screenplay for WebOS 2.0 and higher TVs

kwilcox

Hey gm, ok im still trying to get screenplay to work on my LG TV and for the add server part do i put http://emby.media cause i used it and it went to Login Username & Password and it had a test button and it doesn't do anything when i click on user or the test button and do I use the Password i created for this sit or something else.. im kind of confused please help,Thanks.

muppets4

Hey gm, ok im still trying to get screenplay to work on my LG TV and for the add server part do i put http://emby.media cause i used it and it went to Login Username & Password and it had a test button and it doesn't do anything when i click on user or the test button and do I use the Password i created for this sit or something else.. im kind of confused please help,Thanks.

I do not have a lot of expierence with screenplay, but I think it only supports local IP adresses. So find out what your Emby server is running on and put that in screenplay.

kwilcox

Just to re-iterate:  

• screenplay works with your on-premise Emby server.  Enter it's IP address on the server screen to select.
  • screenplay needs a local user on your server that is not hidden and who has a password to authenticate.  Set the user(s) up using the administrative web site on your emby server.  In screenplay, select a displayed user by using left/right buttons or click on it with a magic remote.  When the user is highlighted, press the down button or click with the magic remote to select the password input box.  Then type in the password.  Press the "Enter" key to send the password.

local users are how you define what screenplay displays.  Adjust the libraries they can see and the ratings they are limited to accordingly in the emby administrative web site.  Read post 3 in this thread for more information.

Its looking like I need to do some enhancements here:

• add manual login so hidden users can be authenticated
  • add support for emby Connect
Edited by kwilcox

kwilcox

I suppose that would work too.  Thanks for the info!

Screenplay live TV support work continues.  Here's a shot of an Item screen with series recording enabled:

2v2E1MpC8xQr3s.png

The record button is used to cycle the record selection between episode, series (if available), and no record.  So, click the record button here, and any recording is cancelled.  Click again and episode recording is selected etc..  Speaking of episodes, I have an episode screen to do too.  On the collection screen, only one poster for an item (like Star Trek above) will be shown.  Selecting that will take you to an episode screen that looks identical to screenplay's existing layout. 

Another good addition to the collection screen (everywhere) would be a keyword search input.  So typing stuff in there would narrow displayed collection items to those having what's being typed in as part of their title.

Edited by kwilcox

kwilcox

v1.4.1 passed QA and was released in the LG app store.  It will authenticate with Emby beta server v4.1.x as well as with prior versions.  It also remembers your position on collection screens when you use the back button.  No Live TV though.  These enhancements will be in v1.5.x

• Like 1

dnanielsen

Thanks for making this alternative app, it's pretty good! 

Is it possible to remove the black background behind subtitles? It would also be nice if there was some more subtitles settings, like custom vertical position and font size. I think they are a bit too far down in the picture. And I think I saw that you was working on an option to choose subtitle when there are multiple available? 

And, when using the coverart plugin for TV episodes (TV_thumb.png), it cuts off the episode thumbnails. 

Great work!

kwilcox

More screenplay LiveTV UI (in process) shots.  Items on screenplay collection views aren't duplicated; I've never liked seeing multiple identical thumbnails across the various liveTV views.  Instead, if there is more than one selection available, the number is shown in the item description:

2v2EpdLR5xQr3s.png

Selecting the item will take you to a breakout screen where you can choose the selection you want:

2v2EpdLkjxQr3s.png

kwilcox

I did but there isn't much I can do.  Screenplay depends on the native capabilities of LG's H5 <video> tag implementation for subtitle rendering which doesn't give me much leeway from a style perspective.  You aren't the first to mention this however and I may be able to add multiple subtitle support in a future release.  I might also be able to support Emby server subtitle burn in but that wouldn't work with direct play which features client side skipping. 

I'm also not sure what you are referring to on the coverart plugin.  Got a screenshot?

kwilcox

@Luke: is there any way to direct stream a Live TV source so that client side skipping works?  It doesn't look to me like there is at this point in time.  Any plans to add this capability?

dnanielsen

I did but there isn't much I can do.  Screenplay depends on the native capabilities of LG's H5 <video> tag implementation for subtitle rendering which doesn't give me much leeway from a style perspective.  You aren't the first to mention this however and I may be able to add multiple subtitle support in a future release.  I might also be able to support Emby server subtitle burn in but that wouldn't work with direct play which features client side skipping. 

