WDTV Live dropping EMBY Server 3.0.8100.0 after update

farsite

Hi

I'm presently experiencing the same problem with my LG television. Was working fine till few days ago and now the television won't even see it.

Waiting on the outcome of this thread however till a solution is found how do I load an older version of Emby? I've downloaded files for Windows from Github, is a straight copy paste?

Install 3.0.8300.

XiphosZA

Good day guys

Thanks for all the help from the Emby team.

So i have Loaded the latest server release as suggested by Luke on another thread and i must say it's allot better, the 3 WDTV boxes i tested drops the EMBY DLNA connection allot less and stays connected longer.

However it still disconnects after +/- 12 minutes of playing the video.

So i enabled the DLNA logging and retested, what i have discovered in the Emby server log was, it detects excessive high ping rates 

On Wifi:  

2016-10-21 21:10:12.1703 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 500 to 10.0.0.113. Time: 724344ms.

On Ethernet:

2016-10-21 20:58:07.6655 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 500 to 10.0.0.113. Time: 1794ms (slow)

I suspected a network issue so I also ran a continues network ping from the media server to the WDTV box and you can see the corresponding times differ to what was found in the log.

Wifi ping: 

[2016-10-21 21:10:12]Reply from 10.0.0.113: bytes = 64 time = 1ms TTL = 64

Ethernet

[2016-10-21 20:58:07]Reply from 10.0.0.113: bytes = 64 time < 1ms TTL = 64

I have also tried a different WiFi access point to rule out network issues.

What i have notice is when the WDTV is on idle it times out allot quicker than wen you are playing a video.

Just to Add my LG Smart tv works 100% now

server-63612679338.zip

Edited by XiphosZA

I updated to 3.0.8300.0 earlier today, restarted Emby, cold started the WDTV, it still can't see Emby. BubbleUPNP on the other hand can see Emby, which was not the case with the previous version.

• Like 1

Installed the latest version & tried the WDTV again.

It connected fine & I browsed in the library for a few minutes before WDTV lost the server connection (there was no error message in the server log at this point).  Waited for a minute or so & reconnected.  Played a movie and the server disconnected again after about 2 minutes (this time there was an error message in the log - attached).

Server works fine for EMBY Theater on laptop & for EMBY for Android on a tablet.  Just something strange happening in the WDTV box.

Server v3.0.8300 test.txt

Server v3.0.8300-63612658141.txt

[edit] works fine for Samsung TV app too - both Win 7 & Win 10 servers,  Doesn't show up on WDTV from a Win 10 server

Edited by farsite
  • Like 1

Tolerant

Maybe all our WDTV boxes were taken over by the Cyber Attack criminals using "the internet of things" to launch DDOS attacks against major websites today and in the recent past. Things like printers, cameras, DVR's, etc have knocked out major websites. Google "cyber attack". ;)

• Like 1

XiphosZA

Maybe all our WDTV boxes were taken over by the Cyber Attack criminals using "the internet of things" to launch DDOS attacks against major websites today and in the recent past. Things like printers, cameras, DVR's, etc have knocked out major websites. Google "cyber attack". ;)

or perhaps WD sent the auto destruct sequence script to all WD TV devices to destroy all evidence that they have made media devices.  

(If at first you don't succeed try again, if you still don't succeed burn all evidence that you have tried before ~ from some old movie)  :ph34r:

Edited by XiphosZA

XiphosZA

I have also tried different firmware on the on the WDTV boxes but still no luck, Have you guys perhaps found a solution?

Nothing yet - still trying.  Sure wish we could get an error log from the WDTC box!!!

In keeping with the previous comments, if a mysterious pod lands next to the box I'm just going to let it take over - can't hurt

• Like 1

The good news  - tried a different router set to factory defaults (this has solved other DLNA issues associated with the recent releases)

The bad news  - didn't change anything & WDTV keeps losing 3.0.8300

I've tried everything already mentioned in this thread plus decreasing the DLNA discovery &/or keep alive intervals, running EMBY as a service and using a direct ethernet cable connection to the router - all tests had the same frustrating result.

I can't think of anything else we can test to try & help the experts figure out what the problem is.

In the hopes that it will help those looking into this problem, I'll post 2 more logs from 3.0.7100 & 3.0.8300 playing the same file (media file info included in the log). 7100 played it start to finish whereas 8300 had to be reconnected 9 times. Both servers were set up to report DLNA logging but for some reason 3.0.8300 does not include SsdpHandler messages every 30 seconds (is there a separate setting for this?????? I couldn't find one).

Test Logs.zip

As for me, I'm using 3.0.7100 for now but will be following developments closely & will test any new betas that include changes to server communication.

PS The pod wilted because it couldn't find any signs of intelligent life in the WDTV box - can't say I blame it

What I notice is that the WDTV relies solely on the alive broadcasts rather than a combination of that and upnp searches. The previous bug that I corrected was that the server would stop sending out the broadcasts after the first few. 

