Removed

Guest asrequested

PenkethBoy

Rofl - got this when i did a search on amazon uk https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lamaze-LC27104-dream-screen/dp/B000I2Q09A

looks like you need a cleaver splitter to get it to work with 4k as the DS spliter is only 1.4a hdmi - although one if coming apparently

do you think its worth the price?

Lol at the commentary :)  Could do with a few less erm's :) - have no doubt i would be as bad just an observation

Think i will wait for the 4k - poss date feb 2017 

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

Rofl - got this when i did a search on amazon uk https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lamaze-LC27104-dream-screen/dp/B000I2Q09A

looks like you need a cleaver splitter to get it to work with 4k as the DS spliter is only 1.4a hdmi - although one if coming apparently

do you think its worth the price?

Lol at the commentary :)  Could do with a few less erm's :) - have no doubt i would be as bad just an observation

Think i will wait for the 4k - poss date feb 2017 

lol, yeah, I know. I was freestylin' the commentary. I had no plan, just started talking lol. I was also trying to find the buttons in the dark lol. I have to admit, the price is a little high. I think this is primarily designed for TVs hung on the wall, and closer to the wall, a white wall. But I do like it.

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

Cool. Thanks.

I'm guessing that guy's favorite movies are Blade Runner and Tron ;).

Actually, the one movie he mentions is The Last Starfighter, but clearly Blade Runner is a heavy influence, here.

• 1 month later...
Guest asrequested

Looks cool! haven't picked one up for myself yet.

The only thing you have to be aware of is the Bluetooth unit/connection. You have to keep it away from metal surfaces, it really messes with the connection if it connects at all. I think I'm gonna buy an HDMI extension cable and relocate mine. Yours would look better than mine, because your TV is on the wall. Once I build my rack and recable everything, I'll try to get my TV closer to the wall

Edited by Doofus

shaefurr

Thanks for the advice.

When I buy TVs i tend to just throw the stand in a closet somewhere right as it comes out of the box. All 4 of mine are wall mounted :P

Edited by shaefurr

Guest asrequested

Thanks for the advice.

When I buy TVs i tend to just throw the stand in a closet somewhere right as it comes out of the box. All 4 of mine are wall mounted :P

I like to be able to move my stuff around. I get bored with my configuration, and I like to change things, periodically. 

Spaceboy

Dream screen aka ambilight as it was Philips that pioneered this I believe. I've had a self built version of this running for a few years now knocked together from a raspberry pi, 150 odd leds and a strip of aluminium. https://youtu.be/9Br8g1bgOgo

I've also changed TVs to one with thinner bezel so it looks much better

Edited by Spaceboy

Spaceboy

There is and android app for the above which is Hyperion running on Debian I think. I don't have an android phone though

shaefurr

I believe it works off the source input, so it would work on whatever is on the screen at the time, the desktop, any apps & games etc. Maybe im wrong.

Edited by shaefurr
  • Like 1

Guest asrequested

That looks pretty cool, I might get one of these :) would this work with the web app? 

I believe it works off the source input, so it would work on whatever is on the screen at the time, the desktop, any apps & games etc. Maybe im wrong.

Shaefurr is right. It reacts to whatever is passed through your HDMI. Even if you have  a letterboxed picture, rather than react to the black bar (which would be no reaction), it reacts to the top of whatever picture is on the screen. That particular scenario is a bit strange, as you get the light of the picture, then the darkness of the letterboxing and then the light on your wall. But you don't really notice. Well, @@shaefurr might, lol

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1

Shaefurr is right. It reacts to whatever is passed through your HDMI. Even if you have  a letterboxed picture, rather than react to the black bar (which would be no reaction), it reacts to the top of whatever picture is on the screen. That particular scenario is a bit strange, as you get the light of the picture, then the darkness of the letterboxing and then the light on your wall. But you don't really notice. Well, @@shaefurr might, lol

Does this cause any input lag then? I game a lot and don't want input lag. I suppose you can always plug direct back to the tv without the middle man but that kinda gets old after a while haha.

PenkethBoy

Did a bit of digging around and found that there are other ways to get the same effect as Dreamscreen

Lightberry is very similar http://lightberry.eu/#what-is-it works with kodi via a plugin etc

But the bonus was i found this Youtube site (if you can get over the german accent!!!!) Watch this youtube video as he brieflyshows you how to do "dreamscreen" with a PI and a couple of extra bits etc with the Hyperion app - oh you can control that from you phone as well as Spaceboy said

now where is my soldering iron .......  :)

Guest asrequested

Does this cause any input lag then? I game a lot and don't want input lag. I suppose you can always plug direct back to the tv without the middle man but that kinda gets old after a while haha.

No lag. The signal passes straight through.

shaefurr

Nice tutorial video, after watching it and seeing all thats required, not counting the LEDs that weren't added in that video. It seems like far too much hassle for something like ambient lighting.

$160 for a dreamscreen seems like a decent price to avoid all that :P