screenplay for WebOS 2.0 and higher TVs

kwilcox

kwilcox

This is a bother, I just watched another movie that needed the 1Mb/sec bitrate cap applied to view (video stopped playing at 1:22).  I'm thinking I'm going to bubble direct play to the top of the enhancement list.  I've got a week coming up to play with this :)

This is a bother, I just watched another movie that needed the 1Mb/sec bitrate cap applied to view (video stopped playing at 1:22).  I'm thinking I'm going to bubble direct play to the top of the enhancement list.  I've got a week coming up to play with this :)

This is superb, thumbs up for directplay

cmarques

hey man, this issue seems with that I was experiencing a time ago, but in my case the playback got stuck for some seconds and resumes just after in a cicle, like it was buffering the movie.

kwilcox

That's either bandwidth or processor related.  Check processor utilization during playback to isolate it.  I was experiencing that issue myself until I upgraded my emby server.  

If you experience the HLS issue, playback will always halt at the exact same point of the video and will not resume.  The workaround is to lower the max bitrate to 1Mb/s.  It appears to be an issue with HLS support on WebOS 2.0.  I re-encoded my two videos that had this problem to solve.  Still trying to find the combination that causes it....

Edited by kwilcox

kwilcox

Do you think that LG is ever going to let you release this? Wow.

Absolutely.  Maybe in a week or two!  I'm real close now, especially now that the new video positioning logic is in place.

The real issue here is that there's no way to do large beta test cycles for LG apps due to the lack of a public beta test framework.  This means that the only real in-depth testing that can occur is at their QA facility.  As an example of what a beta framework would look like, Apple has a program called "Test Flight" that permits large beta test environments; essentially you load the testflight app and beta programs you are subscribed to simply appear in the app store.  You can then download and use normally.  When the beta cycle ends, the apps are disabled and you can go to the store to update the approved counterparts as a simple upgrade.

cmarques

That's either bandwidth or processor related.  Check processor utilization during playback to isolate it.  I was experiencing that issue myself until I upgraded my emby server.  

If you experience the HLS issue, playback will always halt at the exact same point of the video and will not resume.  The workaround is to lower the max bitrate to 1Mb/s.  It appears to be an issue with HLS support on WebOS 2.0.  I re-encoded my two videos that had this problem to solve.  Still trying to find the combination that causes it....

In fact I have no a powerfull server like yours :D  but I'm based in what Plex Server needs to go smoothly (I have it on same machine and it's my primary solution till the release of screenplay), at the current machine everything goes fine with Plex, so I think it's enought to Emby also.

I'll check your tip next time I install screemplay.

LuckyLukeX

Revision History

v1.0.5 Initial version sent to LG for release

• Toggle Subtitles not implemented.
  • service areas requested (based on screenplay testers/co-developers): USA, Canada, Brazil, United Kingdom

I hope the LG team will approve the app asap.

Could you also add Italy as a service area?

Sure I will try and use the app if It will be published or present on my the LG Store accessible from my TV.

Thanks a lot, Luke.

kwilcox

Soooo... you guys better hope LG rejects v1.0.7 because I just got direct play working :)

Still working on the settings screen logic to toggle direct play but should have it sorted in time to get something pushed to the repo tomorrow.  

Capture-vi.jpg

Edited by kwilcox

kwilcox

I hope the LG team will approve the app asap.

Could you also add Italy as a service area?

Sure I will try and use the app if It will be published or present on my the LG Store accessible from my TV.

Thanks a lot, Luke.

Will do.

cmarques

Soooo... you guys better hope LG rejects v1.0.7 because I just got direct play working :)

Still working on the settings screen logic to toggle direct play but should have it sorted in time to get something pushed to the repo tomorrow.  

Capture-vi.jpg

Haha you are the guy!  :D

Capture-vi.jpg

There we go ......really lookin forward to this hahaha

kwilcox

I just pushed v1.0.8.  It has direct play logic.  A couple of notes on this:

• I'm really interested if somebody with a WebOS 3.0 TV could test this.  The WebOS 3.0 emulator has two issues: it doesn't resume the video when currentTime is changed (resume or skip operation), and it doesn't have the h.265 codec installed so new 4K videos encoded with H265 don't play.  Neither of these two issues affected my WebOS 2.0 TV.  The WebOS 2.0 emulator was also unaffected (not a good sign...).
  • My high bitrate vidios paused/buffered often using my 300MB/s WiFi connection.  I had to directly connect the TV using an ethernet cable to fix.  Maximum video/audio bitrate settings are ignored when Direct Play is turned on.
  • The mkv format is only partially supported by WebOS:
    • Fast Forward/Rewind does not work 
    • embedded Subtitles are always shown
  • Direct play works with the Chrome web browser too but YMMV based on your installed audio/video codec library.  Not all videos will play with a browser and Chrome seems to do about the best.
Edited by kwilcox

Wow! 1.0.8 has made it so much more usable for me - completely smooth playback with Direct Play enabled!

I did have one slight hiccup - I'd gone into the settings to enable Direct Play; I changed the assignment of the coloured buttons too, and was certain that I'd ensured that none were assigned "reset screenplay". However, when I tried to bring up the controls with the red button, it did indeed reset Screenplay. When I'd logged back in, I went back into the settings, which had obviously been reset anyway, to check that they were right, and the buttons were fine after that. Obviously I could be misremembering what happened with the buttons, or maybe I'd not clicked it right or something, but it's working now.

The vast majority of my videos are MKV. And you're right, that if I play one through SmartShare and try to fast forward, the TV just says it's not supported. On the other hand, your skipping now works really well, thanks! (as does resume - not quite instant, but very quick).

