How to manage multiple versions of same movie?

ShoutingMan

Happy2Play

@@dml33

The issue is the how you used the bracket, as Emby still parses everything after the bracket.  If you bracket everything behind the name they will be grouped.

5c56302339baf_bracket.jpg

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play

@@cayars

Can you update the wiki to reflect what I mentioned above. If bracket multi-version is used, the bracket must encompass everything after the media name.

The " - " does this by default.

Edited by Happy2Play

@@Happy2Play,

I can surely add that but let me make sure I understand what you are saying.

* The brackets must be at the end of the file name before the extension

* Everything inside the brackets is what gets shown in the client just like everything after the "-" does

* There can be only one set of brackets in the file name

If correct then

Top Gun (1986) [4K DTS ] Blu-ray.x264.DTS.mkv would be invalid while

Top Gun (1986) Blu-ray.x264.DTS [4K DTS].mkv would be valid

Top Gun [1986] Blu-ray.x264.DTS [4K DTS].mkv would be invalid due to quantity 2 sets of brackets

Sound correct?

Happy2Play

@@Happy2Play,

* Everything inside the brackets is what gets shown in the client just like everything after the "-" does

If correct then

Top Gun [1986] Blu-ray.x264.DTS [4K DTS].mkv would be invalid due to quantity 2 sets of brackets

Sound correct?

My understanding (verified with test files) is filenames need to match, so anything after the filename either needs to reside in brackets or after " - " for multi-versioning to work.  

The rule of folder and filename matching applies also.

Hope that makes more sense.

Will have to test multiple brackets, but I believe exact name rules applies.

Regarding the brackets being recognized as two versions, we would like to support that scenario as easily as the dashes, it's just a little more difficult. But we will gradually improve it. I will add this example to our internal tracker for review in the future.

For now, using the dashes is what we recommend for best results. thanks.

Hi.

Thanks for the replies. I edited the original post, since I didn't write properly the last example, the one with "-".

I understand better now.

A movie file name convention is usually as follows:

MovieName Year Version Resolution Source VideoCodec AudioCodec

I would like to request that only the things between the brackets would be actually displayed in the client.

Thus, for example, just putting [Version Resolution] would make the Source and codecs transparent for the client and much clearer. Or, for example, for transcoding issues, you may also include the Video Codec within the brackets if you have the movie in different codecs.

I think this approach would make it much more powerful, versatile and clearer.

Thanks.

Enviado desde mi CLT-L29 mediante Tapatalk

That does make sense.  The only thing is that brackets are used for multiple things so it could cause a conflict in parsing.  For example many people put the year in brackets vs parenthesis.  If you were to do this, then you would have a double set of brackets.  Sure it could be accounted for in programming but it starts to overly complicate scanning and parsing and you can bet someone will have files already in said format and get weird results in their existing libraries do to new changes like this.

What we currently have now using the dash "-" works very well and still allows the use of brackets for year or comments (as some people use them).  Anything following the dash is what shows up as the "movie version description" used when choosing the version to play.

OK.

I agree that dashes are much less common to be in file names than brackets.

What about this?

If there is just only one "-", it goes on working as now.

But, if there are two, how about making it work as I said before with brackets? It would delimitate what would be shown in the client. Thus, only the relevant information which the server owner desires is shown to the clients.

Thanks.

Edited by dml33

It's not that simple as we can end up accidentally detecting as multi-version when we shouldn't be. But it's something we can look at in the future. Thanks.

• 7 months later...
iamspartacus

Is there anyway to merge my movies into the same library file other than creating a collection?  My files are in different physical folders (on purpose to separate 1080p from 4K).

File 1 = \media\movies\John Wick Chapter 3 - Parabellum (2019)\John Wick Chapter 3 – Parabellum (2019) - Remux-1080p.mkv

File 2 = \media\4k\movies\John Wick Chapter 3 - Parabellum (2019)\John Wick Chapter 3 – Parabellum (2019) - Remux-2160p.mkv

My movies library has both \media\movies and \4k\movies added.  But in movies it just shows a duplicate entry for all my files that have both a 1080p and 2160p version.

