screenplay for WebOS 2.0 and higher TVs

kwilcox

cmarques
so, let's wait again... they could be more fast this time, since the app already was appreciated.  -_-

kwilcox

Ok,  so LG accepted the programmable color button capability as a feature and eliminated the first issue.  They also stated that the index scrolling capability in the catalog picker screen will be eliminated once I send them a video which demonstrates the feature, which I have also done.  Here it is btw (I'm not much of a public speaker I'm afraid)

That leaves the back button home screen behavior as the sole remaining defect. 

Edited by kwilcox

Good to hear you, though @@kwilcox

What do they actually do with the UX guide and that video? Is it just to help them understand what they're testing? I don't think they get made available for anyone else, right?

(BTW, it's currently called "deno" - not sure if you can change that now?)

kwilcox

Thanks.  Fixed it lol.  The "UX Scenario" document is only for their internal use while testing the app.  There's also another required document called the "Self Checklist" where I answer Pass, Fail, or N/A to a series of questions.

cmarques
your voice resembles that of my brother in law :D (he is also american from Colorado)

so, I'm confidente this time they will accept the app, if they do it, the release in the app store happens automatically?

kwilcox

They accepted the video as proof that index scroll is a feature not a defect.  One defect left to go.  I uploaded v1.0.6 which corrects that defect to the LG site for (even more) QA testing.  We are back to the waiting part now....

Edited by kwilcox

kwilcox

your voice resembles that of my brother in law :D (he is also american from Colorado)
so, I'm confidente this time they will accept the app, if they do it, the release in the app store happens automatically?

I have no idea what happens next actually...

Kavalera

Does anybody know why in Plex app for smartphone or tablet or TV user can set size of subtitles but in EMBY it is not possible. Is it too complicated to add such a feature here

Изпратено от моят LG-H815 с помощта на Tapatalk

kwilcox

Quick status update:  LG has not looked at the app yet.  In other news I've uncovered a movie that always stops playing at the same time (about 2:30 into playback) unless I have the maximum bitrate set to no more than 1MB/sec.  This problem doesn't show up in either emulator so I'm tracking it as either a problem with WebOS2.0 HLS support on my TV or something to do with the speed limitation of my TVs connection to emby server (currently 802.11N @ about 300-600Mb/sec).  I'll try hard wiring it to the same switch tonight with my super long Ethernet cable to see if that solves it.

I'm in a holding pattern on screenplay development work atm but will be focusing on subtitles/alternate audio/direct playback once the version currently in QA is approved.

edit:

Ouch, same problem with a hardwired Ethernet cable.  This appears to be a bug in the WebOS2.0 HLS support on my TV.  I'll send it over to LG.

Edited by kwilcox
  • Like 1

kwilcox

Well, I just achieved a major breakthrough on screenplay's video resume feature which also includes skip and back skip capabilities.  These currently have reliability/delay issues because I had been using native HTML 5 functionality (adjusting currentTime) to control them.  However, today I uncovered an LG video tag extension which bypasses the Web Engine to directly control their Media Player.   The resulting effect on resume, skip, and backskip functionality is nothing short of amazing.

Now to decide whether I want to cancel the current QA request and include this code or wait for them to look at it first and include the enhancements in the next version.  I'm leaning towards the latter...  

Your thoughts?

Edited by kwilcox
  • Like 1

Well, I just achieved a major breakthrough on screenplay's video resume feature which also includes skip and back skip capabilities.  These currently have reliability/delay issues because I use native HTML 5 functionality (adjusting currentTime) to control them.  However, today I uncovered an LG video tag extension which bypasses the Web Engine to directly control their Media Player.   The resulting effect on resume, skip, and backskip functionality is nothing short of amazing.

Now to decide whether I want to cancel the current QA request and include this code or wait for them to look at it first and include the enhancements in the next version.  I'm leaning towards the latter...  

Your thoughts?

I would agree you should wait until they approve your previous version before submitting this update. But please feel free to push to github in the meantime so those of us who have gone through the rigmarole of registering as LG developers and set up the IDE can test it out ;D

And thank you for working on this project. LG TV's don't get enough love, imo.

Edited by swmarks

I would agree you should wait until they approve your previous version before submitting this update. But please feel free to push to github in the meantime so those of us who have gone through the rigmarole of registering as LG developers and set up the IDE can test it out ;D

And thank you for working on this project. LG TV's don't get enough love, imo.

Yep, agreed. Hopefully it won't take much/long to get it into the store now, it certainly seems close!

cmarques
Hi man, I think you should let them approve and give you a green sign to release the app in the store, this amazing found could be part of a major update.

And talking about update, for every update you also should submit it to LG QA?

kwilcox

Yes, I believe that is the process.  The new video positioning code is pretty amazing btw.  I've also added a popup that shows the skip amount.  This is really useful for skipping through blipverts because you can use the left/right buttons to quickly add/subtract time to the skip.  The action fires when 700ms has expired and no button has been pressed.

Capture14-vi.jpg

Edited by kwilcox

kwilcox

The video positioning improvements have been pushed to the repo.  Enjoy!

edit:

aaaand pushed again (I forgot to pull out some debugging code)... 

Edited by kwilcox
  • Like 2

kwilcox

...And thank you for working on this project. LG TV's don't get enough love, imo.

You're welcome @swmarks, and thanks to everybody else who has helped out on this project too!  When I first saw an LG OLED TV, I had to have one.  Nothing else even came close.  My 55EF9500  is a spectacular set that pretty much also allowed me to ditch my media PC.  Emby support was all I needed so here we are :)

Edited by kwilcox
  • Like 3

kwilcox

Make sure that you are using the screenplay repository (link is on page 1 of this thread).  I just checked the master and my changes are there.

Edited by kwilcox

Whoops, sorry! I had no idea you'd changed the URI!

Just done a quick test, and am now seeing the popup. Interestingly. resume works, but skipping seems to take ages - haven't quite managed to work out yet if it's doing it right, but my NAS is busy doing a load of maintenance stuff right now, so I'll check again when it's quietened down.

Thanks

kwilcox

Thanks for checking it out!  Skipping actually works the same way as resume.  Essentially, with skipping I simply kill the transcoding process then issue a resume at the new location.

Full disclosure here: my emby server is a 16 CPU W2K12 powered monster so maybe I'm not seeing the delays for that reason.  On my tests, the video resumes shortly after the skip popup window closes.  If you are seeing long periods of blackness after the popup closes then your WebOS TV client is waiting a long time for the video to buffer.

Edited by kwilcox

kwilcox

The LG team is unable to reach my server for some reason.  I tried this morning from a location with an Internet-only connection to my server and it works fine.  LG and I are troubleshooting currently.

Edit: I found that a malformed URL causes AJAX on an LG TV to hang.  The tester inadvertently did this (probably hit the comma instead of the dot key) while filling out the Add Server screen.  This caused screenplay to display "attempting to contact the server..." forever.  They actually waited 20 minutes for something to happen.

So, I told them I would fix the app to scrub URL names more effectively.  v1.0.7 does this and has been submitted.  I also updated the repo.  Good news is that the new video positioning logic is in this one.

Edited by kwilcox

It's a lot better after the NAS had settled down. I was definitely seeing slower response when skipping than resuming, but perhaps the NAS was just recovering from the previous transcode in the context of skip, whereas with resume it's just got the one transcoding? Dunno...

Anyway, getting closer by the sounds of it!