Disable Chromecast backdrops?

maximumentropy
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

maximumentropy

Is it possible to disable backdrops in the Chromecast ambient display?  

Or better yet, is it possible to set acceptable parental ratings for displayed backdrops?  

I just had an NC-17 backdrop show up immediately after casting some shows for my kids, and I'd like some way to ensure that doesn't happen again.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

We actually already had a max rating set to R, I will lower to PG-13. Make sure that nc-17 content actually has a rating set on it.

• Like 1

maximumentropy

Lowering to PG-13 will definitely help, as I don't want some of my R-rated backdrops displayed.

Some of my content with non-child-safe backdrops are NOT RATED.  Should I expect those backdrops will be displayed?  I can't recall if any of them have come up so far.

Thanks @@Luke!

• 10 months later...
maximumentropy

So, I haven't been using Chromecasting much recently, because I switched to an Android TV device where we mostly use the Android TV app or Kodi with the Emby add-on.

Today, a friend who has an account on my server was over, and started casting a kids movie from my server to my TV using the chromecast interface.

After it was done playing the movie, it started cycling through backdrop images, and my wife noticed the display had a cycled to a very adult image.

I promptly turned it off when she pointed it out.  I'm pretty sure none of the kids were paying attention at that point, but... really???

I'm really disappointed that this kind of issue persists.  Can it PLEASE be fixed?  All I need is a server setting "never chromecast any backdrops, just use  a plain emby logo" and I'd be happy.

Thanks.

P.S. Server is Version 3.2.40.0 and the casting device was an iPhone running the iOS client, I dunno what version.

Edited by maximumentropy

What kind of adult image, and why do you think this is an Emby problem? Does the image belong to a media item that has a rating assigned?

maximumentropy

It was a graphic backdrop, presumably from an adult video which is in the library.  It's an Emby problem because it had the Emby logo and "Ready to cast / Select your media in Emby and play it here" over the image.  I didn't stop to identify what video it might be from, as my only concern was getting it off the screen as quickly as possible.  But I don't think any of my adult videos have ratings in Emby (they are categorized as type "Home videos & photos" in the library)

P.S.: I just ran a test, and was served up a backdrop from Caligula, which is in my main movies section with no rating.  I would expect that to be blocked, as described above by Happy2Play.

Edited by maximumentropy

maximumentropy

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for that in the changelog. 

And if an option can also be added to exclude all content from the backdrop, please do so - I'm not sure my wife is going to be so understanding the third time this happens.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...