Emby Server shuts down when PC is locked

josuff36

josuff36

Hello:

I'm running Emby Server 3.0.8200.0 on a Windows 7 PC.  Each time I lock my PC (Ctl/Alt/Delete - Lock this computer) Emby shuts down after approx. one hour.  Every Xbox 360 extender that has it loaded loses connectivity to it.  I have to log back into the PC, the Emby logo/load screen pops up, it loads and then everything is fine. 

Note - the PC is set for the hard drive to never go to sleep.

How do I keep Emby running when the PC is locked?  I could leave it unlocked but it's less secure that way.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Joe

This sounds like the computer is actually going to sleep... or, maybe more like the user is being automatically logged out.

Koleckai Silvestri

How do I keep Emby running when the PC is locked?  I could leave it unlocked but it's less secure that way.

Run Emby as a Service. Then it doesn't matter if it is locked or not. Provided the machine isn't asleep and not woken up.

josuff36

Thanks for the info, I'll try it but can you refresh my memory?  It's been so long, I don't remember how to run it as a service...

It would be better to figure out why the user is being logged off and just correct that. You give up automatic updates with the service.

• 1 month later...
josuff36

Anyone have any other ideas?  If I lock my PC, wait maybe two hours and try to get into Emby from an extender, it doesn't see it.  I have to log back into the PC, the Emby load screen pops up, loads and all is good.

If I don't log out/lock the PC, it continues to work.

Joe

Happy2Play

Are you sure the computer isn't going to sleep or hibernating while it is locked since you mention after a specific amount of time?

I think what's happening is he's running the tray icon which naturally will shut down if the windows user logs out.

If you log a user out in Windows, any apps that user had running are shut down.  This would include the server.

If you wish to log the user out, you will need to either use the service or create a user specifically to run the server and keep them logged in.

The default installation on Windows is to run it as a user program. As such, when you log out the program/server stops.

As part of the installation, Emby also configures a Service. It is left in Manual mode.

To get Emby running as a Service, do:

Stop the server

Windows Key, type Services

Open the Services App

Find the Emby Server service.

Double click, configure Startup Type to be Automatic (Delayed Start)

Start the service

Enjoy

I couldn't find this on the Wiki but didn't look too hard.

I am using it this way on Windows Server 2012R2 Essentials. Staying logged in is not an option for a headless server, nor is it generally good security policy on desktops.

Staying logged in is not an option for a headless server,

Why not?  There isn't anything about being headless that precludes users and that actually alleviates part of your security concern (the user can be locked without logging out too)...

I'm not saying running as a service might not be a better option for some people but very few people do.

While it doesn't preclude Users, it does add yet-another-thing to remember to do after power fails or updates or hardware changes. The benefit of a server is that it is just-there. I also have FreeSwitch/FusionPBX, SVN and Git servers there, also as services since not having a phone system after an incident etc is not an option.

For most people none of this matters, for those who have separate server it is a pleasant surprise that Emby provides Service support without hacks (e.g. Kodi and Plex). The cost of Server 2011/2012/2016 is more likely the reason few choose this option.

Regarding the 'lose updates' I have asked for some info on Github for that Issue so that I can take a stab at removing that hurdle.

Edited by gerritv

moviefan

While it doesn't preclude Users, it does add yet-another-thing to remember to do after power fails or updates or hardware changes. The benefit of a server is that it is just-there. I also have FreeSwitch/FusionPBX, SVN and Git servers there, also as services since not having a phone system after an incident etc is not an option.

You can configure an autologin policy so it automatically restarts after any of the above scenarios also.