FR: Download Subtitles during playback

NullMind

NullMind

Personally my only reason to still use Kodi with the Emby plugin and not the Emby App is the lack of the ability to select "download subtitle" during playback.

This is a killer feature in Kodi, and I hope you guys can consider bringing it to Emby, I do have my Admin area set to automatically download subtitles, but many times (even so I have the option to only download exact matches) the subtitle is not the right one to the video file version, and the ability to just download a new subtitle on the fly is very welcome.

Hope you guys can consider this

Null

• Like 20

• 1 year later...
Garbonzo17

It has auto download, but not on playback.

I would just like to change from 3 letter language extension to 2 (or better set Kodi to 3 from 2).

Older versions (14 and prior i think) would allow, but since its built in and neither allow changing, i end up in this situation.

I use emby as a back end for organizing, and Kodi for players in my house.

Often emby will get wrong sub, and i download the correct from the interface in Kodi.

Then if my 88yr old grandfather watches from his place (Roku connected to my server) he texts me saying the subs are wrong ep or out of sync... I've explained how to toggle, but lets face it... An 88yr old using emby on roku is already a bit of a fringe event.

Anyway, I'd think the 3 digit is more standard, but nobody over at Kodi wants to entertain the idea of changing it.

So if there's anything I can change in a file that anyone knows of that will let me switch either emby or Kodi I'd be happy...

Thanks in advance. I'll try to find an appropriate please to post my database question that I have.

-G

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

downloading during playback is a great idea for the future. thanks !

• 4 weeks later...
Garbonzo17

I get there is nowhere to change this in the interface, but is there anything I can edit to force emby to 2 letter language suffix instead of 3?

Kodi used to allow you to do this v15 I think, but since Jarvis its hard coded to 2, and that's where I cause problems for others in my family that use the Emby apps instead of Kodi like me.

Without getting overly confusing, Kodi will play 3 letter (eng) but use 2 (en) first if present. So if I watch something emby has downloaded subs for, they work. However if I realize they're out of sync I used the inline subtitle download plug-in and Kodi to get the subtitles... It then has created a new file with the two letter version. Which one I playback through Kodi is the new default, but the rest of my family will still get two three letter when playing it through their emby app on their device. So having both programs use one suffix would save me from having to remember which episodes I've corrected them on the Fly and have to go rename them and delete the incorrect one... It would just be nice if one would overwrite the other. I wish I could change it at the Kodi end because that would be the simplest since I'm the only person in the family using it. Yet, I've asked several people and they say its no longer user addressable its compiled in the binary. I guess theoretically if I knew how I could edit the source and compile it myself, but that seems like a lot of unnecessary work also. So I thought I'd ask here too.

Thanks in advance,

-g

I will probably just change it to save with the two letter convention seeing as that seems to be more common.

Garbonzo17

Well that would solve everything for me, but might anger others (?). Is there no way for me to edit a file somewhere? I would hate for you to change it and create issues for other folks. Anyway, since Kodi changed it I have been seeing a trend on subtitle sites of it leaning more to 2 rather than 3... 

Thanks again.

We don't currently have a setting for this, but it's possible for the future. thanks.

Garbonzo17

yeah, I knew there was no setting, I was more talking about something in a file I could edit somewhere.. anyway, I have been dealing with it for a couple of years. I can wait.

Garbonzo17

Geez, ignore the request I was making to go with the 2 letter method... apparently Kodi Leia 64-bit uses 3 letters just like Emby, so although subtitle implementation is a little quirky still in the 64-bit version, it at least over rights incorrect subtitles when I download them over top of whatever emby may have already downloaded.

I'm still only in my first day of testing on this platform, we've been going back and forth in a message concerning Auto organizing as I was migrating to a new server implementation yesterday as well (I was the guy complaining about duplicate entries and the auto organize section). Anyway thanks for entertaining the switch, and I still think it would be useful, maybe as an 'show advanced' section, to be able to toggle a 2 or 3 letter suffix and maybe even the full word, I know some people like that as well (like .en .eng or .english).

-g

• Like 1

Garbonzo17

Man. You responded too fast (bet you don't get that alot, as it's not a complaint).

Turns out what was happening is the new machine didn't have write permission to my Emby share, so when I was testing I'd manually delete the subs on the server, then goto client machine and download within Kodi... while downloading the subs they cached and displayed in Kodi, then by the time I looked in the folders on my Emby share, my Emby server had downloaded the subs, and that's where I was seeing the 3 chr suffix.. Once I enabled write permission I found it still does 2chrs, which makes total sense cuz I don't know why they would alter course. Anyway I came here to edit / delete my post and realized you had already commented. Sorry for any confusion.

abescalamis

I will probably just change it to save with the two letter convention seeing as that seems to be more common.

I have an automated setup, and was a little of a challenge because some programs use the 2 letter subtitle format and emby uses the 3 letter format. 

Kodi uses 2 letter format, Emby uses 3 letter format, Subliminal Tool (subtitle dowloader program) uses 2 letter format, fileboot can use 3 or 2 letter format.

I made a suggestion to add to the subtitle options a selection for using 2 or 3 letter subtitle format, emby already suported so it would just need to add a selction.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
schmitty

Like the original post, so the Emby team can accurately gauge popularity for this feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Addic7ed is now in the Emby plugin catalog. You'll need to configure your Addic7ed credentials in the plugin configuration. Enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...
trekker25

nice i needed that for playback on iPad/ iPhone.

EDIT

is there an option now to download subtitles while playing a video on iPad / iPhone? Same as Kodi?

Edited by trekker25

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still pretty new so please let me know if this kind of post is wanted or even useful? I would just like to add a +1 for this feature.

• Like 1

I'm still pretty new so please let me know if this kind of post is wanted or even useful? I would just like to add a +1 for this feature.

Hi, yes it is, thanks  for the feedback !

• Like 1