screenplay for WebOS 2.0 and higher TVs

kwilcox

It also looks like the WebOS 3.0 soft keyboard will not permit just hitting enter.  Why not make a new user called "screenplay" and give it a password?  You can also choose a custom library configuration.

This user is for my kids so setting a password is a problem. What about when clicking on a user try to auto login with out a password if it fails allow a password to be typed in?

Can you run this on the WebOS 3.0 emulator and post a screenshot of your home screen?  I'd like to see how the buttons look.  The 5 item limit is for items within a collection on the summary screens.  There should be no limit to the number of libraries that can be displayed.

Sure I will do this tonight. I did change the max 5 limit to 10 and that added the settings to the list but you could not navigate to it with the remote arrow keys. Clicking on it with the magic cursor work though.

This is my library setup in Emby.

583bff5a5d1df_emby.png

Edited by Brazer

kwilcox

@@Brazer: screenplay homepage library display increased to 11.  Settings not being displayed bug corrected.  I've pushed the updates to the repo. Thanks for your feedback! 

edit:

I forgot to mention that the password issue is also corrected.  Passwords are now optional.  HItting <Enter> on the soft keyboard will cause screenplay to login the selected user with no password. 

Edited by kwilcox
  • Like 1

kwilcox

@@Brazer: I have another test for you.  Can you change colored button settings on your WebOS3.0 TV without using the mouse?  Here's how it is supposed to work:

• On the screenplay settings screen, move the highlight to the button you wish to modify then press "Ok" on your remote.
  • The highlighted setting should turn Blue and you may get a dropdown list showing all the options.
  • You should then be able to scroll through the options using the up/down keys on your remote.  
  • Hitting "Ok" again should remove the blue highlight and the selected setting should be shown.  

For some reason, on the WebOS3.0 emulator, when a button is selected for modification, it turns blue and a dropdown list with the current selection highlighted in yellow appears, but the up/down arrow keys don't work.  Hitting "Ok" again removes the blue highlight but the dropdown list remains.

Edited by kwilcox

@@Brazer: screenplay homepage library display increased to 11.  Settings not being displayed bug corrected.  I've pushed the updates to the repo. Thanks for your feedback! 

edit:

I forgot to mention that the password issue is also corrected.  Passwords are now optional.  HItting <Enter> on the soft keyboard will cause screenplay to login the selected user with no password. 

Thanks allot. Everything is fixed and working as intended.

@@Brazer: I have another test for you.  Can you change colored button settings on your WebOS3.0 TV without using the mouse?  Here's how it is supposed to work:

• On the screenplay settings screen, move the highlight to the button you wish to modify then press "Ok" on your remote.
  • The highlighted setting should turn Blue and you may get a dropdown list showing all the options.
  • You should then be able to scroll through the options using the up/down keys on your remote.  
  • Hitting "Ok" again should remove the blue highlight and the selected setting should be shown.  

For some reason, on the WebOS3.0 emulator, when a button is selected for modification, it turns blue and a dropdown list with the current selection highlighted in yellow appears, but the up/down arrow keys don't work.  Hitting "Ok" again removes the blue highlight but the dropdown list remains.

Step 1 and 2 works. I get the dropdown.

Step 3: Cannot scroll at all. Even using the wheel. The selected item is highlighted in yellow.

Step 4: Pressing Ok releases control from the selection removing the blue but the dropdown stays on the screen. So basically the same as the emulator.

Using the magic cursor selecting one of the items the dropdown collapses and the selected item is displayed but stays blue. While blue, arrows don't work. Only by pressing Ok again the textbox turns green and arrows respond again. I hope this helps. If you needs screenshots please just say so.

Edited by Brazer

Not that the behaviour on my TV is what I'd call 'normal' :-/ (i.e. no dropdown at all)

Anyway, as someone who has no passwords on the user accounts, I thought I'd try your latest version. There's something not quite right in the way it's handling normal remote controls. If I click on one of the user icons, I then get totally stuck. Back doesn't work, the direction controls don't work... The only way I found I could then get out of that is to dig out my magic remote (it's so long since I've used it I can't even remember if that's what it's called!) - which does allow me to progress.

With the normal control, it seems to be OK as long as I don't try and CLICK on the user icon. If I just highlight it and immediately move down to the password field, it's OK. I just thought that clicking on the icon might completely bypass the need to hit enter on the password field...

Not sure if that's what you see in WebOS 3, or whether it's down to my older version. And no idea why simple things like keyboard input have ended up being so different between versions! :-/

kwilcox

I reproduced it.  Navigation is RFU in general on that screen.  One of my early attempts....  I'll re-write it.

LG was playing around with authentication last night too.... Hope this doesn't cause another reject lol

Edited by kwilcox

kwilcox

Not that the behaviour on my TV is what I'd call 'normal' :-/ (i.e. no dropdown at all)...

Actually the "no dropdown" situation is normal behavior for the select tag on WebOS2.  Makes it very easy to work with too if you don't have a magic remote.  WebOS3 appears to have a bug in that the direction keys don't work when a select tag gets focus.  I'm going to write a quick test app to see if this is the case.

