FR: random/shuffle next up

b0dyr0ck2006

b0dyr0ck2006

I'm sure this has been mentioned before but I think a really good option would be to have a shuffle play next up on tv series. Much like how lazytv works on kodi:

You have a huge library of TV shows and you havent viewed half of it. So why does it feel like such a chore to sit down and watch something?
LazyTV is here to free you from your battles with indecision, instead letting you lean back and soak up content. With one click you can be channel-surfing your own library, or have what you probably want to watch pop up in a single window.
Afterall, you know you want to watch TV, so why do you also have to decide what specifically to watch?

Unlike a smart playlist or skin widget, LazyTV doesnt just provide the first unwatched episode of a TV show. It provides the first unwatched episode AFTER the last watched one in your library. A small, but important, distinction.

LazyTV offers two main functions:
The first creates and launches a randomised playlist of the TV episodes. And not just any episodes, but the next episode it thinks you would want to watch. You also have the option to blend in your movies (both the watched and the unwatched) to complete the channel-surfing experience.
The second main function populates a window with the next available episode for each of your TV Shows. One click and your viewing menu is there, immediately.
This would make an evening of watching pre recorded shows more fluid as I find I end up stuck choosing what to watch
  • Like 5

Happy2Play

The Roku already sort of does this if you select play on the main menu.  But it isn't really random, it plays them in the order they are presented.

• Like 1

b0dyr0ck2006

It just seems to be such an obvious function that is missing, there is shuffle play on series which only makes sense on a few styles of shows (in my mind) so must be an option that could be added

The blue neon roku app can shuffle them in continuous play. You can press play on any row(even recorded tv), enter continuous play and then shuffle all items in that row. The continuous play can be done from an episode in a row and play randomly episodes from that entire series that episode was from.

For example, when in the movie library, choose genres on your movies.. maybe action.. now wait for all items in the row to populate listing all the action movies. Now press play on the row to enter continuous play. From here choose shuffle. You have a random queue of action movies playing. It will even insert trailers and such before each movie if you have cinema mode enabled. So its possible to replicate "random" binge movie night and keep that theatrical feel with a roku in as little as 4-5 button presses.

Which apps do you desire this functionality? How would you suggest it be accomplished? Keep in mind, TV based apps should minimize button presses to keep it fast and user friendly to do.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

b0dyr0ck2006

Which apps do you desire this functionality? How would you suggest it be accomplished?

For me it would be web, iOS, tvOS and theatre.

All that would be required is next to the title 'Next Up' is a green button that says 'shuffle play'. This would keep button presses down to a minimum and the screen estate clear, it would be self explanatory and achieve a simple but needed goal.

It good to know that you have implemented this into your roku build. Nice one mate.

Hopefully, it will be completely optional.

It would be a button or menu option you would have to select...

Koleckai Silvestri

Hopefully on the "Three Dot" menu and not the Play button. When I click Play, I just want that item to play and not be given choices. I wish we could force it to always Resume if the item is partially played instead of asking "From the start or resume."

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

b0dyr0ck2006

This happens on individual items already: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/39467-webclient-play-shuffle/

Click on a single episode from Next Up and click Play in the resulting screen. You get a popup asking if you want to play or shuffle the one item in the list.

I've never come across this on web, theatre, iOS or tvOS. Perhaps it's a setting you've turned on?

• 2 years later...
b0dyr0ck2006

Bump.

Are we any closer to getting shuffle next up tv?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

b0dyr0ck2006

It's a good idea for the future. Thanks.

You said exactly the same thing 3 years ago Luke...

As a fellow user I agree with this feature request, so that is why I said that.

b0dyr0ck2006

You are also the lead developer/owner of Emby Luke. When you say ‘a good idea for the future’ your customers assume you have added it to your roadmap.

Perhaps to stop confusion you might consider not replying to posts and just thumbs up/like the first post?

b0dyr0ck2006

Haha haha. This guy makes me chuckle

• 1 month later...

Yes I think it's a nice idea. The next up screen in the web app has a play all button, so shuffle could be added right next to it.

• Like 1

skidmarks

The whole shuffle thing is awesome. Suggest that what ever is played the next episode in the series does not display in the up next cue after said random selection.

• Like 1