screenplay for WebOS 2.0 and higher TVs

kwilcox

LuckyLukeX

On most screens, the name of any highlighted movie is shown on the lower left.

You're right and there are title, date and duration/runtime...

What do you think of the possibility of allowing the choice between three different font sizes? ^_^ 

Edited by LuckyLukeX

Good question.  App is available in Mexico (8 downloads yesterday) and your TV appears to be compatible.  I've sent the following inquiry to LG:

I have a report from an owner in Mexico that his LG 49LF5900 (FullHD - 1920x1080, WebOS 2) was incompatible with screenplay when he checked on the lgappstv site.  For this reason, he cannot see screenplay in his app store either.  Can you tell me why this is?

I'll let you know what their reply is.

Ok. Thanks, I hope it can be installed.

kwilcox

I just pushed v1.1.7 to the repo... It has subtitle support.  :) Toggle subtitle option in color key settings will toggle the default subtitle on/off.  What exactly "Default" is depends on your emby server settings.  This may work with embedded mkv subtitles as well... I don't have one to test yet.   So, have a go at it and lets hear your thoughts!  Here's what I do know:

• any srt file with "default" as part of the name will be selected when you toggle subtitles on
  • any srt file with your native language as part of the filename will be selected if the movie default language is not yours and you toggle subtitles on

otherwise, "Subtitles not available" will display when you try to toggle subtitles.  Again, this will work with external .srt files and may work with subtitles embedded in a mkv file as well.  Keep in mind that when direct play is On, embedded subtitles in mkv containers are always shown so toggling subtitles On will show two sets...

kwilcox

also.... I may be able to style these which means I can change default size, transparency and color.  I'm looking at this now...

kwilcox

Are u possibly looking into providing an option to change the view to a List View with perhaps smaller posters. Kinda challenging to scroll thru the tiles with hundreds of media around.

Yup.  looking at that.

I just pushed v1.1.7 to the repo... It has subtitle support.   :) Toggle subtitle option in color key settings will toggle the default subtitle on/off.  What exactly "Default" is depends on your emby server settings.  This may work with embedded mkv subtitles as well... I don't have one to test yet.   So, have a go at it and lets hear your thoughts! 

Just tried it with some of my MKVs with embedded subtitles, and I just get "subtitles not available". Still, useful to know that I should be able to get it work reasonably easily by just allowing Emby server to download the SRT files... I'd still much rather have embedded though :-/

kwilcox

For screenplay to see subtitles, the movie's native language needs to be different from the one that you've set for your emby user (in user prefs) and the subtitle file has to be for your native language.  Or, you need to have "Forced" set on the subtitle file in your mkv container.  I'm assuming one or both of these is the case for your observation.  

Another point on downloading subtitle srt files:  Cue times in the SRT file need to match your movie.  This is actually pretty difficult to do and makes finding the right srt file somewhat difficult.  I was actually quite surprised at how much variation there was.  The wrong file will yield subtitles that are out of sync with the movie.  What I ended up doing was using a stopwatch to time the start of the first bit of dialog.  Then, I would download a SRT file and check it against the time, repeating the process until I found one that matched.

Now I'm a newbie here so I'm probably just saying something that everybody who uses subtitles often already knows about...  Looks like the best way to use subtitles with screenplay would be to extract them from the mkv container (since they already match the movie from a cue timing perspective) and store with the movie as an external srt file.  You would want to do this anyway because direct play always shows embedded subtitles

Edited by kwilcox

kwilcox

v1.1.7 with subtitle support has been submitted to LG for QA.  I've also pushed the latest code to the repo.  It'll be about a week or two before they get to it...

kwilcox

v1.1.7 was approved today.  See post 3 for subtitle implementation notes.

Edited by kwilcox

kwilcox

Add "forced" to the .srt filename that is in the same folder as the movie.  "forced" would go in the same place as "default".  See post 3 for details.  Make sure all other requirements described there are followed.  Remember, screenplay will only toggle subtitles that are already selected by emby server.  On your mobile phone or tablet, this means that the subtitles would automatically display without you having to select them.  See post 3 for this also.