It might be normal for WebOS2, but as I say, it's not what I'd call normal :-)

My TV had an update to Netflix this morning. That totally borked it - won't even run now! I spent hours on live chat to Netflix, but they eventually concluded it was probably a problem with the update. Not sure how that got through both Netflix' own testing AND LG's QA. Maybe they only focus on applications by people they don't know :-/

kwilcox

ouch!

Anyway, I've fixed the navigation issue on the user screen and pushed the changes out to the repo.  Thanks for the bug report!

• Like 1

Yep, looks better :-)

(My WebOS IDE seems to be behaving itself and connecting easily at the moment, so if you need me to find any other bugs ;-)

Interestingly, they fixed Netflix overnight, presumably partly as a result of me reporting the issue - the interesting point being that they were able to turn around an update to an app in the store in only a few hours. Maybe "premium" apps in the store do get a different process? Or maybe updates get an easier time? Who knows...

kwilcox

...while us poor independent developers go to the back of the queue...

Folks, it looks like v1.0.7 is going to be approved!  They rejected screenplay with one defect and it was for the same index search "issue" that was cleared by my video demonstration previously.  I've pointed this out on a 1:1 inquiry and would expect them to accept the app tomorrow :)

I will request QA for 1.0.8 tomorrow as well so we can get direct play capabilities into the QA pipeline.  

Edited by kwilcox
  • Like 4

Direct Play seems to be working well! Do you know if it is possible to have screenplay access MVC decoding for true 3D playback? I've got several 3D movies ripped losslessly with MakeMKV and I'd love to be able to play them in 3D natively without having to resort to re-encoding SBS or TAB.

kwilcox

I really don't know enough about MVC decoding to give you a good answer.  I was under the impression that 3D movies were stored as either side by side, top and bottom or interlaced images.  My LG TV allows me to select which to use and it merges the two images to form polarized 3D.   LG's medaOption parameter extension to the video "type" attribute of the <source> tag allows me to tell the TV in advance which 3D display mode to use, so I was thinking about using arbitrary metadata that emby stores with the movie to indicate which format the movie uses, then retrieve that in screenplay prior to playback and set the value in mediaOptions while building the <source> tag.  So for example I could store 3D display info in the SortName metadata parameter.  

Edited by kwilcox

I spent some time experimenting with different formats for handling 3D, and my memory is a little fuzzy now, because I largely gave up and avoid 3D rips :-/

But I'm pretty sure the way they do it is to essentially have two different video streams, tagged up in a particular way, one for left and one for right. Basically, it's a variant of the mechanism that's used for 'angles'.

I thought Emby only recognises 3D movies based on the filename, anyway? That's certainly been my experience. It might not matter, of course, if DirectPlay is causing Emby to just send the content as is to the TV.

And having said that, I didn't think LG TVs handled the MVC format directly - I vaguely remember trying it on something like a USB key - though I don't know how that works in the context of a Bluray player.

It's an interesting question, though. and I'm tempted to try it again, now that I've got another bit of software in the mix... :-/

Hi @@kwilcox 

​I added a auto-login setting. This will be on by default. Switching it off, screenplay will always ask for a login. This is to aid with parental control. I created a pull request on Github.

Edited by Brazer

kwilcox

Hi @@kwilcox 

​I added a auto-login setting. This will be on by default. Switching it off, screenplay will always ask for a login. This is to aid with parental control. I created a pull request on Github.

I figured that was coming and was actually of the same mindset myself.  Your changes look good so I'll merge them in.  BTW I added South Africa to screenplay service locations when I re-submitted v1.0.7 earlier this morning.

I figured that was coming and was actually of the same mindset myself.  Your changes look good so I'll merge them in.  BTW I added South Africa to screenplay service locations when I re-submitted v1.0.7 earlier this morning.

Thanks allot. Glad my code is good. 

cmarques

Thanks allot. Glad my code is good. 

Glad to see more people involving itself in the project, @@Brazer what more do you do, just code or also design, etc?

Glad to see more people involving itself in the project, @@Brazer what more do you do, just code or also design, etc?

I am a senior C#, WPF developer and team lead. By design do you mean program or UI?  I suck at UI design. I have junior dev's do that for me. But program design I can do. We just completed a massive project which I designed.

cmarques

I am a senior C#, WPF developer and team lead. By design do you mean program or UI?  I suck at UI design. I have junior dev's do that for me. But program design I can do. We just completed a massive project which I designed.

Wow cool, welcome to the team haha  :D
and I meant UI design

kwilcox

I tweaked positioning on the Settings screen a bit and updated the repo btw.  

kwilcox

Finally!  v1.0.7 will be available for general release.  Response from LG 1:1 today:

Dear Seller,

Hello. This is LG Smart TV Seller Lounge.

Your app was approved today. As publishing time for your app is different for each service country and they also have different time zone, you will be able to find the app on TV after 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Seller Lounge Service Team.

• Like 3