VPNs - Please Edumacate Me

Spaceboy

Spaceboy

So this question comes primarily from the position of being a downloader. I mainly use sonarr and usenet but occasionally have to resort to torrents. I have been using btguard for my torrents forever.

I'd like to use sonarr on my synology to do everything but afaik no synology torrent client supports socks5 proxys. So it seems to me that using a good vpn may work as an alternative but I'm not totally clear on what they do and whether they offer other functionality. Here I presume I'd set my synology to tunnel through the VPN whenever it's connecting to the internet?

PIA seems to be a good VPN provider, well rated and a good price. Does anyone have experience of them or any other recs?

And from what I read other people use VPN's to connect to their Emby server and perhaps for internet usage away from their homes? I understand the former might be useful if your ISP monitors or throttles outbound traffic, not sure mine Virgin Media is that bothered about things like that, and I'm not so worried about the latter. But on both if there is a simple and unobstructive way to do that I'd probably be interested. But how does this work? For remote internet usage I guess you install a VPN client on your pc / iPhone etc? But for remote emby usage would you need something on server and client?

Cheers for any advice!

Cerothen

I recently started dabbling back in torrents after years of just Usenet. My provider Usenetserver bundles in a VPN in the $95 annually unlimited plan so I just used their VPN.

My home server is a proxmox host and one of the lxc containers is for torrents. The server is set using deluge and has up tables set to deny all traffic for the deluge user on interfaces that are not the tunnel.

Furthermore I revised the init script to select a random profile when the daemon starts and put a crown in to restart the daemon every 24 hours.

It might be slightly overkill but so far it's been good

legallink

I'm just going to be the jerk.  DON"T TALK ABOUT THIS IN THE FORUM.  Talk about this somewhere else, in private messages, whereever....not here in the open forum communications.

• Like 1

Spaceboy

I'm just going to be the jerk. DON"T TALK ABOUT THIS IN THE FORUM. Talk about this somewhere else, in private messages, whereever....not here in the open forum communications.

go away. There are loads of topics on sonarr, usenet and couch potato. We're all grownups, please go and be a jerk elsewhere

www.frootvpn.com

Based in Sweden, with servers in 19 different countries. Fast, Secure (2048bit encryption), no logging, 24/7 support, $2.99/month on a 12 month contract. Guaranteed 99.99% uptime.

EDIT: forgot to add, used with Sonarr and uTorrent - faultless

Edited by jordy
  • Like 1

go away. There are loads of topics on sonarr, usenet and couch potato. We're all grownups, please go and be a jerk elsewhere

He's a very educated jerk on this particular point of interest so we would appreciate it if the specific discussions of how to make torrents work without anyone knowing what you are doing was handled elsewhere.

Thanks for your understanding.

Now, discussing what a VPN is and how it works is fine.

• Like 1

Spaceboy

Now, discussing what a VPN is and how it works is fine.

And why / how people use it with Emby? that was part of my original question?

legallink

From a pure Emby/VPN perspective, a lot of people use VPNs for improved bandwidth (when there is some connection issues due to ISPs), or getting local account recognition (if you've prevented remote access to the server).  I'm sure there are other reasons as well, but those are the ones I've seen before.

aspdend

Personally, I use a VPN for my PC's Internet connection at home. Although there is a portable version to use elsewhere  on my phone etc, I never connect to unknown wireless networks so my only use is connecting the Emby server to/from the internet and conversely back into my server from outside my home network

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
moviefan

Emby windows server work fine in frootVPN?

VPN services like frootVPN are for initiating outbound connections.

For connecting into your home network from outside you will need to run a VPN service on your router/firewall/NAS or use some sort of screen sharing software like TeamViewer.

Edited by moviefan

JeremyFr79

I run my own VPN on my home firewall for connecting back to my home.

I do this for several reasons.  It gives me a secure connection back to my home network should I need to troubleshoot anything while away from home or directly access files or services from my servers. But it also provides me a safe and secure connection when I'm on "unknown" networks.  I am able to VPN back to my firewall at home and route all my traffic through it eliminating the possibility of MITM and other attacks while away from home.  There are other advantages as well but those are just a few.

Catsrules

Just to throw my two cents in this,

I also have a VPN setup at my home. This is for remote accessing any services on my home network remotely. (including Emby). I prefer the VPN over other things like port forwarding because I feel it is more secure this way, and once you have the VPN setup everything just works. No need to screw around with port numbers and external IP address, if it works on the homework it works on the VPN.  But it does have disadvantages of adding more overhead to the connection also in the case of Emby limiting supported remote devices, because the remote devices need to support VPN. Basically limiting the devices to computers and Android/IOS devices. I would like to try and solve this issue by setting up a little VPN router thing that will tunnel all traffic to my home, this way anything that connect to the VPN router is seamlessly connected to my house.