Emby vs Plex: Which is Better?

RypeDub

#firstpost

Eyyy, came across this site when looking for the Samsung Developer account because I was too lazy to type Nicholas.L.Aranda@.com with a remote control (too lazy to get up, unplug my keyboard from my laptop under my tv & connect it to my TV: I'm fricken lazy guys) and I wanted to play Solitaire.

After I realized what I was looking at I decided to make my account here and discuss what is better about Emby or if it even is better.

I have a 4K TV, is this app rendered/coded in 4K/UHD? Right there would make it better! Plex is a 1080p app that actually runs in 1080p format as well, not even upscaled. When you run the Plex app the source says its 1080p :/ I Ike Netflix and Amazon Prime Video since they are actually running in 4K/UHD.

And lastly: I want to get Emby on my UN55HU6830 but the standard install instructions don't work. After logging in with the develop account and long pressing on any app, there isn't any option to enter an IP.

Do I need to do something in the service menu? I hope not, my IR Blaster is in Petaluma and I'm down in the East Bay. If so, can you update the install guide lol

LASTLY LASTLY: I assume Emby has a server program for Windows like Plex right?

Logos302

before setting up the client(s) I would set up the server (which answers your last question).  get it running and then the other programs should just find the server no need to enter in IP's.  I've never used the app for a un55hu6830, but that is how the other programs work. As far as I know if your source is 4k then it will play in 4k.

before setting up the client(s) I would set up the server (which answers your last question). get it running and then the other programs should just find the server no need to enter in IP's. I've never used the app for a un55hu6830, but that is how the other programs work. As far as I know if your source is 4k then it will play in 4k.

Wait, is the app in the Samsung TV App Store? Because the tutorial on how to get the app doesn't say to download Emby, it walks you through how to do some developer thing to enable a custom SyncPlus to obtain the app.

If the app is in the Samsung TV App Store on the tv already, then the setup instructions don't need to have anything related to signing into the develop account with password 000000 and changing some IP.

Edited by RypeDub

Guest asrequested

Wait, is the app in the Samsung TV App Store? Because the tutorial on how to get the app doesn't say to download Emby, it walks you through how to do some developer thing to enable a custom SyncPlus to obtain the app.

If the app is in the Samsung TV App Store on the tv already, then the setup instructions don't need to have anything related to signing into the develop account with password 000000 and changing some IP.

I have the app installed on my Samsung tv. You followed this guide? Emby has many apps. Depending on your network bandwidth and which app you use, 4k can be played. Some apps will transcode and others will direct play, again bandwidth is a factor. What is your setup?

Edited by Doofus

I have the app installed on my Samsung tv. You followed this guide? Emby has many apps. Depending on your network bandwidth and which app you use, 4k can be played. Some apps will transcode and others will direct play, again bandwidth is a factor. What is your setup?

I have 150 mbps down and 12 mbps up. My wifi is 600 mbps max so I always get my ISP's provided speed via wifi; I'm also a network engineer and have an ASUS N900 with a modified stock firmware that further optimized ASUS's system.

TL;DR: PC-PC I get about 587 mbps constant. PC-Webz I get my max 150 mbps constant. I should definitely be getting 4K resolution then lol

In the tutorial it says to log in with develop, then long press on ANY app in the My Apps section, for instance Twitter, and it should have an option to change IP:

No, it doesn't. This is where I'm stuck when trying to install Emby on my TV.

And they aren't called Apps if you have to launch Emby to then run the "plugin/channel/addon" which are the more aproperate terms for apps within apps.

If you hold down the enter button, you should see this

580c3b47c75df_IMAG01641.jpg

I do not have the IP Setting on my H series 2014 UHD TV after signing into the develop account and then long pressing on any app.

It's not that I don't understand what to do: I paid $30 and used SammyGO to root my TV: I know how to tinker with it lol

It's that no matter how I follow the guide and ensure I'm logged into the develop account: IP Setting does NOT show up.

I'm on the latest 1106 firmware.

Edited by RypeDub

Guest asrequested

I do not have the IP Setting on my H series 2014 UHD TV after signing into the develop account and then long pressing on any app.

It's not that I don't understand what to do: I paid $30 and used SammyGO to root my TV: I know how to tinker with it lol

It's that no matter how I follow the guide and ensure I'm logged into the develop account: IP Setting does NOT show up.

I'm on the latest 1106 firmware.

Oh! if you're using SammyGO, I don't know how that would affect it. I have a 55" H series, too. I appreciate that you're technologically knowledgeable :)

CBers

@RypeDyb - you haven't stated that you've installed the Emby server software.

Get that installed and setup and then worry about your client apps.

The Samsung Smart TV app for you H Series TV is not available on the app store, as Samsung aren't accepting apps since they released their Tizen OS for their new TV range (J and K Series tvs).

So the only way to get the Emby app on your Orsay OS TV, is to follow the instructions you've found already.

If your TV is rooted (why?), then you may find the options are in a different location, so you will have to figure that out yourself.

Report back once you have your Emby server setup.

Having the sever running on a computer connected to my network isn't going to enable the IP Setting on my TV lol

I DO have Emby running on my computer and the IP Setting STILL doesn't show up guys lol

1.) Press the Samsung Hub Button

2.) Choose Games

3.) Navigate to the lower left corner to log in

4.) Use "develop" for the email and anything for the password

5.) NOW that you are logged into the develop account on Smart Hub, navigate back to My Apps

6.) Long press on any app and now the IP Settings and App Sync options will show up

7.) continue the guide lol

This was the issue. Simply using the Menu --> Smart Hub --> Log In to sign in as develop doesn't hold the log in into the Smart Hub. You need to then or at first step head to the Games section in the Smart Hub and log in as develop that way.

I figured out my own issue and I also proved that having the server set up doesn't make the app magically install on the tv by enabling the IP Settings and App Sync options. Those 2 options were missing before because of what I describe above.

Thank you for trying to help guys.

CBers

No-one said having the server set-up would make the option appear, but you'd need the server set-up to allow the Samsung Smart TV app to access your media :)

Anyway, glad you got it sorted.

Emby seems to not apply my TV's post processing to enable fake 240Hz or Auto Motion Plus

I tried every setting on the server in the configuration. I'm not sure if it's a bug or what but for now I'm sticking with Plex.

I also just am not a fan of the interface. Maybe in a year or so it might be better. I'll be more inclined to try again once the app is approved for the Samsung TV apps store.

CBers

Emby seems to not apply my TV's post processing to enable fake 240Hz or Auto Motion Plus

I tried every setting on the server in the configuration. I'm not sure if it's a bug or what but for now I'm sticking with Plex.

I also just am not a fan of the interface. Maybe in a year or so it might be better. I'll be more inclined to try again once the app is approved for the Samsung TV apps store.

Not sure what you mean by "post processing". Can you elaborate please ??

The app will NEVER get into the Samsung (ORSAY) store for your series of TV, as Samsung have moved on to Tizen.

Also, you are making all of your decisions based on a 3rd-party app.  I understand if that is the one you must use due to your TV but we do have an official app for the newer Samsung platform and many, many other apps for other platforms and devices.