Cannot see chromecast from Chrome

davidruzicka

davidruzicka

Hi,

I am out of ideas.

I can cast to my chromecast from the Emby mobile app, either from ipad or iphone.

On PC and Mac, in Google Chrome (updated and it is not a dev version) the chromecast doesn't show up in the list of devices.

On the same PC or Mac, I can cast to my chromecast from youtube or any castable website. In the Chrome's menu I can cast to my chromecast, but notbfrom within Emby web app.

I am not using a VPN. My server is not located on the local network, I access it through internet usual port.

Suggestions much welcome as I am new in the Chromecast world.

Cheers.

Koleckai Silvestri

Do you have the Google Cast extension installed?

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

davidruzicka

Discovered that if I hit the Cast option in Chrome's menu then the cast button in Emby becomes green and next to it appears my chromecast and it works.

So do we need to go through the Cast menu in Chrome?

When you click chromecast in emby, the Google cast menu opens. That is a Google menu and we have no control over what devices it displays. If chromecast doesn't show up at all, it's because the cast sdk told us that you don't have any chromecast devices.

Why there would be a discrepancy with the browser feature I am not exactly sure. I've never seen that before.

• 3 years later...
EbbandFlow

I'm still confused on this though.  If I had a Google Chromecast Audio unit connected up to an external speaker, I can access it from the Chrome browser, via the menu's Cast.  However, in Emby's Chromecast, it doesn't show up.  What's the disconnect?

The browser cast menu is not the same thing.

In order for Chromecast to show up you need to be using the web app on either localhost or https. Are you doing that?

EbbandFlow

Yes, via http://192.168.1.97:8181/emby/web/index.html (hosted on my NAS, accessed via my iMac's Chrome browser)

The Chromecast icon is available in the Emby web app.  My Android TV, Sonos One unit, iPhone and receiver DLNA all show up in there.  

What does NOT show up in there is access to my Google Chromecast Speaker group setup in Google Home.  I can only access those via the browser cast menu (which you mention not being the same thing - I get that, just pointing out that it's listed there and not in the Emby web app's Chromecast list)

Edited by EbbandFlow

Right, you need to setup SSL under Network settings in order to use https. Chromecast for web apps requires a secure context, so it has to be one of those two. So that means your best options for Chromecast will be either our Android mobile app, or our iOS app.

EbbandFlow

Thanks for the valuable feedback.  I'll continue toying around with the iOS route but it'd be much better to navigate from my 27" iMac rather than an iPhone or whipping out an iPad.  
I'll look into the SSL settings.  When you're talking about SSL/Network Settings, are you referring to on the NAS side or on the iMac which I'm using to access Emby via the web app?  

Thanks again

EbbandFlow

Interesting.... my NAS has port 5443 open for https.  I switched my URL to https://192.168.1.97:5443/ and was able to get through to the page by accepting Chrome's warning.   The Emby web app pulls up on this port AND Chromecast appears in the web app's Chromecast list!  Funny because then selecting it actually pulls up the exact same "Cast" menu from the Chrome cast menu  ;)  

However, this URL still comes listed as "Not Secure"  :( 

So, that appears to work in the same way as if I used the non-secure 8181port and select Cast through Chrome's cast tab option.

EbbandFlow

Thanks so much, Luke - I'll be trying that aspect tomorrow!  
Question: do I "need" that SSL cert or can I just use the 5443 dedicated-https port and not have to worry since it's internal IP's anyhow?  

You need a certificate to use https, and in this case, it also needs to be one that Chromecast will trust.

• 3 weeks later...
Wavecrest

Okay, so how do I create a security certificate that will allow me to cast from a web browser to Chromecast audio? Are there instructions to follow somewhere? I don't really know anything about this stuff.

This all seems needlessly complex and I don't really get why it's necessary when other web apps cast to the same device just fine. I'll jump through the hoop if I have to I guess, but I need step-by-step instructions. Any help?

Okay, so how do I create a security certificate that will allow me to cast from a web browser to Chromecast audio? Are there instructions to follow somewhere? I don't really know anything about this stuff.

This all seems needlessly complex and I don't really get why it's necessary when other web apps cast to the same device just fine. I'll jump through the hoop if I have to I guess, but I need step-by-step instructions. Any help?

Are you running the web app on the local server machine? If yes then you don't have to.

By other apps if you're referring to something like the youtube or netflix website, they're not serving media from your home computer so it's not really an equivalent comparison.

Wavecrest

Are you running the web app on the local server machine?

No. My server is a desktop, I'm trying to cast from a laptop (both Windows 10).

By other apps if you're referring to something like the youtube or netflix website, they're not serving media from your home computer so it's not really an equivalent comparison.

Before I switched over from Plex, I was able to cast content on the same server from my laptop to Chromecast.

I found this thread. Seems pretty technical, and there is a cost involved. Is there really no other solution?

Edited by Wavecrest

No. My server is a desktop, I'm trying to cast from a laptop (both Windows 10).

Before I switched over from Plex, I was able to cast content on the same server from my laptop to Chromecast.

I found this thread. Seems pretty technical, and there is a cost involved. Is there really no other solution?

If you want to cast from another device using the web app then yes you will need SSL. You can avoid that requirement by using our android or iOS app.

Wavecrest

What's the reason for requiring the user to create their own SSL for the web app?

I do use both the Android and iOS apps, but the web client has a much better interface for editing libraries, creating playlists, etc. It would be nice to be able to sit in front of my wifi speakers and work on my playlists. It seems like pretty basic functionality that should be accessible without requiring non-experts to figure out how to use things like PFX files, reverse proxies, and pay for a subscription to a separate service.

I'm sorry if this is coming off as whiny, but it's really pretty inconvenient and other home media server clients seem to pull it off without making their users perform any overly technical operations. Is there any plan to implement features that would make this any more convenient?

Edited by Wavecrest

What's the reason for requiring the user to create their own SSL for the web app?

Chromecast requires a secure context. It's not an Emby requirement. Secure context means either running the web app on localhost, using https, or using the native android or iOS app.

I do use both the Android and iOS apps, but the web client has a much better interface for editing libraries

Are you sure about this? They have the same user interface.

Wavecrest

Yes, it's not a matter of the interface as much as it is the ease of things like typing versus swiping, using multiple tabs, screen real estate, etc. Workflow is generally faster on a PC versus a phone on any given app in my experience.

So no plans to make this "just work"? IMO the whole point of casting media from one device to another is to not have to go through a circuitous process. It would literally be easier for me to manually edit m3u8 files than to jump through the hoops necessary to use Emby to add a track to my playlist with my laptop while listening to it on my wifi speakers.