WDTV Live dropping EMBY Server 3.0.8100.0 after update

farsite

After updating EMBY Server to 3.0.8100, I keep losing the connection to WDTV Live after 20-30 seconds.  WD initially 'sees' the server, connects successfully and displays the media folders.  When I select a movie (or TV show), it plays for a short time (10 seconds or so) & then loses the connection.  In fact, even if I just browse through the available movies without actually starting one - the server connection drops & I have to reconnect.

I'm running Window 7 home premium (x64), Intel i7-3770K, 16Gb memory.

I've tried 3 different firmware versions on the WDTV (and rebooting, powering it off, etc.) - all have the same issue.  When I run EMBY Home Theatre on my laptop it works fine with no issues so that rules out a server installation or router problem.  I've also checked the firewall logs and even disabled it completely to make sure that the WDTV unit was not being blocked in any way.  There are no relevant Windows event logs during the test periods.

In short, I've run out of ideas as to what is causing this problem & am hoping that one of you will be able to point me in the right direction.  I've attached a serve log covering one of the tests (movie played for about 10-15 seconds before crapping out).  I restarted the server before running the test.

server-63612044763.txt

Thanks - I appreciate any help or suggestions

• Like 1

c.rancic@bigpond.com

Exact same issue with my server & WDTV. Have tested client on tablet & phone also & while I don't get disconnected I can't play any media? 

Tolerant

My WDTVLive is not even seeing the option to use my Emby as a media source now. What happened?! My other half is rather upset at not being able to find her "favorites" and having to manually browse for everything via network shares.

My WDTVLive is not even seeing the option to use my Emby as a media source now. What happened?! My other half is rather upset at not being able to find her "favorites" and having to manually browse for everything via network shares.

Forgot to mention that each time that WDTV lost the server connection, EMBY no longer appeared as a media source. If I restarted only the server or WDTV, occasionally EMBY would reappear as a media source (same result with dropped connection) but most often I would have to restart both WDTV and the EMBY server.

I also tried EMBY server under Windows 10 (same computer - dual boot) but EMBY did not appear as a media source in WDTV.  Network shares worked fine for me as well

I have the same problem since 3.0.8100.0, I just installed and restarted 3.0.8200.0 and the problem persists. Emby is no longer listed as a source under Media Servers on the WDTV.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro on the server, my WDTV can still see other DLNA servers like my Synology, and the Emby library is still accessible through its web interface (in home on the LAN or remotely via the Internet). The "Enable DLNA server" and "Blast alive messages" settings are both checked. (30 second alive message interval). The default user is set to the only user on my Emby server.

BubbleUPNP on my Nexus 7 tablet does not see Emby either, so this may be a broader DLNA problem rather than a bug limited to WDTVs.

Ran some tests today on my laptop using standalone EMBY server releases 3.0.6300, 3.0.7100 and 3.0.800

All used a test library containing a single avi movie which plays directly on WDTV Live (no rendering involved). For each test the server was restarted to initialize the log, WDTV was turned on & connected to the EMBY server and the movie played for 2 minutes and stopped. The timing sequence for the 3 servers are in the attached file (Server Tests) along with the logs for each server version.

Server tests.txt

Server v3.0.6300-63612395864.txt

Server v3.0.7100-63612396789.txt

Server v3.0.8000-63612398272.txt

The 3.0.6 & 3.0.7 releases worked with no problems - the 3.0.8 server dropped after a playback of 3-5 seconds.

Hopefully, with the same input conditions, someone in the community can tell from the logs what is failing. Seems to me it must have something to do with the DLNA handshaking since the movie starts to play but then craps out

can you try this again on the new version, but please first:

- go to logs -> enable debug logging

- go to dlna -> enable dlna debug logging

then restart emby server and try the test again. then please attach the log. thanks !

Tolerant

I forgot to mention I am using Win 10 64 Bit Pro and currently Version 3.0.8200.0. Still an ongoing issue, but now I usually am seeing the WDTVLive as a choice to cast to most of the time, however from the WDTVLive I am often getting source has been removed and have to re-choose it. Someone is sleeping in that room so I cannot run tests for actual playback, but I do agree this was an issue that only started within the last couple of updates mentioned above and before that it was business as usual & working fine. Hopefully this can be fixed in the near future, good luck tracking it down.

Thank you to everyone here who has provided detail in your reports. The mention about the drop-off during after a few minutes of idle time was particularly useful, because today I was able to recreate that using an LG smart TV, and hopefully resolving that will resolve it for the WDTV as well. The fix will be in tomorrow's beta so if you could please try that out it would be helpful. Thanks.

• Like 1

Tolerant

Tried to switch updates to beta and then upgrade to the newest version, but that option no longer seems to be available in the release version?

Very concerned about loosing users / watched status with my database so holding off on uninstalling and reinstalling directly from beta. :(

Hold back on the switchover.

Tested standalone on my main server/database & had drops.

Went back to the laptop with stripped down database (3 movies [avi, mp4, mkv] & 1 TV season [mkv]).

Then ran longer tests on each format separately - all failed after about 5-7 minutes of playback. After each test, exited EMBY and restarted fresh & turned off WDTV & restarted.

Laptop is an Acer Aspire 5733 (intel I3 380M, 4 GB, Win 7 Home) & I monitored processor usage at all times during the tests (never greater than 25% after loading EMBY).

Test & movie variables are attached along with the EMBY logs

Beta Server tests.txt

test 1 - server-63612504282.txt

test 2 - server-63612505040.txt

test 3 - server-63612505618.txt

test 4 - server-63612506176.txt

Closing in but not there yet for the WDTV

Tried v3.1.195 beta (hoped the DLNA server fix mentioned in the release might do it).  Server showed on WDTV & connected - played mkv movie for about 11 minutes & then dropped the server.

Server v3.1.195-beta-63612555003.txt

FYI

Tried v3.0.7100, v3.0.8200 & v3.1.195beta on Windows 10 (both Windows Defender & Firewall disabled to avoid any possible interference).  v3.0.7100 showed up on WDTV and worked with no problems.  WDTV could not see EMBY for either of the others.  EMBY Theater run on a Windows 7 laptop found & worked with all 3.

@@Tolerant might want to consider installing v3.0.7100 as a temporary measure until the WDTV issues are worked out.  Always good to keep the other half happy. :P

• Like 1

Clinically_Sane

Hi

I'm presently experiencing the same problem with my LG television. Was working fine till few days ago and now the television won't even see it.

Waiting on the outcome of this thread however till a solution is found how do I load an older version of Emby? I've downloaded files for Windows from Github, is a straight copy paste?