I'm also not sure what you are referring to on the coverart plugin.  Got a screenshot?

I see, thanks for explaining. 

I have attached two images showing the difference between thumbs in screenplay and webapp/other official apps. I'm guessing it's related to coverart plugin, and maybe because of the indicator overlay in top left for media info resolution? 

post-246418-0-54011100-1550481982_thumb.jpg

post-246418-0-91101600-1550481992_thumb.png

kwilcox

hmmm screenplay isn't auto sizing the images.  Looks like a quick CSS fix.  I'll work it into v1.5

edit:  coverart treatments can run an image outside of the normal aspect ratio, but looks like I can do it with a bit of transparency magic:

2v2Eca3gSxQr3s.png

I'm regression testing this now...

Edited by kwilcox

kwilcox

Quick update: I'm getting pretty close to submitting screenplay for QA.  All that's left is reworking the collection screen logic so it can better handle a very large number of items. 

I would really like to hook up some beta testers with webOS 3 or webOS4 TVs.  The reason is that none of the emulators can handle live streams.  This isn't unusual, m3u8 mime types have never worked on anything other than the WebOS 2 emulator, but even that emulator won't handle client side streams with a m3u8 mime type.  Sooooo, I need some live testing ('cause I'm not about to buy more TVs unless you-all hit the donate button on pg 1 with carefree abandon lol).

So who's up for loading developer mode on your TV and playing with this release?  If I don't get any takers, then I'll release the code and if live streaming doesn't work on your TV then that's a bummer.

kwilcox

go to page 1 of this thread for instructions. Specifically you need to follow instructions for the first two links which show where to get developer software and register so you can use the developer mode app on your TV.

You will install the developer IDE on a PC that can reach your TVs network IP address

Next, you will install the developer mode app on your TV and use your developer credentials to enable dev mode.

Finally you will register that TV in the IDE so you can push code to it.

No need to do any GIT based stuff; I'll provide screenplay.ipk which you can directly send over to your TV once you are up and running.

kwilcox

Getting closer to QA.  I still have to resolve a problem with Series Recording.  Looks like this may be an Emby server bug; items are being returned with series Timer IDs that don't belong to them (same program but different channel and the series was set up to specifically record episodes only on the item's channel).  I'll post details on the beta thread itnf.  The first release probably won't support series recording for this reason.

I was also able to run my server out of disk with a 3+ hr transcode file while I was doing extended testing.  Emby blew up reeeeaaaal good but recovered well from it after I restarted the server.  I will need to kill the stream when the playback position is equal to the show's runtime to prevent this from just running away.  Still, your emby server will need about 5Gb of space per hour of live playback to support liveTv.  So if you wanna watch a football game here in the US, you will need 15GB of available disk. 

Edited by kwilcox

kwilcox

v1.5.0 with live TV support is headed for QA!  Here's a few of the final UI changes:

New Settings option to turn off Poster autosizing.  Turn off autosizing if you are running coverart or some other emby plugin that creates custom artwork.

2v2EfE8iFxQr3s.png

Final record Item page includes new stop button to cancel recordings.  Screenplay v1.5 will give you full control over episode and series recording. 

2v2EfE8kqxQr3s.png

The ever evolving LiveTv Collection Screen.  The UI is centered more around a "What's on now?" Paradigm.  "Today's Shows" lists shows for the next 24 hours.  "Movies" shows everything currently available based on guide data.  "Recordings" lets you easily maintain your series and episode recordings.  Next release will include a "Guide" section.

2v2EfEMpjxQr3s.png

Edited by kwilcox

robmich

This is great!  I've had trouble setting up the Dev system, so I will wait till this releases and let you know how it goes.

Rob

kwilcox

I ran into an issue with recording times last night that I'm digging into.  1 hr program only recorded 33 minutes. 

kwilcox

Problem turned out to be reception related.  A weak signal aborted the compression process as MCEBuddy was creating the MP4 file.  I may end up trying emby's "convert" feature instead but for now, I've turned off the conversion process.