[deleted]

In the logs above, WDTV lost the server after approx. 3, 4, 3, 6, 8, 8, 9, 5, 3 and 2 minutes.  Wouldn't a 'keep alive' issue follow a more regular pattern?

I clearly don't know enough about this so please excuse any newbie questions

Edited by farsite

Tolerant

Would it not be easier to check the code changes from the versions that worked.. and the tree of changes in the newer versions that don't and just correct the problem? Did someone really change DLNA "that" much in the last 2-3 releases?! How is this even still an issue.. these things should be tracked.. right?

Would it not be easier to check the code changes from the versions that worked.. and the tree of changes in the newer versions that don't and just correct the problem? Did someone really change DLNA "that" much in the last 2-3 releases?! How is this even still an issue.. these things should be tracked.. right?

Because the unfortunate reality with dlna is that almost nobody follows spec, they just find something else that seems to work and use it as a starting point. This goes for everything from dlna players to servers, controllers, to software in your WDTV, software in your TV, etc. To make matters worse, how would you react if we said we won't fix issue ABC because your device is not following spec? I am guessing you would not be happy so that is why developers of all dlna software, us included end up having to work around it. But this pattern just ends up encouraging even more bad behavior.

So what is the end result? Well now you have a situation where you can't just follow spec, you have to test everything on every device individually. There is no change that broke it, because the changes improved lots of different things for different devices. I do not have a WDTV on hand so I am interfacing with you guys to try to get to the bottom of it.

And we certainly appreciate & need your help!!

I'll reduce the stay alive interval even more tomorrow & try again.  Is there any way to turn on the SsdpHandler messages in 3.0.8300 so we can try to determine any pattern between the shut downs & keep alive messages?

Ran a bunch of tests today - don't want the mavens to think we aren't trying to help - tried keep alive down to 10 sec and client discovery down to 30 sec. No noticeable effect (although I've got no confirmation from the logs that the changes I requested were in effect : Luke mentioned that a fix he made in 8.1.8300 was that the server would stop sending keep alive broadcasts after the first few so I'm not absolutely sure the client discovery setting &/or keep alive settings are active in the recent releases as there are no SsdpHandler messages in the log.  The "largest" change I was able to accomplish occurred when I turned off streaming in Windows 7 (for some reason WDTV suggests this in the manual when describing how to set up network shares - shares work no matter what the setting).  Once I did this, the interval between Emby drops increased and I could play a 60 minute file with 'only' 2-3 resets as apposed to 8+

I also tried 3.0.7200 & 3.0.7300 & they worked with WDTV so somewhere between 3.0.7300 & 3.0.800 (a little over a week) the WDTV problem appeared.  There were 6 Beta releases during this period but Windows versions are not available on GitHub so can't narrow it down more than this.

I'm getting a new Golden Retriever pup tomorrow :D so won't be doing much testing in the next couple of weeks but will look in as often as possible.  Good luck tracking this down & thanks to all who've helped.

Tolerant

Well I appreciate the interfacing attempts however, WDTVLive SMP is still having problems staying connected to Emby's DLNA server. I can see it with .400, I can pick it as a source, but after starting to play things it disappears and then the woman gives up and switches it over to the network shares after letting me know her displeasure. I stay hopeful that someone will track this problem down soon. :(

XiphosZA

Because the unfortunate reality with dlna is that almost nobody follows spec, they just find something else that seems to work and use it as a starting point. This goes for everything from dlna players to servers, controllers, to software in your WDTV, software in your TV, etc. To make matters worse, how would you react if we said we won't fix issue ABC because your device is not following spec? I am guessing you would not be happy so that is why developers of all dlna software, us included end up having to work around it. But this pattern just ends up encouraging even more bad behavior.

So what is the end result? Well now you have a situation where you can't just follow spec, you have to test everything on every device individually. There is no change that broke it, because the changes improved lots of different things for different devices. I do not have a WDTV on hand so I am interfacing with you guys to try to get to the bottom of it.

also tried version 3.0.7300 as "farsite" have done on the windows install and works 100%

Hi Luke and ebr any suggestions what we can try and test? 

It's a pity you guys are way across the big pond otherwise i could have sent one of my WD TV boxes over for testing using local mailing service, the other alternative is to DHL it you guys. If that will help PM me your address and i will get quotes.

also tried version 3.0.7300 as "farsite" have done on the windows install and works 100%

Hi Luke and ebr any suggestions what we can try and test? 

It's a pity you guys are way across the big pond otherwise i could have sent one of my WD TV boxes over for testing using local mailing service, the other alternative is to DHL it you guys. If that will help PM me your address and i will get quotes.

Well, if that's available then device donations are certainly always welcome.

• 4 weeks later...
XiphosZA

Hi Guys

Sorry for the late response had a unfortunate passing away of a close friend.

Luke PM me an address where i can send the device to.

Hi Guys

Sorry for the late response had a unfortunate passing away of a close friend.

Luke PM me an address where i can send the device to.

Thanks, will do.