Volume leveling in Theater

Guest asrequested

Guest asrequested

Playing music in ET is much louder than TV or movies. It would be great if there were a volume leveling option, so I don't scare the crap out of myself when I play music after watching a movie :)

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

If you are bitstreaming the audio with your movies then ET is not controlling that volume at all.

That's a good point. But I have a lot that are AAC. It would be nice to level those with music, and have it adjustable

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

If all PCM tracks were leveled, we could use the volume slider to match the volume of the movies. That way everything will be pretty close. I'm sure my buddy Babgvant could easily implement this ;)

Guest asrequested

Well, my request won't work for me, anyway. Everything bitstreams because I have AC3 encoding enabled. I may just have to bite the bullet and spend a lot of time converting my files  :(

Guest asrequested

If you are bitstreaming the audio with your movies then ET is not controlling that volume at all.

Hold on, I just realized what you mean. With HDMI bitstreaming enabled, regardless of what you play (music or video), the volume slider has no function. Well that sucks! It really can't stay this way. The volume of music is much louder. There has to be some way to compensate. If that means separating the music controls from the movies, then that needs to happen. Nobody listens to music the same way they listen to movies or tv. My request has changed. The music player needs to be separated. If I disable AC3 encoding, the music is played back in stereo, it doesn't even adhere to the speaker configuration that we choose in the settings. The music player needs it's own set of filters. LAV isn't designed for music. I'm amazed that I haven't figured this out, sooner.

• 2 weeks later...
Jack Burton

Playing music in ET is much louder than TV or movies. It would be great if there were a volume leveling option, so I don't scare the crap out of myself when I play music after watching a movie :)

I assume since you're using ET you're on Windows. Can you just select loudness equalization in your Windows volume options? Keeps everything at the same level for me (movies/shows from different sources, etc)

I assume since you're using ET you're on Windows. Can you just select loudness equalization in your Windows volume options? Keeps everything at the same level for me (movies/shows from different sources, etc)

Even if bitstreaming to a receiver?

Guest asrequested

It's not just the volume. I have 9 speakers, and music plays through 2. LAV can't fill the other speakers with sound. This should be a relatively easy fix. I have windows setup that it will output to all speakers, equally. All you'd really need to do, is separate the music playback to use the windows media platform, add a volume normalization setting, and hey presto! 

Edited by Doofus