When Using Roku from Remote Location, Roku App Keeps Forgetting Server Name

saj

I frequently use a Roku to access my Emby server from a remote location. Frequently, not always, when I reenter the Roku app, I am prompted to reenter the server name. Having to do this over and over is tedious, especially with the less than convenient way one has to enter it. This doesn't seem to be a problem when the server is on the local network.

Are you using emby connect with pin, or manually logging in?

If using emby connect/pin method you might be in an "in between" state. When you use emby connect, you shouldnt use sign out. Instead you should use change server. Doing sign out while using emby connect can cause the app to forget the server/user info and it will store empty states. Then when the emby app starts it will always ask for server/user/pass every time even with "remember user" set to yes.

To avoid this you can manually sign in directly to the remote servers ip/port. Once in the app successfully you should check to make sure "remember user" is set to yes. Now choose sign out, and the app presents the choose user screen. Choose your user and sign in again. This should make the app save the server/user info. Next press the home button on the roku remote. Enter the emby app again, and now it should remember you again. You shouldnt have problems afterwards.

Edited by speechles

Hi, is it possible you're starting up the Roku app before the server or network connection is ready? What happens is the app will try to connect and if it fails it will send you back to the connection process.

I am manually signing in each time with remember me set. The server is definitely already up when I'm doing this. I usually leave Emby active, but after a while I am automatically sent back to the Roku home page. I suppose it is possible that the connection is timing out when I come back in sometimes and sending me back to the add server screen. It would be better if, when the connection fails, I would be given the option to select the same server and try again, instead of having to input the server name again. It would also be nice to be able to set the connection timeout to a longer time and/or specify how many times to retry.

OK, we are currently overhauling the Roku app so we will make sure to test this. For now I would just hang in there a little longer. What might be happening is data might not be getting saved due to roku storage limits. You can reset this by uninstalling the channel and installing it again. If you have multiple Emby channels installed such as the beta or zip version, just pick one of those and remove the other two. Thanks.