Sorting by name excludes numbering in file name

Keylonta
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Keylonta

I have a home movies library for which I added the following files which include the number at the beginning of the file name:

01. Introduction

02. Session 01꞉ Programming Kicks

03. Session 02꞉ Programming Timbres

04. Session 03꞉ Subliminal Modulation

05. Session 04꞉ Ambiguous Displacement

06. Session 05꞉ Metrical Dissonance

07. Session 06꞉ More Examples

08. Session 07꞉ Processing

09. Final Words

The issue I am having is I am sorting them by name but they are displaying in Emby like this:

Final Words

Introduction

Session 01꞉ Programming Kicks

Session 02꞉ Programming Timbres

Session 03꞉ Subliminal Modulation

Session 04꞉ Ambiguous Displacement

Session 05꞉ Metrical Dissonance

Session 06꞉ More Examples

Session 07꞉ Processing

Why when sorting by name is Emby not using the numbers to sort the correct order like in Windows Explorer?

Why is Emby removing the numbers from the beginning of the file names when they are displayed in Emby?

How do I fix the order?

Keylonta

Sorry, I meant to say "I have a home videos library...".

I set the content type to home videos and photos when I created the library. As I understand, this will prevent metadata from being downloaded from the web?

• Solution

ok, i tested these file names and most likely your issue is that it extracted the embedded titles within those video files, and they do not have those prefixes.

• Like 1

Keylonta

I removed the embedded titles but then it displayed like an alphabetical version of the following without the Session info:

Final Words

Introduction

Programming Kicks

Programming Timbres

Subliminal Modulation

Ambiguous Displacement

Metrical Dissonance

More Examples

Processing

It even changed one of the episode names that display in Emby, I can't remember which one, but for example, Ambiguous Displacement became Ambiguous Dissonance.

Not to worry though, I edited the info in the metadata manager and they display correctly now.

The only issue I'm having now is when a series is highlighted it shows it's titles from 09 (at the top) to 01 (at the bottom). See following image. But then when I select the title and enter into it the episodes display correctly from 01 (at the top) to 09 (at the bottom). Is there a setting to not display episodes when a title is highlighted? Or is there someway to get it to display correctly?

5806db4b98464_Capture.jpg

do these episode numbers have sort titles filled out in the metadata manager? what about episode numbers?

Keylonta

No Sort titles filled out, and I can not see an Episode numbers field in the metadata manager.

They're .mov files.

I even used the Remove all possible properties option (W7) for one of the files, then removed the library, deleted all the metadata in the folder, then created a new library but it's still the same.

It even changed one of the episode names that display in Emby...

It changed 08. Session 07꞉ Processing to Additional Processing.

I imported a file into iTunes to check it's info there but all the fields are blank.

Keylonta

No.

I just noticed that some of the other titles have their episodes with correct naming, while others have all kinds of variations of the name given to the file. I think it's safe to say that some of these files (which I purchased) must of been embedded with metadata that is not editable with the methods I'm using.

Is there a setting to not display episodes when a title is highlighted? See above image. Or is there someway to get it to display in the correct order?

Thanks for the support.

I removed the embedded titles but then it displayed like an alphabetical version of the following without the Session info:

Final Words

Introduction

Programming Kicks

Programming Timbres

Subliminal Modulation

Ambiguous Displacement

Metrical Dissonance

More Examples

Processing

It even changed one of the episode names that display in Emby, I can't remember which one, but for example, Ambiguous Displacement became Ambiguous Dissonance.

Not to worry though, I edited the info in the metadata manager and they display correctly now.

The only issue I'm having now is when a series is highlighted it shows it's titles from 09 (at the top) to 01 (at the bottom). See following image. But then when I select the title and enter into it the episodes display correctly from 01 (at the top) to 09 (at the bottom). Is there a setting to not display episodes when a title is highlighted? Or is there someway to get it to display correctly?

5806db4b98464_Capture.jpg

That is just standard functionality for folders in EMC.  If there is no overview defined for them, then it creates one using the contents, sorted by last added descending, I believe.

You could fix this by providing an overview for the folders.

• Like 1