1080p AAC playback problem on Android 5.5 (Crash due to VLC audio Settings?)

xyph

Hi,

I accidentally misposted this in the Android TV forum - apparently it is supposed to be in the android mobile forum. I am SO looking forward to having a functional Emby experience... (after many, many frustrations) and appreciate advice/assistance.

I recently posted a string of problems related to an AsusStor NAS running server. Most were solved by dropping the hope of running Emby on this device. Now I have it running on Windows and have a great experience with android apps and web apps - except on ONE problematic android set top box!

The errors are very repeatable - but I cant grasp what might be the problem.

GOOD: Old Set Top Box (AcRyan Veolo 4k) connected via HDMI to Old HD samsung TV

1. Go to youtube - play random video: Result: Video + sound

2. Go to emby (latest via play store)- play SD PCM video: Result video + sound

3. Still in Emby - play 1080p AAC video: Result video + sound

4. Go back to youtube or any other device and play stuff: Result: video+sound

GOOD: Playback on Galaxy Note 5 emby app (latest via play store)

2. Go to emby - play SD PCM video: Result video + sound

3. Still in Emby - play 1080p AAC video: Result video + sound

4. Go back to youtube or any other device and play stuff: Result: video+sound

BAD: New Set Top Box (AcRyan Veolo 4k+) connected via HDMI to new 4K Samsung TV  UN78HU9000

2. Go to emby - play SD PCM video: Result video + sound

3. Still in Emby - play 1080p AAC video: Result  -

EITHER:  VIDEO plays for 2 secs then CRASH

OR:          VIDEO plays for a while with NO SOUND

4. Go back to youtube or any other app and play stuff: Result: Video but NO SOUND

*** Only way to get sound back is to reboot android box. 

*Tried disconnecting/reconnecting HDMI (incase a handshaking issue) - no effect

*Tried setting sound output to HDMI (vs Auto) in android tv settings - no effect

*Tried playback via Kodi (using Emby plugin) of 1080p+AAC results in video not playing back

Veolo Specs:    working 4k version      problematic 4KPlus version

Processor          1.8Ghz ARM A17            2Ghz ARM A53

Ram                   2GB DDR3                     2GB DDR3

Android              4.4 KitKat                       5.1 Lollipop                    

Resolution         1080p                             2160P@30hz

I tried a factory reset of the box - then fresh install of emby. Same result.

The device techs are willing to help but need something they can reproduce - so playback from my emby server is not an option from their service centre.

NB - when exploring issues with the AsusStor NAS I installed Plex server/app   of this set top box. Plex could stream the same file without issues, and I can view the same files on other emby android apps without issue... so I'm assuming its something Emby App Related... Since other android devices work, I assume it is not likely to be server related.

NEW: It looks like Emby uses VLC to playback videos  - I can REPRODUCE the crash/sound issue in VLC player as well! But in VLC I can SOLVE the problem:

Changing a VLC audio setting however allows everything to playback just FINE in VLC - NO crash, no sound outages.

I Need to change the Audio Output setting from 'AudioTrack' (which crashed or kills all further sound on the device until a reboot) to 'Open SL ES'  (See attached photo of VLC settings)

I cannot find a way to make this change in Emby though - so still playback in Emby effectively kills the device.

I downloaded one of the sample MKV files and I can play back the MKV file (with sound, without crashes) in both of the other media players installed on the device! (Stock, and something else that came preinstalled (MX player if I recall)

NEW:  LOGS Of SERVER and of APP are uploaded - App logs show everything from startup to playing SD file to playing HD AAC file and CRASH.    Server logs contain all sorts of other stuff - but rather than try to filter to save somebody time - and then have no meaningful response because I filtered something important - I am uploading the full days' log up to the above mentioned crash. To be clear - the uploaded logs are of the PROBLEMATIC device/server. If my non-technical descriptions are unclear please use the information in the LOGS to clarify.

Any suggestions or detailed recommendations very welcome.   Its been a few weeks now that I keep trying different combinations of ostensibly supported platforms and run into endless problems. I am about to give up on Emby completely - No home theatre solution should be this difficult to get working :( Especially not something paid. 

Thanks!

X

post-27711-0-49602500-1477020032_thumb.jpg

ServerLog.txt

Android5.5MBApp.log

Edited by xyph

• 3 weeks later...

I would appreciate it if at least the mods replied to this!

I'm a lifetime supporter and TOTALLY regret this purchase.

Worst dontation experience ever....

Hi, thanks for the report. We will have to look at exposing the opensl setting into the app so that you can manually specify that. Be on the lookout for that in an upcoming release. Thanks !

Scott D

I don't know if this will help, but it was a thought that popped up in the back of my mind.

A few years back I was using a WDTV Live box (had several actually).  There was a problem that seemed to plague this device and it all centered around YouTube.  It had similar problems as to what you are describing here in that you could watch your media, then switch to YouTube, then go back to your media and the problems would begin.  The only solution was to (cold) reboot the box.  I don't believe that WD ever got the issue fully resolved, but from what I had gathered was the YouTube app was not releasing the memory properly (completely, or at all).

I may be completely off on the problem, but it was that little bit of knowledge that I thought might make me dangerous.

Good Luck.

