Please replace "Play All" with "Play Next" for TV series

AdrianW

AdrianW

Please change the default "Play All" button that appears at the top of a season folder to "Play Next" - I've lost count of the number of times we've accidentally pressed this and started playback at season one episode one.

There's about one single use-case for the "Play All" button - you want to watch an entire series from the beginning. Every single other use-case would be to start watching at the first unwatched episode (i.e. "Play Next").

This has been suggested before here: Episode playing and some suggestions - with at least three users (including me) agreeing with the op. 

Edited by AdrianW
  • Like 40

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
daedalus

if you really want to play  a complete series from the beginning, eg you still can press play while the series selected in the overview, so this won't be a loss

Edited by daedalus
  • Like 1

AdrianW

if you really want to play  a complete series from the beginning, eg you still can press play while the series selected in the overview, so this won't be a loss

It could also be added to the three-dot menu, which is the ideal place for those edge-case scenarios.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
AdrianW

I actually made use of the new "Play Next Up" button last night - and it did play the next up episode - BUT, after the episode completed it started playing the next one.

Please make the new "Play Next Up" button respect the "Play next episode automatically" setting.

Edited by AdrianW
  • Like 1

Guest asrequested

@@ebr The only suggestion I would make, is change the text to resume when that is what it's doing. It's a little confusing seeing play next when you're in the middle of an episode.

AdrianW

@@ebr The only suggestion I would make, is change the text to resume when that is what it's doing. It's a little confusing seeing play next when you're in the middle of an episode.

+  make the new "Play Next Up" button respect the "Play next episode automatically" setting.

• Like 1

From the perspective of the Series (where this button is) you are always "resuming" but I think using that terminology would be confusing to many.  Therefore, I think using it in this case would also be confusing (What happened to "Play Next Up"?)...

Guest asrequested

From the perspective of the Series (where this button is) you are always "resuming" but I think using that terminology would be confusing to many. Therefore, I think using it in this case would also be confusing (What happened to "Play Next Up"?)...

That doesn't make any sense. Playing next up when you are in the middle of an episode, is incorrect. You aren't playing the next episode, you're playing the same episode. If this is how you think, then just call it "Play". It shouldn't stay as is. I considered it an error and I was waiting for it to be fixed.

Playing next up when you are in the middle of an episode, is incorrect. You aren't playing the next episode

You are on a Series screen not an Episode one.  From the perspective of the episode you are correct but from the perspective of the Series, you are playing the next up episode.  That is - the episode that appears as "Next Up" right below the button you are hitting.

As I said, we considered just calling this button "Resume" all the time because, from the Series perspective, that is what you are doing - resuming the series.  But we think people won't really understand that.

The only thing I think we could possibly do to help here would be to make it say "Play Next Up - resume from x:xxx" when  the next up episode happens to be a partially watched one but that gets to be too much text on the button.

Not sure what the "Android mentality" is as this has nothing to do with any platform but after some discussion, Luke and I think we've come up with something that will work much better in both situations.

Basically, we'll just be specific about what is being played or resumed as opposed to using generic terminology.  That way there should be no confusion.