strm files - send watched state to Emby server

horstepipe

horstepipe

Hey

I know Emby Server doesn't support saving watched states and resume points for strm files, so I'm wondering if Emby for Kodi could send that information to server when stopping/finishing a file.

I'm using strm files which point to gdrive with the Kodi GDrive addon, the strm files itself are scraped and provided by Emby server.

Would there be a possibility to accomplish that?

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Yes I've been working on something like that. However, this will only work if the url inside the strm is the one being played. Meaning, if it's another indirect link that ends up playing something else, this won't work, because it's impossible for the add-on to know this is the strm file playing.

• Like 2

horstepipe

Yes I've been working on something like that. However, this will only work if the url inside the strm is the one being played. Meaning, if it's another indirect link that ends up playing something else, this won't work, because it's impossible for the add-on to know this is the strm file playing.

thanks

so guess this wouldn't work with strm files which url inside points to a gdrive file...

Edited by horstepipe

Angelblue05

What is inside the strm? Another plugin path or is it the url to be played?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

horstepipe

What is inside the strm? Another plugin path or is it the url to be played?

Sorry, forgot to answer.

Unfortunately it's another plugin path:

plugin://plugin.video.gdrive/?mode=video&username=.....

Angelblue05

I'll try to think of something. Maybe automatically listen to the next played item and assume it is the correct file for the strm. The only thing is that it's not really possible to know if playback failed, so maybe we'll need to add a timeout?

• Like 1

horstepipe

I'll try to think of something. Maybe automatically listen to the next played item and assume it is the correct file for the strm. The only thing is that it's not really possible to know if playback failed, so maybe we'll need to add a timeout?

sounds good, but the timeout needs to be high enough, because at first

Emby - opening stream

pops up, then

gdrive - opening stream

pops up, so that takes a while until the video starts

maximilianh75

If you could send back info to emby server maybe you can resolve the problem of codec and bitrate 

Strm files not read that kind of data from server, meaby if u can return that solves part of the problem who limits web browser to direct play strm files

Edited by maximilianh75

• 2 weeks later...
horstepipe

are you working on a workaround or did you give up? :-)

Regards

Angelblue05

I've just been busy. We are currently trying to fix any database lock issue we can find. The next step is playback so I'll make sure it's added then. Thanks for your patience :)

• Like 1

horstepipe

I've just been busy. We are currently trying to fix any database lock issue we can find. The next step is playback so I'll make sure it's added then. Thanks for your patience :)

nice, thanks!

I was already wondering what that "database locked fix" means, never had this error.

Angelblue05

Yeah, it's not a widespread issue. It just prevents the addon from operating normally when it does happen.

• Like 1

horstepipe

another question about strm files in Kodi:

When I start e.g. an episode (which is stored as strm in Emby database) kodi switches from recognizing it as the episode it is to simply the file name. So Kodi doesn't know that it is currently playing that episode, which causes in the loss of media information in OSD and the proper operation of the "nextup service notification" addon.

Is this a Kodi or Emby for Kodi related problem?

Edited by horstepipe

Angelblue05

I don't think it's an Emby for Kodi issue, but maybe something can be done about it. Which Kodi version are you using?

Edited by Angelblue05

horstepipe

I don't think it's an Emby for Kodi issue, but maybe something can be done about it. Which Kodi version are you using?

I'm using Kodi 16.1. Do you think the behavior is different on Krypton?

Thank you

horstepipe

Maybe. But there's still a few things to update for Krypton.

okay

I hope you'll find a solution.

I'll be here for testing if you need someone :-)

Best regards

Angelblue05

Heh, well I'll check it out. But honestly, it might simply be the fact that Once the plugin path is read inside the strm, it loses it's association to the database entry. TBD.

horstepipe

Heh, well I'll check it out. But honestly, it might simply be the fact that Once the plugin path is read inside the strm, it loses it's association to the database entry. TBD.

yeah it looks like that, what a pity. Same behavior on Kodi 17 btw.

This is also responsible that the watched state is not being updated.

At least not in Emby, in Kodi the movies are being marked as watched, but in Emby Web GUI not...really strange.

I guess that's because Kodi doesn't really know what it is playing, a sync to Emby doesn't get triggered. But why is the watched state stored correctly in Kodi?

Edited by horstepipe

Angelblue05

No, it's because when Kodi marks it as watched, it doesn't associate it with a database entry. Because of that, the addon is unable to know which emby id to associate to, and simply doesn't trigger anything server side. Might be able to workaround the problem, but as I already said, you'll have to wait a bit :)

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

horstepipe

No, it's because when Kodi marks it as watched, it doesn't associate it with a database entry. Because of that, the addon is unable to know which emby id to associate to, and simply doesn't trigger anything server side. Might be able to workaround the problem, but as I already said, you'll have to wait a bit :)

no problem, didn't want to rush you, just sharing my observations :-)

I really appreciate your support!

• 2 weeks later...
horstepipe

hey,

could you make any progress regarding this, yet? :-)

Best regards

Angelblue05

I have no time to work on the addon as of late. Everything else with more demand is also being delayed right now. Thanks for understanding.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
horstepipe

Hey

Just curious,

Could you already make some progress regarding this? :-)

Best regards