P.S.  Don't give up on Emby or the staff.  They are great at responding and helping to resolve issues.

Hey ScottD,

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Worth getting other's input for sure - appreciate your effort.

In my case, I'm unable to play anything in HD - as soon as I do, playback stops and then I am stuck with no sound on the device at all till reboot.  Its definitely got something to do with emby since other players (non VLC) work great and VLC can be configured to work.

Luke - with regard to future updates.... they are not going to be for me - this is my last attempt with Emby - but perhaps you can use your expertise to postulate:

What might this be due to?

Hardware chip?

Shitty old Android Version?

Something else visible from the detailed logs?

If you have a suspicion of the cause - any suggestions of a workaround (other than to be on the lookout - which sadly will lose me as a emby fan and supporter...)

Uninstall something

Install something to test & get to the bottom of WHY there is an issue

Disable some hardware setting

Modify something...

I'd be happy to try something, anything, other than wait indefinitely....

Besides - exposing a switch is NOT a fix - presumably others experiencing the same issue will need some understanding of why they would toggle your newly exposed switch :(

Thanks

Xp

Edited by xyph

Scott D

In your troubleshooting process, you indicate that you go into YouTube, then play Sd, then HD.  At that time the problem begins.

Have you tried a cold boot of the device, play an HD file first to see if there is still issue.  Take the YouTube portion out of the equation.  A second thought is to "Kill All tasks" prior to running a video.  

Also, I'm not very good at reading the log files, but what is the server indicating as the delivery method (Direct Stream, Tanscoding, etc.)?

Looks to me that the only difference is in the Android version and hardware versions.  If things are working on the older boxes, then the problem would not be within Emby.

You're right that exposing a switch is not the greatest fix because many will never discover it. So yes we will certainly want to see if there's a way we can auto detect that it should be applied.

Hi there ScottD,

I really appreciate your effort! Thank you!

In your troubleshooting process, you indicate that you go into YouTube, then play Sd, then HD.  At that time the problem begins.

Its not youtube that is at fault - its just an example of a source of sound and hd video that works before emby - and not after - replace it with anything that can playback anything that makes a sound.... After I use emby to play HD - then the device either crashes (requiring a hard reset) or runs without sound.

Have you tried a cold boot of the device, play an HD file first to see if there is still issue.  Take the YouTube portion out of the equation. 

Yup - as stated in the original post - I can cold boot and play the video in other players, in plex, all without issues. I play it in VLC with the same issue - but in VLC I found a toggle I can use to make it work - I have no idea WHY this makes it work, perhaps there is a misconfiguration elsewhere in the device settings that would avoid the need for the toggle... this was the sort of advice I was hoping to get from the emby team but have been unable to elicit despite multiple efforts.

A second thought is to "Kill All tasks" prior to running a video.

It was a good thought to kill all processes... I tried killing non-android processes running but did not get back any sound till a hard reboot. I did not kill any android processes or services because I don't know what to kill. Not being android developers - people like you and me could probably use some more detailed recommendations as to what to try, no? Maybe from the emby team? 

Also, I'm not very good at reading the log files, but what is the server indicating as the delivery method (Direct Stream, Tanscoding, etc.)?

Great thought about the logs. Like you I am not an expert at reading the logs - and those that are don't seem to be engaging with any further feedback about additional troubleshooting steps...

Finally, I disagree with you - this is definitely an Emby issue...

Looks to me that the only difference is in the Android version and hardware versions.  If things are working on the older boxes, then the problem would not be within Emby.

It might be peculiar to my hardware - but its definitely an emby issue. Other apps work fine on the same fevice playing back the same video content off a thumbdrive, plex happily plays it back off plex media server, emby+server does not - and it takes down the whole system when it tries. Emby should function on multiple devices and fail gracefully - in this case emby does neither where other similar programs do: an emby problem.
I'd be happy to change some settings is the emby team recommended something but it seems my requests are being perceived as feature requests.... The only feature I would really like is a way to get emby working.

All the best,

Xp

Scott D

I feel the frustration.  Believe me, in living with the WDTV Live for many years, and all of its bugs/hacks/fixes/updates to end up with problems that go unanswered is more than I could handle.

If you have any interest in sending me a file that is giving you trouble, I would be happy to try it on my set-up.  Sometimes the only way to put your finger on a problem is to eliminate as many possible traps as possible.

As a comparison of set-up, I am running:

The server on a 64 bit Windows 10 PC.  Nothing beyond what you can get at a Big Box Warehouse Club.

I have several devices that are all working without problems at the moment.

a. MX8 Android OTT (Several - 2 local, 3 remote)

b. Samsung TV (E-Series)

c. Samsung Smartphone

d. Samsung Tablet

e. Roku (Classic)

f. WDTV Live (Yes, there is still a heartbeat in them)

g. iPhone 7 and iPad

h. Xbox One (1 local - 1 Remote)

So as you can see, I have a few different devices I can throw your file at to see if there is any commonality to results.

Also, I did see in another post (don't remember where) but a discussion about Open SL was bein discussed.  It was a fairly recent post if I remember correctly. 

Let me know if I can help you in tracking down the problem.

On the original topic, if you jump on the android open beta, the next beta will attempt to default to OpenSL on supported devices rather than AudioTrack, so please try that. Thanks.