it would be useful to select a channel name, and schedule a block of time for it to record. That way, even channels with missing or no guide data can be recorded when the user knows the content is there.

• Like 12

• 1 year later...
sfatula

I would add on, maybe not just by time..... Here's another use case which I use in MythTV.....

Say I want to record all shows with the word football in it. There are also series where they have follow on specials after the season ends that don't have the same name. By allowing keyword searches in a manual timer, you can get all those without having to search each day or week for new stuff.

Or.....

Say it's summer and you know your favorite show comes on in January. You of course know the name, but, you want to schedule it now while you are thinking about it, but, it's not in the guide. Or, perhaps they are teasing you with a preview of an upcoming new show and you want to remember to record it. 

Just some thoughts based on my use of MythTV manual "timers". 

Edited by sfatula

Yes, recording by keyword is also on our list.  However, doing that really requires that we have proper conflict reporting and management first.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Could a first step (and easier implementation) be to:

1) scan the EPG for the user-entered keywords.

2) when a keyword is triggered, notify the user (app pop-up or email) that it has found it in the EPG.

3) If possible, show the EPG entry

4) The user then "presses" record, and it's added to the recording list as every other scheduled recording?

• 1 year later...

Any status updates or sense of release dates on these 2 features (conflict management and keyword search)?

Wife asked me today how she could record based on a keyword search (something I think that we had way back in the ShowStopper / ReplayTV days). I also seem to remember being able to prioritize recordings in the WMC days too.

Edited by dbkyle

• 1 year later...
Netfool

This would have been a great addition for Emby users in the U.S. this year.  The combination of the election season and the pandemic means that there are lots of last minute schedule changes.  The Emby Guide data for OTA TV is also very unreliable for some channels (e.g. KGW, the NBC affiliate in Portland OR).  The only way to actually record some programs is to record and entire morning or afternoon and sort it out afterwards.   I suspect that's more the fault of the station than the guide, but the net effect on the user is still missed programs.

We don't know when the next pandemic will hit (nor when this one will end), but the original feature request from @taylorbourne has been here since the last presidential election cycle in 2016.  It would be nice to have the fix in place in time for the 2022 mid-terms.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Revenent

Agreed, I want to record the inauguration this year, and the coverage would pretty much be a 24+-hour recording.  I'm currently cheating and using the "end recording after" setting with a ridiculous value (1620 minutes, or 27 hours).  Hopefully that works.

• 1 year later...