Is there anyway to merge my movies into the same library file other than creating a collection?  My files are in different physical folders (on purpose to separate 1080p from 4K).

File 1 = \media\movies\John Wick Chapter 3 - Parabellum (2019)\John Wick Chapter 3 – Parabellum (2019) - Remux-1080p.mkv

File 2 = \media\4k\movies\John Wick Chapter 3 - Parabellum (2019)\John Wick Chapter 3 – Parabellum (2019) - Remux-2160p.mkv

My movies library has both \media\movies and \4k\movies added.  But in movies it just shows a duplicate entry for all my files that have both a 1080p and 2160p version.

Hi, have you explored the "Group Versions" feature?

iamspartacus

Hi, have you explored the "Group Versions" feature?

I see this now.  Thanks!

Edited by iamspartacus

• 1 year later...
G4n0nD0rf

Doesn't seems to be working for Home video 😔 Am I doing something wrong here? I have 4K and HD versions and like to be able to choose which one to play.

Happy2Play
6 hours ago, G4n0nD0rf said:

Doesn't seems to be working for Home video 😔 Am I doing something wrong here? I have 4K and HD versions and like to be able to choose which one to play.

Can you go over a specific example to include folder structure/naming.

G4n0nD0rf
On 12/24/2020 at 8:05 PM, Happy2Play said:

Can you go over a specific example to include folder structure/naming.

I tried many things, including

• Test\Test - 4K.mkv
  • Test\Test - HD.mkv

and

• Test\Test [4K].mkv
  • Test\Test [HD].mkv

but they show up as separate videos.

I don't think multi-versions is supported for home movies library types.  I've actually never tried it personally. :)

If you create a movie library it should work however.

G4n0nD0rf
3 hours ago, cayars said:

I don't think multi-versions is supported for home movies library types.  I've actually never tried it personally. :)

The Home Videos aren't recognized as movies, so it sais 'No items found'. The folder view is the same as before.

You can't add the same folder to two different libraries with two different content types, if that's what you did. So if you create a movies library, you need to delete the other one.

• 2 weeks later...
G4n0nD0rf
On 12/30/2020 at 4:08 PM, cayars said:

Using a movie library for home videos had some disadvantages, so I decided to keep using a home video library. When manually grouping the different versions it works just fine. Would be nice if this happend automatically, but I can manage this way.

• 1 year later...
Tsch3ns

Just tried it with 2 versions from a home video and it works, I can choose the movie version with the dropdown menu.

\mymovie\mymovie - 4k 60 fps H264.mkv

\mymovie\mymovie - 4k 60 fps H265.mkv

Question: What is the fanart, thumb, poster etc. file name convention in this case so that emby automatically recognizes the pictures when I right-click an chose "update metadata"? I already tried several names (mymovie.jpg, mymovie-fanart.jpg, mymovie - 4k 60 fps H264.jpg etc) but nothing works. Seems only to work when I do it manually by klicking the 3 dots and telling emby which pics to use. However, in this case obviously emby embeds the pics to its database and does not copy any pics to the movie path.

On 2/2/2019 at 7:22 PM, cayars said:

@@Happy2Play,

If correct then

Sound correct?

That sounds correct. That is how I understood it while learning naming and versioning during development of Auto Organize.

Top Gun (1986)/Top Gun (1986) - 1080p [ Theatrical ].mkv

Creates a version: "1080p Theatrical".

Top Gun (1986)/Top Gun (1986) - 2160p [ IMAX ].mkv

Creates a version: "2160p IMAX"

Which become available on the details screen of the movie.

The square brackets should be the last part of the file naming before the file extension, and anything after the dash ("-") is what is read for version naming.

multi_version.thumb.png.fa1f952e4c1eab8fb31c76c842e0cebb.png

Dune (2021)/Dune (2021) - 1080p.mkv

Dune (2021)/Dune (2021) - 4K.mkv

Edited by chef
  • Agree 2