I'm not really sure what you mean about embedded subtitles, though. Again, most of my videos have embedded subtitles. They don't appear; which means that actually for those I want it on, I currently don't have a way to do it through Screenplay. Are you saying this based on your own experience? Or some documentation? Strange if it's the latter, as that really isn't what I'm seeing. 

58355edb316ac_EmbySubs.png

All of mine are h264, I didn't think h265 was universal enough yet to be usable...

cmarques

Wow! 1.0.8 has made it so much more usable for me - completely smooth playback with Direct Play enabled!

I did have one slight hiccup - I'd gone into the settings to enable Direct Play; I changed the assignment of the coloured buttons too, and was certain that I'd ensured that none were assigned "reset screenplay". However, when I tried to bring up the controls with the red button, it did indeed reset Screenplay. When I'd logged back in, I went back into the settings, which had obviously been reset anyway, to check that they were right, and the buttons were fine after that. Obviously I could be misremembering what happened with the buttons, or maybe I'd not clicked it right or something, but it's working now.

The vast majority of my videos are MKV. And you're right, that if I play one through SmartShare and try to fast forward, the TV just says it's not supported. On the other hand, your skipping now works really well, thanks! (as does resume - not quite instant, but very quick).

I'm not really sure what you mean about embedded subtitles, though. Again, most of my videos have embedded subtitles. They don't appear; which means that actually for those I want it on, I currently don't have a way to do it through Screenplay. Are you saying this based on your own experience? Or some documentation? Strange if it's the latter, as that really isn't what I'm seeing. 

58355edb316ac_EmbySubs.png

All of mine are h264, I didn't think h265 was universal enough yet to be usable...

Really nice your feedback.
I didn't the opportunity to check it yet, maybe this night.

Perhaps you didnt know but MKV containers are very customizable, it means you can set the condition of the audios and subtitles, I mean, you can set a default audio track and/or a subtitle and it will be played by defaults.

You can do it with your files without reencode it, you just need a right tool, like the MKVMerge.

Looking at your image, your example has the subtitle set to default=no and forced=no
If they were set to "yes" perhaps you have the "embedded subtitles" that @@kwilcox have mentioned
  • Like 1

That was rather my point. I do have embedded subtitles, that's what the screenshot shows. They're neither forced nor default, though, which I'd expect to be normal. I want to be able to turn them on and off, which is why they're set how they are.

cmarques
Yes, all my movie library is like yours, and I think that's is the best. We we just need to be able to switch it on/off when we wish, but the app need to be capable to do it.

Thanks to @@kwilcox, screenplay be soon  ^_^

kwilcox

Thanks for the feedback!

I'll be looking at subtitles in a bit more depth today with the emby web client and chrome inspection :).  IIRC one of my video MKVs that has embedded subtitles with one set to default (as cmarques describes) still doesn't not show the subtitles in the web client unless I turn it on using the subtitle menu.  There may be a property of the <video> tag that can control this or there may be an Emby API call that I can make.

Subtitles can also be stored with the video as external SRT files and emby server can combine these into the video stream.  I know how to use the API to do this already and this was the model I was planning to support initially.  The fact that most of you are embedding subtitles into mkv containers is good feedback too.  Thanks again.

I'll take a look at the color key logic again and see if I can reproduce your problem.  By the way, the app has a built in failsafe easter egg; if you click the upper left screenplay logo, screenplay will perform a full reset.  Obviously this only works with a magic remote... 

Still looking for a WebOS 3.0 tester.  Anybody out there want to load up developer mode?

Speaking of Developer mode, have you seen the new version?  Very nice enhancements.  When you enable developer mode, a 50 hour countdown timer is started and the remaining time is now shown.  There's also a new "extend" button that resets the timer back to 50 hours.  So as long as you use the TV every two days or so, you can keep screenplay loaded.

Edited by kwilcox

kwilcox

Interesting.... emby server is deconstructing the mkv container and sending subtitles as track data.  The <src> tag now points to "blob:http://"  I gotta figure out how to make it do that... @@Luke got a link to source code somewhere that might demonstrate this plz?

Edited by kwilcox

There are two settings for subtitles, though, default and forced. Default just means that that's the one you get if you turn subtitles on, but you can cycle through the others.

Forced means that it'll get displayed even if you don't ask them to be.

I'm pretty sure the changed something on the Emby server end recently in regards to the way subtitles are stripped out - it used to be much more likely that Emby would transcode (or at least run ffmpeg with particular options) if you turned on subtitles, but in more recent builds that seems to no longer happen. At least that was my experience.

Yep, saw that Developer mode was updated recently. Didn't improve my ability to connect to the telly from the WebOS IDE though (I still have to try about 30 times before it will actually connect!). The extend session thing looks useful, but I never remember to do it before it expires... would be better if I could just set a longer session length in the first place, though I guess I understand why they do it that way.

kwilcox

By deconstructing the mkv container before playback, defaults set within the container itself are ignored.  Quite a nice way to handle mkv files actually since an HTML5 client such as screenplay can use native video track handling to toggle subtitles.

kwilcox

The web client for sure isn't using HLS via the traditional API  because videos/<itemID>/master.m3u8 isn't part of the <src> tag.  It is also only doing this for mkv videos.  Ffmpeg doesn't run either so it isn't transcoding.

Edited by kwilcox

cmarques
The defaults in the mkv container seems more effective if played directly on a PC's player, as well if playing directly on the TV's player (through an external drive attached to TV)

Over DLNA I can't ensure it works, I didn't remember if I already had tested exactly this.