EDIT: I found out that subtitles doesn't work with Direct Play. Is it supposed to? They work fine when I disable Direct Play.

I cannot get subtitles to work at all. For all the movies with .srt subtitles, it says that Subtitles arent available and for the ones in mkv I can enable them but they aren't shown.

but nothing works.

I may be misunderstanding something about the User settings. I can't find any user settings for subtitles. Is it a premium feature or something? Exactly where is it supposed to be?

What does this mean exactly:

Remember, screenplay will only toggle subtitles that are already selected by emby server. ???

Edited by djon
  • Like 1

mastrmind11

EDIT: I found out that subtitles doesn't work with Direct Play. Is it supposed to? They work fine when I disable Direct Play.

I cannot get subtitles to work at all. For all the movies with .srt subtitles, it says that Subtitles arent available and for the ones in mkv I can enable them but they aren't shown.

but nothing works.

I may be misunderstanding something about the User settings. I can't find any user settings for subtitles. Is it a premium feature or something? Exactly where is it supposed to be?

Remember, screenplay will only toggle subtitles that are already selected by emby server. ???

You need to enable subtitles on the server side for the user you're trying to have see them.

• Like 1

You need to enable subtitles on the server side for the user you're trying to have see them.

I have to admit, this makes no sense to me. Sure, there's a setting for downloading the subtitles, but that's pretty much all that's under "Subtitles" on the server side.

What other subtitles setting is there?

mastrmind11

I have to admit, this makes no sense to me. Sure, there's a setting for downloading the subtitles, but that's pretty much all that's under "Subtitles" on the server side.

What other subtitles setting is there?

Sorry, forgot where I saw the option.  It's client side on all the Emby apps:  User > Playback > Subtitle Settings, just assumed they were part of Screenplay as well.  Disregard if it's not a feature there.  Sorry for the confusion.

kwilcox

I'll mod post 3.  Using a web browser, you need to log into emby server with the same user that you use with screenplay, then go to user prefs (click user icon on the upper right) and modify playback settings.  screenplay has no server side user preferences; its a playback client only currently.

• Like 1

kwilcox

but nothing works.

Subtitles work with both direct and HLS streaming.  Subtitles embedded inside the mkv cannot be toggled with screenplay.  Extract the srt files from the mkv using a tool such as mkvextract then set playback settings for the screenplay user on emby server accordingly (log into the server with the screenplay user then click the user icon on the upper rigtht).  

Edited by kwilcox

Doh! I really can NEVER remember that you have to click on the user icon to get there...

It particularly confuses me, because you can get to SOME user settings by clicking on users in the left-hand panel. It would make FAR more sense to me if ALL the user settings were accessible through one (or both) routes. Obviously not your issue :-)

kwilcox

I know!   Ideally, it sounds like everybody needs the "toggle subtitles" button to fly in a screen overlay to allow changing these settings as well as manually selecting subtitles.  Based on feedback above, it looks like I need to work on these improvements sooner rather than later as well....  Thanks for the feedback everyone!

<broken record>

I just wish that LG had a public beta capability along the lines of Apple's testflight....

</broken record>

Edited by kwilcox

Thanks, got subtitles working now after the tip about the user icon on the upper right :-)

Any plans for adding a Watched icon for individual TV-Shows episodes and for filtering on Watched/Unwatched TV-shows?

mastrmind11

Is there a time frame for when Collections will be supported?  I have several movie collections of kids stuff that is inaccessible, which basically renders screenplay useless in that room of my house (which is where I need it most).  Thanks for all your effort @@kwilcox!

kwilcox

Definitely plan to support Collections.  FTTB you could create a separate library for kids stuff as a workaround.  Also can use content filtering (maximum allowed parental rating) for the emby user running screenplay on the TV in that room.