FFMPEG.exe maxing out CPU

DUG

CPU hits 100% on all cores and remains there until (it seems) i restart.

So ive built up a few HTPC's pretty much all the same spec, nothing fancy - but more than enough.

I have this one which is griefin me;

WIN 7 SP1 Home premium 64bit

Core 2 Quad Q9400

4GB DDR2

primary HDD = 256GB SSD

movies HDD = 3tb 5200rpm

TV shows HDD = 2tb 5200rpm

Emby server 3.0.8200.0

I rebuilt it last week using an SSD as primary. it seems to work fine, but every now and then hits 100% CPU usage and remains there until i restart it or force stop the process using all the cpu.. which appears to be FFMPEG.exe.

I'm not watching anything at the time, nor is anything else running, not even any scheduled tasks in Emby and they seem to run OK after I force stop FFMPEG.exe 

the other odd thing is the number of instances of FFMPEG, when this occurs its always a large number of them , most recent is 36.

I havent seen this on any other HTPC's that ive build

was suspecting the HDD's, but they scan ok no errors.

memory seems ok also

I ruled out an OS issue as this is a fresh build. using the same copy Ive used on one i built 3 weeks ago and many before that.

my gut says its some sort of hardware issue, i havnt found one

It seems to happen more often after adding new content

is ffmpeg used as part of the live scan of the media libraries?

how do limit its CPU usage? I tried changing its CPU affinity and priority in task manager but that doesn't hold or seem to make any difference.

any ideas?

post-4395-0-02716100-1476869482_thumb.png

Happy2Play

You will need to post a server log, but I bet it is "Real Time Monitoring" related if nothing else is running.

is ffmpeg used as part of the live scan of the media libraries?

Yes it is used for getting media info for each item.

Edited by Happy2Play

Koleckai Silvestri

My question would be - Is it actually causing a problem with the overall functioning of the device?

Running your processor at 100% is not a bad thing. They are designed to give you full power when needed and slow down and cool down after that. As long as everything else is functioning within designed parameters, you should just let it do its work. Maybe set the scheduled tasks to run at times you won't be using the machine directly.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

speedingcheetah

I have sometimes had FFMPEG messup..or stop responding and sho multiple instances. Just kill all them in task manager and restart server. U can also try the newest build of ffmpeg directly from dev, and set Emby to use that instead of built in. Works great fro me.

• 1 month later...

sorry guys, i didn't realize anyone responded.

that was a friends HTPC, his got it back now.

when all cores hit 100% the system becomes usable, it pretty much acts like a Pentium 90 with 32mb of RAM trying to run Vista.

after a few restarts and 8 hours , the scheduled tasks completed. and so far it seems fine. though he has Netflix now and doesn't use it much anymore, i guess ill find out.

im putting it down to an old system with a large database on 2 slow spin disks

Enabling CPU throttling will help in this case, it limits the use so you still have some head to work with.

Is it enabled?

74d9706c8fc046b28f272126b311750d.jpeg and select Enable Throttling.

The conversion will usually convert faster then you are streaming, so it uses most of what the CPU can, your CPU is not great with multiple streams at once thus limiting the cores could also trick it in using less, but keeping up with rendering.

Correct me if im wrong!

Edited by PVTD